[nebukhadhnasar@yahoo.com: Ahenakew troubles]

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 17 3:58 PM

      From: nebukhadhnasar@... (Abdallah Tahhan)
      To: thekoba@...
      Subject: Ahenakew troubles
      Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 07:14:02 -0800 (PST)

      Dear Kevin,

      Thanks, belatedly, for alerting me to the article
      about former Chief Ahenakew, the Native American with
      the non-politically correct views.

      Today I got a post from a Canadian White activist,
      Paul Fromm, who got David Irving's award in
      Cincinnati, and who reports that that Ahenakew is
      predictably the target of a hate campaign (sorry, I
      guess it must be a "love campaign" since they don't
      believe in hate, only Nazis do) on the part of the
      Jewish media.

      I don't share Fromm's concern to bolster the White
      population in Saskatchewan, nor would I even care to
      echo his criticisms of Ahenakew, but at least he
      provides some further follow-up information.

      I see that Powell has now made statements impugning
      the Iraqi mass destruction weapons report. One step
      up on the White House escalation scale I suppose.
      Meanwhile in Jordan they're recruiting vollunteers to
      form brigades of human shields for sites in Iraq.

      The NY Times yesterday said that the US defense dept.
      was planning a big disinformation offensive to help
      out America's image in the Islamic world. One tactic
      is to be the funding of pro-American mosques and
      religious schools and the discrediting of the
      anti-American ones. "Kosher Islam" one might call it
      :-)

      I wonder what this PBS special about Muhammad the
      Prophet will be like. In our area it's supposed to
      air tomorrow. US-based Islamic groups are pushing it,
      so it probably says how he preached love and how
      Muslims are really decent people except for a few
      misguided baddies who fly planes into buildings
      because of their "mixed up" "erroneous" theology. It
      might even have sickening scenes of Bush visiting
      mosques to emphasise that we Americans -- Muslims,
      Christians, and Jews -- all believe in love and
      tolerance under our wise leader.

      Then again, maybe it'll be "strictly" historical.
      Somehow, in the present atmosphere, I doubt that
      though.

      -------------------

      Dear Free Speech Supporter:

      It didn't take long for the universe to descend like
      a ton of bricks
      or
      the Thunderbird's wrath on David Ahenakew, the Indian
      leader who gave
      his
      original take on World War II in a speech on the
      weekend. Ahenakew's
      on Hitler and the Jews are controversial, many would
      say wrongheaded
      and
      sweeping.

      Still, why should he not have a right to express
      himself? If he's so
      off
      base, his monied opponents, with all the armament of
      the Asper press at
      their disposal and free access to other media, can
      blow him out of the
      water. They can, for instance, explain how he's dead
      wrong that the
      Aspers
      own a large share of the Canadian mass media and
      "that's power." Of
      course,
      Ahenakew's views are sweeping and overly broad -- the
      type of talk
      you'd
      hear late at night in a bar. So what? Where he's
      wrong, he should be
      refuted.

      Instead, we see the choking hand of totalitarianism
      threatening. The
      Canadian Jewish Congress did not take long to demand
      that Ahenakew be
      stripped of his Order of Canada medal. We don't know
      what he received
      it
      for, but presumably his past achievements or position
      merited it. His
      recent statements don't nullify his past. We equally
      opposed the rush
      strip Alan Eagleson of his Order of Canada award, when
      he was convicted
      of
      financial chicanery. His crimes did not negate his
      contributions to the
      hockey world for which he'd been honoured.

      The National Post (December 16, 2002), the flagship
      of the Asper Press
      not
      surprisingly, jumped on the CJC bandwagon, endorsing
      its demand that
      the
      dissident be stripped of his honours. As well, the
      Post fell to
      instructing
      the Saskatchewan Federation of Indian Nations on what
      to do to Chief
      Ahenakew: "The position of FSIN "senator" is
      ceremonial. But clearly,
      Mr.
      Ahenakew's views are so toxic that the group should
      strip him of the
      title
      and explicitly repudiate his remarks. Mr. Ahenakew is
      also a member of
      the
      Order of Canada, our country's highest honour for
      achievement. He
      should
      lose that too."

      Alliance leader Stephen Harper, sadly, just doesn't
      get it. He's
      leaped on
      the suppression bandwagon. He wants a "hate crimes"
      investigation. Now,
      that's real "reform." The price of dissent is prison,
      fines, personal
      destruction. What ever happened to manly, muscular
      debating? Why must
      strange ideas risk sending he who utters them to
      prison or the poor
      house?

