Buddhist graffiti?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2004
      Late this morning I entered the lavatory of a fast food establishment in
      central Phoenix and saw a swastika inscribed on the wall. There was some
      writing next to it. I assumed it would be something racist, but much to
      my surprise, the inscription read, "Footsteps of the Buddha". Religious
      graffiti is rather unusual on lavatory walls, but this was extraordinary.

      "I, Ernst Zundel, do solemnly swear that I will lie and nothing
      but lie, because the truth is not a defense at this hearing."
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2004

        >Dear Kevin,
        >
        >So, was it a Chinese fast food place?
        >
        >I found Russian graffiti in a toilet on one university
        >campus once. But they were perhaps beginning students
        >because I had to correct their spelling.

        No, it was a hamburger establishment known as Wendy's,
        across the street from the Veterans' Administration
        hospital. I would have understood it more in an Asian
        restaurant, so this is indeed peculiar. Then again a
        lot of the veterans at the hospital fought wars in Asia
        and perhaps picked up some of this information there.

        The most unusual graffiti I have observed was that on
        the walls of the lavatories of the Physics and
        Atmospheric Sciences Building on the University of
        Arizona campus when I was a graduate student there.
        I won't repeat obscenities in detail on an e-mail that
        is being sent to a public message board, but I will say
        that the physicists, meteorologists, and mathematicians
        there had an interesting way of combining obscenity
        with technical terms and mathematical formulae.