Re: [azsecularhumanists] baseball - you can help

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2002
      Yes, I'm afraid this is where my sympathy for trade-unions stops
      dead. Still, it is not just the players who have been fleecing
      the fans. The owners have been stealing our tax money to build
      stadiums for private use. Fans should also engage in some self-
      criticism for being willing to pay such high prices. After all,
      if owners can move franchises and players can go on strike, fans can
      boycott.

      In some countries teams have been organised by the workers in factories,
      collective farms and other job sites. That way those who enjoy playing
      sports could do so, and those who enjoy watching could do so at reasonable
      prices or free of charge. True these teams didn't set any records, but
      I'm sure they were competent enough to be entertaining. Indeed such teams
      have existed in the USA, and not all that long ago.

      There is a rotten decadent psychology about this that causes people
      to prefer to spend vast quantities of money to see some star promoted
      by the mass media to spending a reasonable fee to see a baseball game
      played by unknown people. Sure Luis Gonzalez is good, but is he THAT
      good, THAT much more entertaining than your friends on the company team
      that it's worthwhile to spend $100 to see him, spend more money on fan
      hats and fan T-shirts, and have your tax money stolen for the privilege?
      I think not, but I seem to be in the minority.

      Will a strike be the end of baseball? Probably not. Will it be the end
      of PROFESSIONAL baseball? Probably not that either, but we can only hope.