Fwd: [arab_nationalist] VERY Important interview with Iraqi resistance front

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2004

      Jan. 31, 2004

      �We will spread the fire�
      Interview with Jabbar al-Kubaysi on the incipient political resistance front

      http://www.antiimperialista.com/view.shtml?category=all&id=1075589136&keyword=+

      General view of the situation of the resistance
      How does the resistance against the occupation develop?

      I give you an example from all day life which reflects how the mobilisation
      has been penetrating into the people. Old women are considered as not to be
      interested in politics. However, during my permanent travels throughout the
      county I am often experiencing situations where elder women ask their sons
      and grandsons why they are still at home and not out there fighting with the
      resistance. The resistance is not considered as the endeavour of some
      radicals but as an integral part of the people. Everybody has to contribute
      in the way one is able to.

      But isn�t there significant difference between the Shi�ite South and the
      Sunni North?

      The difference is much less than displayed by the Western media. For example
      in the last Ramadan Sunni and Shi�ites commenced fasting on the same day for
      the first time since the schism. This is an irrefutable sign. The strata of
      collaborators from the clerics, sheikhs, self-proclaimed politicians and the
      so-called civil society of returned Westernized intellectuals and artists is
      very thin. Also the armed forces of Hakim�s al-Badr brigades and Talabani�s
      militias, who under the guise of punishing Baathists terrorized all those
      who sympathized with the resistance, are now forced to go underground. They
      have lost all credit for their collaboration while the supporters of the
      resistance come to the light of day swimming on a growing tide of popular
      anger. Only in the last period the main Southern towns of Kut, Nasseriya and
      Amara saw mass demonstrations clashing with the occupation forces claiming
      about one dozen dead and an even higher number of causalities. Those taking
      to the streets were mainly former public employees like teachers, university
      professor, civil servants, clerks or soldiers who have been dismissed en
      masse by the occupants accusing them of being Baathists. Many of them were
      really members of the Baath party, some for conviction more for their
      professional career � by the way the majority of them naturally of Shia
      background. Half a year ago that would have been impossible as the pro-US
      forces entering with the invaders conducted an outright McCarthyist witch
      hunt with thousands and thousands killed. Today the political climate has
      radically turned around. Baath party members and Baathism is accepted again
      as a part of the Iraqi national tradition. The demonstrators did not only
      ask to be re-employed and that their wages are being paid but they combined
      their social demands with the end of the occupation. Also the level of
      military attacks in the South is increasing. In all the big cities
      resistance actions are being carried out. Some places like Baquba located in
      the Diala province, where Shia and Sunni are completely mixed, is under full
      control of the resistance. You will see in some months the South will reach
      the level of the North and will possibly even overtake it. Bear in mind that
      it is the poorest area of the country and our national hardship hitting
      hardest there.

      What are the strongholds of the resistance?

      Look, the situation is very dynamic. Maybe the South is today in the same
      stage as places like Falluja have been in summer. For example the Americans
      are imposing curfews on nearly any town. In Falluja it is the other way
      round. The resistance has imposed a curfew on them. They had to leave the
      town and to build their bases outside for the unsustainable level of
      attacks. After the night falls they have to keep outside town. But there are
      also other cities the resistance controls completely. The occupants are
      resorting to collective punishment of the civilian population like the
      Zionists do in Palestine. Especially grave is the situation in Tikrit were
      entire villages were destroyed and fenced off.

      Did the humiliating capture of Saddam Hussein have the negative effect on
      the resistance as the US proclaimed it?

      Certainly the presentation of Saddam Hussein in front of the media was a
      meticulously planned propaganda success. But on the ground it changed
      nothing. On the contrary, the overall unity of the resistance has been
      strengthened. Many Baathists who did not agree to the rule of Saddam Hussein
      and who were opposed to him playing at least the role of a leader by honour,
      now actively engage in the resistance. The different Baathist groups became
      much more flexible in their decisions. And on the other side the Islamic
      forces increased their co-operation. Saddam, despite the fact that a big
      majority did not agree to this methods of rule, is about to become a symbol
      of resistance. Even on Western TV networks they showed demonstrations
      carrying the pictures of Saddam defaming those boys of being
      Saddam-loyalists. The people have nothing to do with Saddam. They just use
      him as a symbol to defy the occupants just like many secular women wear the
      veil as a symbol against the occupation.

