a peculiar development in the war on drugs

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 19, 2002
      I have recently been afflicted of some sinus congestion, so I decided on
      my lunch period today to stop by a local Walgreens pharmacy to purchase some
      pseudoephedrine. Much to my surprise, I found the shelf bare of any
      medicines containing this drug. I inquired with a staff member, and she
      told me that pseudoephedrine could only be purchased at the counter now.
      The reason, she told me, was that people had been stealing it to make
      methamphetamine.

      That did seem odd to me. To obtain enough pseudoephedrine to make a
      respectable batch of methamphetamine would require as much as a dozen
      pharmacies carry. The amount kept on the shelves of one drug store might
      satisfy the mythical Keebler elves, but not human methamphetamine users.
      On the other hand, methamphetamine users are known to be very determined
      people. Still, that's quite a day of shoplifting to get supplies. I
      suppose it's some comfort to know that for all the other physical
      consequences of methamphetamine use, the users probably never have sinus
      congestion :-)

      --Kevin
    • snail@aztec.asu.edu
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 20, 2002
        i number of years ago (i think around 1997 or 1998)
        there was talk about and i think they passed laws
        in arizona making it illegal to buy more then 3 or
        4 packets of sinus medicine containing pseudoephedrine.

        again the intent of the law was to prevent people
        from buying large quanties of it to be used in
        making methamphetamine.

        one of the articles i clipped from the arizona
        republic at that time makes fun of the law by
        having a fake bust at a drug store that reads
        something like

        "hey you. the guy with the runny nose and
        sinus medicine put your hands up in the air,
        your under arrest for buying 4 packets of
        nasal decongestant".

        its on one of my web pages somewhere.

        at one time or another the government goons
        have talked about but not passed laws flagging
        users of draino and other products used to
        unclog kitchen and bathroom drains as potential
        drug criminals because the base product which is
        lye or sodium hydroxide is used to make methamphetamine.

        same goes for the automotive flares used to
        mark off paths around cars involved in auto accidents.
        they contain a phosperous product which is
        used to make meth. and the government has talked
        about labeling people who buy these saftey flares
        as potential drug criminals.

        again more stupid laws caused by the stupid drug war.

        mike

        --
        "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny;
        when the government fears the people, there is liberty "