some groups can't get public recognition for public service

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 2004
      I lived in Tucson from 1988 to 1993, and during that time I often participated
      in the activities of the local groups affiliated with American Atheists.
      One programme available to public organisations and businesses was the
      Adopt A Highway Program, in which the organisation or business would pledge
      to remove rubbish from the side of a particular strech of road or highway
      and in return signs would be erected naming that organisation or business.
      Many businesses have done this and failed to clean the highway in question,
      effectively getting free advertising from the government. We decided to
      do this in good faith, and, much to our surprise, there was no resistance
      from the government. A strech of Highway 86 west of Tucson was named
      "American Atheist Highway", and signs to that effect were erected. Unlike
      many other groups, we actually did clean up that highway. Several sundays
      we would go out as a group and remove rubbish. Certain groups, however,
      about as unpopular as we, have found that this does not extend to them, and
      apparently Wisconsin's government doesn't want anyone cleaning the highway
      who is wearing white sheets under his orange safety vest :-) The following
      article, attributed only to wire services, appeared on page A7 of the
      Tuesday, February 3, 2004 edition of the Arizona Republic.

      --Kevin Walsh

      Madison, Wisconsin--Since the Ku Klux Klan volunteered to clean up a
      strech of highway in northern Wisconsin two years ago, state lawmakers
      have failed to rename the road as an act against the group's ideology.
      The state Assembly is scheduled to vote today Tuesday oon a bill to rename
      a two-mile stretch of Wisconsin 122 in Iron County.

      --
      "We are 50 or 100 years behind the most advanced countries. We must make good
      that distance in ten years. Either we do it or we go under."

      --Josef Stalin, August 1931