      The political resistance front

      Why there is still no political resistance front in place?

      There is no need to hurry. The level of military resistance is so high, from
      45 to 70 attacks per day, that they create enormous military, financial and
      political problems for the US. In a certain sense the resistance has already
      been retarding their global preventive war. On the political level the US
      proved completely unable to stabilise the situation. Their so-called
      Governing Council is more and more isolated. Not only their members but also
      the parties collaborating must be protected by the occupants showing to the
      people what they really are. I give you an example from my home town
      Falluja. After the arrest of Saddam the masses took to the streets � like in
      many other cities � and destroyed the offices of four collaborating parties.
      As revenge the US came by tanks and destroyed the office of the Patriotic
      Alliance. So time plays for the Iraqi people and against the US. However,
      the main components of the resistance have already been assembled and a
      draft programme is being discussed. Thus the front will be proclaimed soon.
      When the US will try to pass some power to their puppets scheduled for the
      mid of the year, it might be already able to function as an alternative.

      What is the programme of the political resistance front?

      1) All foreign troops must leave Iraq and the occupation must be ended. We
      stand for a fully sovereign, independent and united Iraq. 2) All means to
      resist the imperialist-Zionist project of occupation are legitimate. 3) The
      occupation is completely illegal. Therefore we demand full reparation by the
      aggressors. 4) All institutions created by the occupant are null and void.
      We will not accepted them and the resistance will regard them as legitimate
      target even if they are iraqised. 5) The liberated Iraq we are fighting for
      is based on equal rights for all citizens, on political freedom, on a
      constitution decided upon by the people. It will protect the Arab-Islamic
      culture of Iraq. 6) The US occupation of Iraq is inextricably linked to the
      Zionist one of Palestine. There is a common imperialist-Zionist project to
      oppress the Arab people which the Arab nation has to defeat commonly. 7) The
      political front is open for all forces even if they decide later to join us.
      8) The aggression and occupation of Iraq is only one part of the grand
      strategy of the US to erect its global empire. Therefore our struggle is an
      integral part to defend humanity against its greatest enemy, the US. 9) We
      will take steps to build an Arab and international front for the liberation
      of Palestine and Iraq and to defeat the American empire.

      Who are the components of the political resistance front?

      There are four main currents spread throughout the country. There is
      ourselves, the �Iraqi Patriotic Alliance� which I can roughly describe as
      anti-imperialist, Arab nationalist, striving for democracy and social
      justice as well as respecting and defending our Islamic heritage. There is
      the Sunni �Islamic Committee� which regroups the main Islamic leaders being
      strongly opposed to the Muslim Brotherhood which is collaborating with the
      enemy. They are ready to work with everybody who is resisting including
      Christians and Communists. The third force are the Nasserists who are about
      to reorganise. And finally there are the anti-imperialist communists of the
      �Central Command� who are long-term friends of us who we hope to be able to
      convince. While the mainstream ICP was co-operating and governing with
      Saddam in the 70s the anti-imperialist communists and the left Baathists
      were put to prisons. Furthermore there are several other parties and
      associations of regional character as well as a range of recognized
      dignitaries.

      What about Shia representatives?

      First of all Shi�ite people are well represented in most of the forces
      named, in some they are even the majority. You have to overcome the idea
      spread by the Americans that the Shia society is an own, fully separated
      entity. Most of the Shia people consider themselves Arab Iraqis and
      participate as such in political life. While they observe the traditional
      gestures of courtesy to the clerics, only a minority follow them
      politically. If you do not believe it, the forthcoming events will show it.
      The only possibility for the Shia clerics to be accepted is to support the
      resistance. And there is a growing number of Shia clerics and sheikhs
      supporting our incipient political front.

      And Muqtada al Sader?

      He plays an ambiguous role. On one hand his supporters from the poor classes
      exert considerable pressure on him to join the resistance. We are in close
      contacts to many leaders of his movement who honestly promised to
      co-operate. On the other hand there is a strong Iranian influence on him
      working in the other direction. You have to bear in mind that he is a boy of
      24 years. In a society were seniority counts, he seems virtually to be torn
      apart by the different forces trying to drag him. Anyway, we will try to
      keep relations with him but we cannot allow that such wavering forces speak
      on behalf of the political front. One day he proclaims a counter-government
      and to build an army and the next one he declares the Americans to be
      friends and that the resistance can only use peaceful means.

