[nebukhadhnasar@yahoo.com: Re: blaming everyone but the real culprit]

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2002

      From: nebukhadhnasar@... (Abdallah Tahhan)
      To: thekoba@...
      Subject: Re: blaming everyone but the real culprit
      Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 06:47:54 -0700 (PDT)

      Dear Kevin,

      I agree. This age of both parents working has
      apparently inculcated into people the idea that 'child
      rearing' means going off and leaving small children to
      wander about at will -- and not only going off to
      work, but going off to party, watch the game, get
      high, take a nap, etc.

      In Dallas I can remember a few cases where drive-by
      shootings or hit-and-run drivers claimed the lives of
      young children -- who, it turned out, were playing in
      their front yard at 1 or 2 am. What's wrong with that
      picture? And while I don't condone kidnappings, many
      of them too are facilitated by inadequate parental or
      adult supervision. Even when children are abducted
      from homes it frequently turns out that nobody
      bothered to lock the doors when going to bed.

      Of course in kidnappings, the blame is entirely put on
      whomever they arrest for the crime. In situations
      such as this, however, some people want to blame
      "society" and then make a profit in the bargain. That
      is doubly shocking.

      The individualist, me-first capitalist society in
      which we live teaches everyone that tending to his own
      personal pleasure is the top priority; everybody else
      must look out for himself. Social consciousness and
      responsibility are "dangerous" traits because they
      might make people question the wisdom of their
      war-crazed presidents.

      Like those irresponsible parents, "our" leaders draw
      up hit lists of "rogue states" to be overthrown,
      commit or contribute to wholesale slaughter of people
      and destruction of nations in such places as Palestine
      and Iraq. But then, like those parents in your
      letter, they scream "somebody's going to pay for
      this!" when they receive disproportionately small
      retaliation for their outrageous behaviour in the form
      of attacks on their world trade towers and military
      headquarters building.

      http://sbc.yahoo.com