      By mid-day, Harper had his wish. The Saskatchewan
      government had asked
      the
      RCMP to initiate a thought crimes, I mean "hate
      crimes", investigation
      against the chief.

      Interestingly, Ahenakew, who doesn't seem to like
      Whites much either,
      was
      predicting that, within 40 years, Indians will be a
      majority in
      Saskatchewan and, then, Whites will become the
      Indians. "You
      (non-Indians)
      are going to be the Indians and we're going to be the
      bosses."

      If Harper and others really represented ROC -- the
      Rest of Canada;
      that
      is, other than privileged minorities -- he might be
      honouring us with
      ideas
      as to how to prevent the Indian takeover of
      Saskatchewan. How might we
      encourage Euro-Canadians to settle in Saskatchewan to
      keep the numbers
      up?
      Sadly, as so often happens, the entire issue seems to
      revolve around
      the
      feelings of one particular minority group.

      Is there a single leader is this once great Dominion
      prepared to put
      Canada -- not minorities! -- first?

      You can contact the Saskatchewan Federation of Indian
      Nations at
      Suite 200-103 A Packham Avenue
      Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
      S7N 4K4
      Telephone: (306) 665-1215
      Fax: (306) 244-4413

      Paul Fromm
      Director
      CANADIAN ASSOCIATION FOR FREE EXPRESSION INC.
      ________
      Native leader defends Hitler
      Order of Canada member: Calls Jews 'disease' and says
      Nazis were right
      'fry' them

      Les Perreaux
      National Post, with files from Southam News

      Monday, December 16, 2002

      CREDIT: Bill Keay, The Vancouver Sun

      Native leader David Ahenakew has been accused of
      racism after remarks
      he
      made on Friday.

      The Canadian Jewish Congress is calling on members of
      the Order of
      Canada
      to mobilize against a fellow member, a First Nations
      leader who said
      Jewish
      people are a disease and Hitler was right when he
      ''fried'' six million
      Jews.

      David Ahenakew, the former chief of the Assembly of
      First Nations and
      the
      Federation of Saskatchewan Indian Nations (FSIN),
      defended the
      Holocaust to
      an assembly of native leaders, saying it was an effort
      by Hitler to
      ''clean
      up the world.''

      In a rambling 45-minute speech to an assembly of
      native leaders in
      Saskatoon on Friday, Mr. Ahenakew attacked Jews and
      Asians. Later, when
      reporter asked him to clarify his remarks, Mr.
      Ahenakew, for many years
      respected senator in the FSIN, repeated his position.

      ''How do you get rid of a disease like that, that's
      going to take over,
      that's going to dominate?'' he told the Saskatoon
      StarPhoenix.

      Keith Landy, president of the Canadian Jewish
      Congress, said yesterday
      he
      hopes Mr. Ahenakew's fellow Order of Canada members
      will speak out
      against
      him and pressure the Governor-General to revoke his
      membership. Mr.
      Ahenakew was named to the order in 1978.

      ''This is really a vile speech. Before I realized who
      this was, I
      thought
      it was someone who was totally ignorant and had no
      knowledge of history
      and
      the kind of suffering our respective peoples have had
      to endure,'' Mr.
      Landy said.

      ''To hear this kind of vitriol from the mouth of
      someone who has that
      kind
      of stature sickens the heart. I would like to leave it
      to his fellow
      travellers in that order to take it upon themselves to
      decide what to
      do.''

      Stephen Harper, the leader of the Canadian Alliance,
      called on
      authorities
      to launch a hate crimes investigation.

      ''This is quite shocking. I have seen a lot of vile
      political stuff in
      my
      life, but I have never seen anything this bad,'' Mr.
      Harper said
      yesterday.

      During a conference on native health care in Saskatoon
      on Friday, Mr.
      Ahenakew's profanity-laced rant attacked immigrants
      and Jewish
      ownership of
      corporate interests.

      ''The Jews damn near owned all of Germany prior to the
      war,'' said Mr.
      Ahenakew. ''That's how Hitler came in. He was going to
      make damn sure
      that
      the Jews didn't take over Germany or Europe. That's
      why he fried six
      million of those guys, you know. Jews would have owned
      the goddamned
      world.
      And look what they're doing. They're killing people in
      Arab
      countries.''

      Mr. Ahenakew, 68, said he learned about the Second
      World War and the
      Holocaust while serving with the army in Germany in
      the 1950s and in
      Egypt
      in 1964.

      ''All I know is what the Germans told me, '' he said.
      ''I believe them.
      saw the Jews kill people in Egypt when I was there.
      The Palestinians,
      Arabs. I saw them [Israel] f---ing dominate
      everything.''