      Is it true that al-Sader commands his own militia?

      No, you cannot compare the militias of al-Badr and the one of Talabani with
      the forces of al-Sader. The first ones have trained personnel, a command
      chain and receive a pay. Concerning Al-Sader you must be aware that there
      are plenty of weapons around. The Americans tolerate that he surrounds
      himself with some armed followers but is not much more than that. In any
      case, there is nothing professional.

      But isn�t the Shia believer bound to the word of his cleric leader?

      Do not underestimate the daily effect of the occupation. To capture one man
      the US army terrorises entire blocks or villages. If they are not able to
      arrest the searched for person they punish entire families by destroying
      their houses just imitating the Zionist terror against the Palestinians � we
      keep records of more than 1100 private houses deliberately destroyed for
      punishment. While there the olive trees are being uprooted, here they burn
      our palm trees as alleged hide-outs of our guerrilla. On check points
      children of less that ten years are being killed because they point with a
      plastic gun at the invaders. Three such cases have been reported during
      Ramadan, so that parents avoid to give the traditional arm toys to their
      boys. If they feel in danger they tend to pull the trigger indiscriminately.
      This is not happening only in the North but throughout the country affecting
      everybody. So also the Shia people will follow those who call for
      resistance. It will be the turn of at least a section of the clerics to
      follow the growing mood of resistance. But there are also many who use the
      reluctant posture of the clerics as excuse. If the Ayatollahs once will call
      to resistance they suddenly will not obey. So it is first of all a matter of
      politics and not of religion. Don�t forget that the Shia population has been
      highly politicised and the traditional social and cultural structure much
      less preserved than in other milieus.

      Democratic Constituent Assembly

      What you think of the demand for a Democratic Constituent Assembly?

      If I travel Iraq and speak to the ordinary people of democracy they will hit
      me with their shoes. What does democracy mean? They know that the embargo
      against them was imposed in order to establish democracy, the war against
      them was waged in order to bring democracy upon them and now we are being
      occupied for the sake of democracy. The democracy they mean is a weapon
      against our people because we do not want to subordinate to the Western
      world.

      But any liberation struggle, any revolution overturning the oppressor�s
      regime must rely on the popular masses?

      Certainly, however, you have to consider that we do not have such a
      tradition of a popular assembly. We cannot go against the traditional social
      habits and networks even more as they are largely resisting the occupation.
      We have to combine those elements with the popular movement on the political
      base of the struggle against the occupation. We will organise national
      assemblies of representatives of the resisting workers, peasants, students
      and the popular masses in general combined for example with mass
      demonstrations. All that will de-legitimise the Governing Council installed
      by the US or any such puppet institution.

      According to which principles a counter power will be organised?

      It will be based on the sovereignty of the Iraqi people that means on our
      own democracy following the interests of our people and not of imperialism.
      We are striving for a new democratic constitution decided upon by the people
      exerting their right to self-determination. It will be based on equal rights
      for every citizen regardless of religion or nationality, on the right to
      form political parties and to elect them. A free Iraq will defend our
      Islamic-Arab culture.

      United Nations

      Many say that only under the control of the UN free elections can take
      place?

      How can any sane person believe that the Iraqi people would trust in the UN?
      The UN imposed an embargo on us claiming the lives of nearly 2 million
      people and devastating a formerly rich country. The UN justified the
      aggression against Iraq in 1991 and did not dare to say a single word on the
      permanent violation of international law by the US and the UK. The UN is
      nothing else as a puppet of American imperialism. International law
      apparently does not apply neither for them nor for us. They violate it with
      impunity and we are denied it. Zionism for example does nothing else than to
      break any international regulation without any punishment. International law
      is a bad joke. We will not allow any country to occupy us whether it is
      under the guise of the UN or any other body. If we hold elections we are
      ready to invite international observers but we will exclude any country
      which served the US occupation.

      They claim that without the UN civil war will break out?

      This is what they try to instigate. They like to set Sunni against Shia, the
      Kurds with the Shia against the Sunni, the Muslims against the Christians
      and so on. What they wish to destroy is our Arab-Islamic identity which
      unifies us. Therefore only the resistance can unite the entire Iraqi people.
      Only unified we will be able to get rid of the occupation and you will see
      that also among the Kurds, whose current leadership of Barzani and Talabani
      are intensely collaborating with the US, the resistance will grow adopting
      Islam as the common band with the Arabs.

