Re: Ma'an, Jordan in state of rebellion!!

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 10, 2002
      Dear Eric,

      Great news! Thanks for all the updates.

      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 11, 2002
        ================= Begin forwarded message ==============

        Dear Kevin,

        Apparently it's not over in Ma'an yet. Today the
        authorities released the former al-Jazeera reporter
        and his brother, a writer for a local newspaper but
        the reports noted that the authorities can keep the
        charges kind of "open" and re-arrest him later if they
        feel like.

        Meanwhile, the army has been brought into Ma'an
        "thousands of troops" and government reports suggest
        that most of the town is now occupied. The government
        claims that it's captured 25 of, I think, 40 Islamic
        "fugitives" that it wanted. That's not all the
        arrests; they say in total they've arrested about 50.
        The Jordanian authorities say they've arrested a
        number of non-Jordanians as well -- Iraqis, Egyptians,
        a Syrian and an Indian -- most likely Islamicists --
        as well as Jordanians there. Residents said the
        Egyptians and Iraqis were arrested while trying to get
        arms belonging to al-Takfir wa-al-hijra out of Ma'an.
        The Syrian and Indian were arrested when they were in
        the ranks of the armed fighters.

        The government says all is quiet, eyewitnesses report
        gunfire can still be heard, but it's nothing like the
        hundreds of armed men in the streets in the last
        couple days.

        Last night I read that al-Shalabi, the one leader who
        eluded them had been captured, but I haven't heard any
        more on that. Initially he was arrested in a gunfight
        after some US diplomat was assassinated and the
        authorities started rounding up people. Wounded,
        al-Shalabi was taken to a hospital where his
        supporters found him and just took him out by force.
        Since then he was a "fugitive."

        There's one neighbourhood, however, where members of
        al-Takfir wa-al-hijrah (which also was the name of the
        Islamic group that assassinated Sadat) are holed up
        and refuse to surrender. The Jordanian army has been
        launching air assaults there with helicopters and
        gunfire is occasionally heard.

        Ma'an is said to be one of the poorest cities in
        Jordan, and a place where the fundamentalists are
        particularly active. There are secular Arab
        Nationalists active too there and they, to use the
        government's language, "do not put the authentic
        interests of Jordan first," -- in other words, they're
        not content with a few American crumbs in return for
        turning Jordan into a base from which to attack Iraq.

        The government is also saying that the fundamentalists
        are working with drug smuggler gangsters. Whether
        that's an interesting sociological development or just
        plain slander I don't know. Fundamentalists would
        abhore drug use among themselves and the Muslims in
        general. Also, one must remember that in a tribal or
        family oriented society, poverty might drive some
        members of a family to religious and/or political
        activism and other family members to crime. Yet they
        might all come together if attacked by the government.

        According to As-Safir, the Jordanian government is
        trying to make an example out of Ma'an to show what
        will happen to anyone who disturbs the tranquility of
        the country. Obviously they are concerned that things
        might get pretty hot if the US invades Iraq,
        particularly if it does so from Jordanian territory.

        Iraq's parliament went into a special session at the
        request of President Saddam Husayn to discuss
        Resolution 1441. Saadoun Hammadi, the Speaker of the
        People's Assembly, denounced the resolution as unjust
        and the Foreign Affairs committee of the Assembly
        recommended that Iraq reject the resolution because it
        is unjust and illegal (in terms of international law),
        out of keeping with past resolutions, doesn't
        acknowledge what Iraq has done to cooperate with the
        Security Council even though those earlier
        inspections, etc., were also unjust, and because this
        resolution violates Iraq's sovereignty and dignity.

        Some statement was made urging President Saddam Husayn
        to "do what he thinks best" regarding the response to
        the resolution but the People's Assembly has
        adjourned, having decided to continue the debate on
        Resolution 1441 tomorrow.

        The US has summoned the new Zionist defense minister
        Shaul Mufaz to Washington for a briefing on America's
        war plans. "As-Safir" said he was to respond to the
        invitation and arrive in Washington in very early
        December.

        Meanwhile, the Anadol News Agency says that a team of
        25 Americans made up of CIA scum and people from the
        US Departments of State and Defence are accompanying a
        or the Deputy Director of the CIA, one John McLoghlin
        (approximate spelling) in talks in Turkey designed to
        get Turkey involved in the aggression against Iraq in
        the way that the US wants.

        The Zionists have martyred three Palestinians and
        wounded four others (mostly children) as they plan
        more aggression in response to the guerrilla attack on
        a Zionist Kibbutz yesterday. In that attack a number
        of guerrillas (evidently associated with the Al-Aqsa
        Martyrs Brigades, the military wing of Fateh) shot
        several Zionist settlers, killing five, I believe,
        though more were expected to die soon since their
        wounds were severe. Some of the guerrillas were
        killed, but evidently some escaped. A Zionist paper
        said they plan to attack the Fateh people in Nablus --
        the West Bank city that they think the guerrillas came
        from.

        Meanwhile Arafat has ordered an investigation into the
        guerrilla raid on the Zionist kibbutz and the Fateh
        leadership has disavowed any connection with the
        attack.

        Netanyahu, the new foreign minister designate of the
        rapist state, has called for getting rid of Arafat
        because he's "responsible" for the "terrorist"
        attacks.

        Interestingly, Netanyahu, who plans to run against
        Sharon in elections early next year, and who
        represents at least an equally racist Jewish current,
        has been holding meetings with a view to his election.
        He told one closed meeting that his plan to cope with
        the Zionist entity's crumbling economy involves
        getting rid of the Shekel and making the US dollar or
        maybe the Euro the official currency.

        Well, that's the big news from over there. I think
        Bush made some threatening remarks against Iraq in
        connection with ... whatever today is now called ...
        the former Armistice Day. (I can't remember if it's
        Veterans' Day or Memorial Day.) The post office,
        which was closed, flew that black and white pirate
        flag -- otherwise known as the MIA flag. A stupid
        gesture, since the MIA issue was a propaganda red
        herring raised by Nixon to begin with and now is
        completely ludicrous. After all, the USA with its
        sink hole in Guantanamo and its various prisons across
        the country probably holds the largest number of MIAs
        in the world right now.

        Well, that's pretty much the rundown. Oh, did you
        ever see the photos that were leaked out showing how
        the US flies its prisoners to Guantanamo? All bound
        and blindfolded in a transport plane. Extremely
        uncomfortable for a trip that must last about 25 to 30
        hours. If you haven't seen them, I got some from an
        Islamic site and can forward them to you if you remind
        me of the e-mail address where you can recieve
        pictures. There's a big scandal now, because the US
        government is concerned about who leaked the pictures
        (that were sent anonymously to a website, apparently).
        Most likely it must be a soldier or else somebody that
        got them from a soldier. Obviously the US authorities
        are concerned about their image, though, not about the
        conditions aboard the planes.

        Oh, yes another interesting tidbit. When I wrote that
        "appreciation" of the UN Resolution 1441 the other
        day, I thought I might be going out on a limb when I
        said that the inspectors might try to arrest President
        Saddam Husayn for interrogation. But last night I
        read in al-Quds al-Arabi that the USA correspondent
        for a pro-Saudi Arabic paper asked Hans Blix
        specifically about this -- whether the inspectors
        would try to take Saddam Husayn into custody for
        interrogation -- and he refused to comment!