      Mr. Ahenakew took aim at Jewish owners of media,
      including Israel
      Asper.

      ''Look at here in Canada. Izzy Asper, he controls the
      media. What the
      hell
      does that tell you? That's power. That's f---ing
      power.''

      Mr. Asper is chairman of CanWest Global, owner of the
      National Post,
      the
      StarPhoenix and other major Canadian newspapers.

      ''The hell with the Jews,'' Mr. Ahenakew concluded.
      ''I can't stand
      them.
      And that's it. I don't want to talk about them.''

      Membership in the Order of Canada can be terminated by
      the
      Governor-General
      if such a recommendation is made by the Advisory
      Council of the Order
      of
      Canada. The council consists of high-ranking
      bureaucrats and other
      recipients and is chaired by Beverley McLachlin, the
      Chief Justice of
      Canada.

      Madame Justice McLachlin could not be reached
      yesterday.

      In the 36-year history of the Order of Canada, only
      one has been
      revoked.
      In 1998, former hockey czar Alan Eagleson was stripped
      of the order
      after
      he was convicted of fraud.

      In the immediate aftermath of the speech, native
      leaders in
      Saskatchewan
      said Mr. Ahen-akew's views do not represent his
      organization or Indian
      people, although they added Mr. Ahenakew has a right
      to speak his mind.

      Perry Bellegarde, the chief of the FSIN, was somewhat
      more stern
      yesterday.

      ''Dave was a national leader, a regional leader and a
      veteran. We
      respect
      him for the work he has done,'' he said. ''Having said
      that, I'm going
      be meeting with Dave and the senate executive. Dave's
      gotta account for
      his
      actions.''

      Friday's conference was intended to mobilize First
      Nations leadership
      fight a plan by the federal government to require
      Indians to sign a
      consent
      form giving up some privacy rights in their health
      care.

      Indians say the measure is unethical, an affront to
      human dignity and
      puts
      natives in a second-class category.

      Human rights and government coercion were supposed to
      be the theme of
      the
      conference.

      ''There is irony there, no question,'' Mr. Bellegarde
      said.

      A deep split was apparent yesterday in the native
      community.

      Delia Opekokew, an aboriginal lawyer, said Mr.
      Ahenakew should resign
      from
      his senate position on the FSIN.

      ''This is not an issue of freedom of speech. It is
      downright bigotry
      and
      racism and I am calling upon Senator Ahenakew to
      resign his seat
      because he
      is unfit to serve.''

      Meanwhile Lawrence Joseph, a vice-chief beneath Mr.
      Bellegarde who is
      in
      charge of justice issues, lashed out at the media for
      reporting Mr.
      Ahenakew's comments. He accused the press of ''selling
      newspapers on
      the
      backs of Indians.''

      Mr. Bellegarde said there is no mechanism currently in
      place to remove
      Mr.
      Ahenakew from the FSIN senate.

      Lperreaux@...

      � Copyright 2002 National Post
      __________
      Ahenakew's disgrace

      National Post

      Monday, December 16, 2002

      Call us pawns of the vast Jewish conspiracy that
      exists in David
      Ahenakew's
      hate-addled mind, but we were shocked and repelled by
      the Saskatchewan
      Indian leader's statement that Hitler did the world a
      favour with the
      Holocaust.

      "The Jews damn near owned all of Germany," he said on
      Friday. "That's
      how
      Hitler came in ... That's why he fried six million of
      those guys ... I
      don't support Hitler but he cleaned up a lot of
      things, didn't he? You
      would be owned by the Jews right now the world over
      ... The hell with
      the
      Jews."

      Were this man an ordinary citizen, he might be
      dismissed as a pitiable
      bigot. But Mr. Ahenakew is a former head of the
      Assembly of First
      Nations,
      Canada's leading native lobby group. His comments were
      delivered at a
      conference organized by the Federation of Saskatchewan
      Indian Nations,
      of
      which he is a senator and a former chief.

      The position of FSIN "senator" is ceremonial. But
      clearly, Mr.
      Ahenakew's
      views are so toxic that the group should strip him of
      the title and
      explicitly repudiate his remarks. Mr. Ahenakew is also
      a member of the
      Order of Canada, our country's highest honour for
      achievement. He
      should
      lose that too.

      Mr. Ahanakew would not be the first Order of Canada
      recipient to give
      up
      his membership: In 1998, an advisory council opted to
      strip disgraced
      hockey czar Alan Eagleson of his award after he was
      convicted of fraud.
      With this in mind, taking back the honour from a man
      who regards the
      Jews
      as a "disease" should not be controversial.

      � Copyright 2002 National Post

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com