      How you think to be able to win against the entire world claiming to be
      unified in the UN?

      We can only spit on the so-called international community and the
      democratic, civilized world who participated at any possible crime committed
      against our people. Who took our side when we were starved to death and
      bombed relentlessly? We don�t care for all of that when it is only designed
      to oppress us. What kind of civilization is this which provides us only with
      destruction? Therefore we are enemies of this imperialist world order. In
      fact Iraq is a decisive battle ground for the fate of the US empire. The
      Iraqi people will show the world what the empire is vincible provided that
      several factors come together. First of all the resistance inflicts
      increasing losses on the occupants not only in a military sense but also
      politically and morally on a level they will not stand. The longer it takes
      the better for the resistance. On the other hand the resistance will spread
      the fire outside the Iraqi borders as the occupation of Iraq and Palestine
      is directed against the entire Arab and Muslim world and therefore a concern
      for all of them. All the puppet regimes of the US will be attacked to
      finally liberate our lands from imperialism and Zionism. So it is a struggle
      for humanity and therefore we depend also on the support of all movements
      and peoples fighting for their liberation from US imperialism.

      The situation of all day life

      How is the situation of the ordinary people evolving?

      I already described the brutality and arbitrariness by which the occupants
      antagonize the population. There are many things to be added. For example
      about 2.000 rapes by US soldiers as well as more than 500 children sexually
      abused. Nobody speaks of the civilian victims of the occupation. Every day
      about 40 to 50 people get killed alone in the area of Baghdad. The doctors
      report that about 20 of them show wounds caused by ammunition only in use by
      the US troops. As a reaction the Governing Council has banned any statistics
      indicating the type of bullet having inflicted injury. Then there is the
      incredible theft the US and its Iraqi henchmen are committing. Where is the
      income from the more than 2 million barrel of crude oil they sell per day?
      Why water, electricity, telephone and other basic services are still not
      restored while US enterprises are reported to make fantastic fortunes with
      our money. They have dismissed millions of state employees under the pretext
      that they would be Baathists. Their posts are now occupied by completely
      incompetent collaborators whose families often have a record of
      collaboration already with the British for example like Chalabi or Pachachi.
      They all bring their relatives with the only aim to steal as much as
      possible in a time as short as possible. At the same time huge industrial
      equipments have been dismounted in the period right after the war and
      transferred to Iran. If you now enter factories or industrial plants you
      will find only empty halls. Eventually we have been completely
      de-industrialised. Concerning the supply for basic consumer goods the UN
      programme �Oil for Food� was stopped but many of the contracts have been
      delayed due to the war. So for some months the basic livelihood will still
      be provided but after the people will starve. Only these rations still mute
      the rising inflation. But then it will skyrocket. Already now the prices for
      hydrocarbon products have multiplied. In one of the oil richest countries of
      the world people have to queue for fuel. Not to speak of the complete lack
      of public security. People and especially women are frightened to leave the
      house as the Americans do not care about criminal activities.

      What about the prison camps?

      There are currently about 42.000 Iraqis illegally detained in four prisons
      compounds admitted by the occupants. We have reason to assume that in fact
      there are another 20.000 in unknown detention camps. The treatment of all
      these prisoners is in violation of any international regulation. Often
      inmates are not even told why they have been imprisoned. There is neither
      legal procedure nor any trials. The occupation authorities do not consider
      themselves accountable to give information to relatives or lawyers. People
      are released as arbitrarily as they are detained, often on condition of
      collaboration. They do not get enough food, the sanitary standards are
      subhuman, torture is common. Some hundred died from mistreatment and even
      more result permanently disabled. There are even some hundred children and
      women incarcerated. About 6.000 have been kidnapped of half of which the
      dead corpses have been found.

      But isn�t the recent release of about 500 prisoners a step to a relaxation
      of the situation?

      No, this means nothing. Since the beginning of the occupation a total of
      182.000 peoples have been put behind bars of which the majority have been
      released again. In this sense the bombastically declared release is just
      routine.

      The US announced that they have brought the free press to Iraq?

