kevin walsh - jailed for 6 months with out a trial - political prisoner???

  • Mike Ross
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2004
      i talked to someone who went to kevins hearing
      yesterday. he said it wa pretty much a kangaroo
      court. im repeating here what he told me.

      secret service special agent Ray La beau
      said that kevin was crazy and should be
      locked up.

      two shrinks also said that kevin was
      crazy and should be locked up.

      the cops admitted that they had their
      guns draw when they approched kevin
      to arrest him. they also said that
      kevin drew his gun when the cops
      approached him.

      im not sure if there was a screw up
      in that no arrest warrent was issued
      for kevin. agent ray la buea said that
      he was not aware that an arrest warrent
      was required to detain kevin. i dont
      know if this means that an arrest warrent
      was needed to arrest kevin, but was not
      issued.

      no evidence was presented on kevin
      committing any crimes or threating
      the president.

      kevin did have some type
      of counsel to represent him. kevins
      counsel said something to the effect
      that kevins civil rights were being
      violated.

      but that didnt matter. the judge
      ordered that kevin be locked up
      in the mental hospital for up to
      180 days at the descrition of the
      people that run the mental hospital.

      kevin can be contacted at:

      480-344-2193

      or visited at:

      Desert Vista Campus
      Maricopa Medical Center
      570 Brown Road
      Mesa, Arizona

      mike

      Government is the great fiction, through
      which everybody endeavors to live at the
      expense of everybody else.

      Frederic Bastiat, French Economist (1801-1850)
      Premium Accounts for Legal Professionals
      http://1stcounsel.com/
    • auvenj
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2004
        This is indeed an ominous development.

        Kevin's claims to the contrary notwithstanding, Kevin and I are
        adversaries not allies. With a few exceptions (the war in Iraq and
        self defense rights) we disagree on just about everything of
        political consequence.

        However, when the government can come in and lock someone up because
        they don't like what the person said...to a telemarketer or anyone
        else...the first amendment is dead. When they can lock up a person
        for 6 months with no trial and no criminal charges just by asserting
        they are "crazy"...the fifth and sixth amendments are dead. The
        death of the bill of rights is something we've known in the abstract
        for some time, but it certainly feels different when it's someone
        you've met or debated extensively online as I have debated Kevin. I
        would feel the same way about it whether the person was a
        Republican, or a Democrat, or a Communist like Kevin, or a
        Libertarian like me.

        For the record, I do believe that Kevin is crazy. You have to be
        crazy to praise the death and destruction that occurred on 9/11, and
        you have to be crazy to view communism as anything other than the
        oppressive tyranny that it has been in every country it has been
        tried in. But then...I also believe that most Republican
        politicians are crazy. You have to be crazy to think people you've
        bombed and blockaded for a decade will welcome you with open arms,
        and you have to be crazy to call yourself the party of smaller
        government/limited government/whatever when you've grown government
        at the fastest rate in recent history. And I also believe that most
        Democratic politicians are crazy. You have to be crazy to think you
        can reduce health care costs by getting the government more involved
        with it, and you have to be crazy to think that disarming upstanding
        citizens will somehow reduce crime.

        People should not be locked up just because they're crazy. If that
        were the standard, the majority of the population and almost all of
        the politicians would have to be locked up. As crazy people go,
        Kevin is one of the more lucid, articulate, and knowledgeable. :-)

        There has to be a higher standard for locking people up than the
        assertion that they are "crazy", specifically: They've either
        committed a serious crime, or there is overwhelming evidence that
        they're planning, ready, willing, and able to commit a serious
        crime. Either way, there has to be a trial on the matter. If
        they're truly dangerous (whether crazy or not) that can be
        demonstrated at trial.

        On the other hand, if they're crazy but not dangrerous, then the
        government has no business locking them up. It's the "dangerous"
        question that should be the issue, not the "crazy" question. It's a
        pretty simple principle.

        If Kevin was actually planning and capable of some real crime
        against the president or anyone else, there are more than enough
        laws to cover that sort of thing.

        Instead, what this amounts to is the U.S. government taking a vocal
        political dissident out of circulation for at least the duration of
        an election. Without even bothering to trump up a charge!

        Roll that one over in your mind a few times.

        That I disagree with the majority of this particular political
        dissident's political views, even to the point of considering
        them "crazy", doesn't alter the fact that this action is something
        we would expect to see out of a third-world tin-pot dictatorship or
        (ironically) one of Kevin's beloved communist "worker's states" like
        Cuba or North Korea. It's not something we should expect or stand
        for in a country that calls itself the land of liberty.

        You bet your ass Kevin is a political prisoner. That's exactly what
        we're doing, too (betting our asses) because we could be next.

        Disgusted...
        --Jason Auvenshine

        --- In azsecularhumanists@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Ross"