one nation under allah... marching toward 1984...

  • martinjg@flash.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 15, 2002
      Subject:
      Bush Signs into Law U.S. Subjugation to God
      Date:
      Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:25:28 -0500
      From:
      "Monica Price" <mprice@...>

      For Immediate Release - November 14, 2002
      Contact: Tony Hileman (202) 238-9088

      Bush Signs into Law U.S. Subjugation to God

      (Washington, DC) Yesterday President Bush signed into law a bill reaffirming
      the reference in the Pledge of Allegiance to ours being one nation “under
      God.” Tony Hileman, executive director of the American Humanist Association
      (AHA) responded, “This legislation divides us when we need uniting, attacks
      the First Amendment when it needs bolstering, and places responsibility
      outside ourselves when we most need to accept it.

      “It is paradoxical that the words ‘under God’ and ‘indivisible’ are side by
      side in our nation’s Pledge of Allegiance. Our constitution intentionally
      had no reference to God because it’s not the job of the government to impose
      religious belief. How can a declaration of America’s subjugation to God
      unite the thirty million people in our country with no religious
      affiliation?

      “Over recent months we’ve seen an overabundance of public religious
      endorsements by government officials. This latest action is just another
      swipe at Thomas Jefferson’s wall of separation between church and state. Our
      leaders forget that such separation is what maintains religious liberty and
      protects us from theocracy.

      “By placing our trust in a higher power we relinquish responsibility at a
      time when we are struggling with a war on terrorism and contemplating
      preemptive military action against another nation. Will Bush be relying on
      divine inspiration to guide his executive decisions as he places our
      citizens in harm’s way? I hope not.”

      Congress was overwhelmingly supportive of this latest legislation with only
      Barney Frank of Massachusetts, Michael Honda and Pete Stark of California,
      Jim McDermott of Washington, and Bobby Scott of Virginia voting against the
      measure.

      Hileman concludes, “On behalf of the American Humanist Association, I
      commend these representatives who were brave enough to vote against this
      uncalled-for measure. AHA will continue to support those who speak out for
      religious liberty and freedom of conscience in defense of an indivisible
      nation.”

      # # #

      The American Humanist Association (www.americanhumanist.org) is the oldest
      and largest Humanist organization in the nation. The AHA is dedicated to
      ensuring a voice for those with a positive outlook, based on reason and
      experience, which embraces all of humanity.

      ***

      1984 marches on --->

      You Are a Suspect

      The New York Times
      http://www.nytimes.com/2002/11/14/opinion/14SAFI.html?ex=1038301234&ei=1&en=7ce710d81f62f074

      November 14, 2002
      By WILLIAM SAFIRE

      WASHINGTON - If the Homeland Security Act is not amended
      before passage, here is what will happen to you:

      Every purchase you make with a credit card, every magazine
      subscription you buy and medical prescription you fill,
      every Web site you visit and e-mail you send or receive,
      every academic grade you receive, every bank deposit you
      make, every trip you book and every event you attend - all
      these transactions and communications will go into what the
      Defense Department describes as "a virtual, centralized
      grand database."

      To this computerized dossier on your private life from
      commercial sources, add every piece of information that
      government has about you - passport application, driver's
      license and bridge toll records, judicial and divorce
      records, complaints from nosy neighbors to the F.B.I., your
      lifetime paper trail plus the latest hidden camera
      surveillance - and you have the supersnoop's dream: a
      "Total Information Awareness" about every U.S. citizen.

      This is not some far-out Orwellian scenario. It is what
      will happen to your personal freedom in the next few weeks
      if John Poindexter gets the unprecedented power he seeks.

      Remember Poindexter? Brilliant man, first in his class at
      the Naval Academy, later earned a doctorate in physics,
      rose to national security adviser under President Ronald
      Reagan. He had this brilliant idea of secretly selling
      missiles to Iran to pay ransom for hostages, and with the
      illicit proceeds to illegally support contras in Nicaragua.

      A jury convicted Poindexter in 1990 on five felony counts
      of misleading Congress and making false statements, but an
      appeals court overturned the verdict because Congress had
      given him immunity for his testimony. He famously asserted,
      "The buck stops here," arguing that the White House staff,
      and not the president, was responsible for fateful
      decisions that might prove embarrassing.

      This ring-knocking master of deceit is back again with a
      plan even more scandalous than Iran-contra. He heads the
      "Information Awareness Office" in the otherwise excellent
      Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, which spawned
      the Internet and stealth aircraft technology. Poindexter is
      now realizing his 20-year dream: getting the "data-mining"
      power to snoop on every public and private act of every
      American.

