pathetic Muslim "anti-terror" rally in Phoenix

  • Kevin Walsh
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 26, 2004
      The following article, attributed to Arizona Republic reporter
      Judi Villa appeared on page B1 of the Monday, April 26, 2004 edition
      of the Arizona Republic. I had not bothered to attend the rally,
      but given how silly it was and given how most in attendance were not
      Muslims, I suppose I'd have been a fitting opponent with an "Atheist
      for armed resistance" sign. I am very glad that most Muslims here
      had the decency not to be a part of that rally.

      --Kevin Walsh

      RALLY BY MUSLIMS KNOCKS TERRORISM

      Radicals Assailed For Abusing Islam

      Hundreds of residents from across the Valley gathered at Phoenix's
      Patriots Square Park to join what is believed to be the nation's first
      Muslim rally against terrorism.

      "The killing of innocent people out of revenge, out of hate or out of
      retribution is against the absolute laws of Islam," said Zuhdi Jasser,
      a physician who organized the rally. "Suicide is against the absolute
      laws of Islam.

      "People can justify their actions all day long, but we as Muslims
      are here to say clearly their actions are against everything we
      believe."

      Jasser said he was motivated to organize the rally by ongoing claims
      that moderate Muslims in the United States have not voiced a
      "groundswell of condemnation" against the terrorist activity that
      destroyed the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.

      Jasser said the rally was a way for Muslims to reclaim their faith
      from those who have exploited it for selfish purposes.

      "We do need to stop killing in the name of God," said Shirley Spencer
      f Phoenix, who attended the rally with her husband, Gene. "It hasn't
      gotten us anywhere so far."

      "We're not working and playing together well," Gene said.
      "Cockroaches do better than we do."

      Soul Khalsa, a Sikh minister, told the crowd that terrorists may
      still inflict damage in the future but "their day is fading."

      "Those people who exploit religion for their own power and greed
      are a dying breed," Khalsa said. "They are the dinosaurs of the
      modern era."

      Gene Spencer listened to the words and was optimistic such rallies
      could lead to change.

      "It's just a little voice but it's a voice. It's a start," he said.
      "It's a little electrode but if it bounces against another, who knows
      what might happen."

      The majority of the estimated 250 in attendance Sunday night were not
      Muslim. They were people like Michael Fischer, 18, of Glendale, who
      wanted to denounce the stereotyping of Muslims; and Grace Clark of
      Apache Junction, who wanted to promote peace.

      "You just feel like you want to do something," Clark said. "I would
      like to see the whole world get more together. People who are
      willing to come together are the only hope we have."

      Azra Hussain, a Muslim from Scottsdale, told the crowd that the Islam
      religion teaches followers to be patient, kind and helpful, and is
      "very clear on the sanctity of human life."

      "I am opposed to killing in any form by anyone," she said. "I know
      what Islam teaches us and that we should know better."

      Ali Homsi, a Muslim from Tempe, said the actions of terrorists "can
      only be considered crimes" under Islamic law.

      "They hide behind the shields of religion while using God's words to
      justify evil," Homsi said. "This will take all our prayers and good
      actions to combat. I believe we can make a difference. When someone
      kills another innocent person, the damage will be to each and every
      one of us."

    • Mike Ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2004
        to me its no different then the christians
        who protest the war.

        perhaps they should call it what it is
        and say its a protest of "superstitious dopes"
        against the war. then the christians, hindus,
        budhists, and muslims could all go together.
        people who believe in magic protesting the
        war.

        mr liberal asked me why i didnt attend and
        i told him because i was not superstitious
        and didnt beleive in supernatural beings
        and that i wouldnt attend any rally put
        on by superstitious folks.

        mike

[...]

        Community email addresses:
         Post message: azsecularhumanists@onelist.com
         Subscribe:    azsecularhumanists-subscribe@onelist.com

        Shortcut URL to this page:
         http://www.onelist.com/community/azsecularhumanists
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        ---- End Original Message ----

        Government is the great fiction, through
        which everybody endeavors to live at the
        expense of everybody else.

        Frederic Bastiat, French Economist (1801-1850)
        Premium Accounts for Legal Professionals
        http://1stcounsel.com/