      Even the hastily passed U.S.A. Patriot Act, which widened
      the scope of the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and
      weakened 15 privacy laws, raised requirements for the
      government to report secret eavesdropping to Congress and
      the courts. But Poindexter's assault on individual privacy
      rides roughshod over such oversight.

      He is determined to break down the wall between commercial
      snooping and secret government intrusion. The disgraced
      admiral dismisses such necessary differentiation as
      bureaucratic "stovepiping." And he has been given a $200
      million budget to create computer dossiers on 300 million
      Americans.

      When George W. Bush was running for president, he stood
      foursquare in defense of each person's medical, financial
      and communications privacy. But Poindexter, whose contempt
      for the restraints of oversight drew the Reagan
      administration into its most serious blunder, is still
      operating on the presumption that on such a sweeping theft
      of privacy rights, the buck ends with him and not with the
      president.

      This time, however, he has been seizing power in the open.
      In the past week John Markoff of The Times, followed by
      Robert O'Harrow of The Washington Post, have revealed the
      extent of Poindexter's operation, but editorialists have
      not grasped its undermining of the Freedom of Information
      Act.

      Political awareness can overcome "Total Information
      Awareness," the combined force of commercial and government
      snooping. In a similar overreach, Attorney General Ashcroft
      tried his Terrorism Information and Prevention System
      (TIPS), but public outrage at the use of gossips and postal
      workers as snoops caused the House to shoot it down. The
      Senate should now do the same to this other exploitation of
      fear.

      The Latin motto over Poindexter"s new Pentagon office reads
      "Scientia Est Potentia" - "knowledge is power." Exactly:
      the government's infinite knowledge about you is its power
      over you. "We're just as concerned as the next person with
      protecting privacy," this brilliant mind blandly assured
      The Post. A jury found he spoke falsely before.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 15, 2002
        >(Washington, DC) Yesterday President Bush signed into law a bill reaffirming
        >the reference in the Pledge of Allegiance to ours being one nation �under
        >God.� Tony Hileman, executive director of the American Humanist Association
        >(AHA) responded, �This legislation divides us when we need uniting, attacks
        >the First Amendment when it needs bolstering, and places responsibility
        >outside ourselves when we most need to accept it.
        >
        >�It is paradoxical that the words �under God� and �indivisible� are side by
        >side in our nation�s Pledge of Allegiance. Our constitution intentionally
        >had no reference to God because it�s not the job of the government to impose
        >religious belief. How can a declaration of America�s subjugation to God
        >unite the thirty million people in our country with no religious
        >affiliation?
        >
        >�Over recent months we�ve seen an overabundance of public religious
        >endorsements by government officials. This latest action is just another
        >swipe at Thomas Jefferson�s wall of separation between church and state. Our
        >leaders forget that such separation is what maintains religious liberty and
        >protects us from theocracy.
        >
        >�By placing our trust in a higher power we relinquish responsibility at a
        >time when we are struggling with a war on terrorism and contemplating
        >preemptive military action against another nation. Will Bush be relying on
        >divine inspiration to guide his executive decisions as he places our
        >citizens in harm�s way? I hope not.�
        >
        >Congress was overwhelmingly supportive of this latest legislation with only
        >Barney Frank of Massachusetts, Michael Honda and Pete Stark of California,
        >Jim McDermott of Washington, and Bobby Scott of Virginia voting against the
        >measure.
        >
        >Hileman concludes, �On behalf of the American Humanist Association, I
        >commend these representatives who were brave enough to vote against this
        >uncalled-for measure. AHA will continue to support those who speak out for
        >religious liberty and freedom of conscience in defense of an indivisible
        >nation.�
        >
        ># # #
        >
        >The American Humanist Association (www.americanhumanist.org) is the oldest
        >and largest Humanist organization in the nation. The AHA is dedicated to
        >ensuring a voice for those with a positive outlook, based on reason and
        >experience, which embraces all of humanity.

        It is truly sick that the American Humanist Association's notion of
        struggling for the civil rights of non-believers is to beg to be
        included in the "war on terror" and in unprovoked warfare against the
        people of Iraq. Let the Jews and the Uncle Tom Christians have all the
        glory on that one! I don't want Bush speaking out to include unbelievers
        in such wars. I don't mind a bit if the elder Bush, or the younger Bush
        wants to say that he doesn't consider atheists to be patriots or citizens,
        because I don't consider bourgeois scum who suck kike cock like those two
        to be patriots or citizens, and neither should any real atheist.