      This is completely ridiculous. Only media working with the occupation are
      allowed. To speak or to write against the occupation has been declared a
      crime. All the newspapers siding with the resistance have been banned. The
      last free media outlet was closed in October. The newspaper was called
      �al-Raia� (The flag). You also know that the US force upon the big Arab
      satellite networks like al-Jazira or al-Arabiyya not to overstep a certain
      limit. For example a resistance cell sent them a video of three captured US
      officers but they refrained from broadcasting it. Having experienced their
      expulsion from Iraq and bearing the open menaces from the US in mind, they
      perform a kind of auto-censorship.

      The military resistance

      Who is carrying the military resistance?

      It is estimate that the by now between 70.000 and 100.000 fighters joined
      the ranks of the resistance carrying out 45-70 attacks per day all over the
      country. The resistance is neither strictly centralised nor rigidly
      controlled by a leadership from above. Young men joint it regardless whether
      Islamic or Baathist forces command. The allegiances simply mix up depending
      on the most experiences commanders � often dismissed soldiers � in a certain
      area. In one resistance cell you can find fighters who consider themselves
      as Nationalists, Baathists, Islamists or even Communists. But they have all
      in common that they want to defend the Arab-Islamic homeland.

      How one can legitimise attacks on the occupants claiming a much higher
      number of civilian dead?

      There is a lot of propaganda around this issue. Who is interested in showing
      to the world that the resistance is allegedly killing Iraqi civilians?
      Certainly the occupants. So there have been several bomb blasts with a high
      number of civilian dead for which the guerrilla is not responsible and one
      can only suspect the US or Israeli intelligence behind it. You have also to
      acknowledge that the US army is deliberately using Iraqi civilians as human
      shields. They always try to have civilian cars around their convoys and to
      stay in the crowd as much as possible to make attacks hurt also civilians.
      During the Ramadan when people are all at home after sunset there was also a
      much lower presence of the occupants in the streets. Nevertheless, while
      eating you could her the freedom fighters attack the enemy in an increased
      frequency. The resistance tries to avoid civilian causalities as much as
      possible.

      Maybe the Wahabbi forces like al-Qaeda are behind such attacks?

      No, this is ridiculous! The corporate media is trying to reduce the
      resistance to so-called Saddam-loyalists and al-Qaeda. We have already
      explained that most of the people join the resistance despite the fact that
      they did not agree to his rule. There might be some who are also personally
      loyal to Saddam. Concerning the Wahabbis you must know that the Iraqi people
      have been in opposition to them since 200 years. Sunni and Shia fought
      entire wars to defend Iraq against them. Why Iraqis should become Wahabbis
      now? There might be some foreign fighters here but there is no significant
      Iraqi supporters for al-Qaeda or similar Wahabbi groups. People want the
      foreign fighters to go back to their countries to fight the US puppet
      regimes there.

      Does the resistance already show effects on the morale of the soldiers?

      Indeed. More than 3.000 soldiers who deserted their duty have been
      registered. They sell their weapons and for about 400 USD they get Arabic
      clothes and are helped to escape to Turkey or Jordan. About 1.700 became
      crazy, many mutilated themselves to be returned and 56 suicides have been
      counted. The occupants really fear the resistance and their energy is bound
      in protecting themselves.

      Governing Council

      Can you exclude that the US imposed Governing Council might be able to
      stabilize the situation?

      This is definitely impossible. Day by day they are more isolated. Those
      directly participating in the Governing Council must be protected by the
      occupation forces as they are targets of the resistance. But also their
      parties and all collaborating with them are being expelled from the social
      tissue. To give you an example. In Falluja the resistance is putting up
      lists in the streets of collaborators who are to be outlawed. Many of them
      have received delegations of the resistance giving them a casket which they
      have to open in front of their families. Inside there are the traditional
      women clothes and a lipstick. In a society where virility is an important
      value to be designated as a women it the maximum humiliation. The lipstick
      means that he is a prostitute of the enemy. For such a Sheikh and his family
      it would be more honourable to be killed. Also after three generations his
      family will not get rid of that stigma. Another sign is that the armed
      militias in collaboration with the US who used to operate in the South and
      in the East cannot any more appear in public. Today one can hit a militiaman
      belonging to al-Hakim�s al-Badr or to al-Dawa with his show and he will not
      dare to react. Otherwise he risks to get killed. The Kurdish peshmergas of
      Talabani dare to appear in Arab areas only together with the Americans. To
      come alone, as they did it in the first months of the occupation, would be
      too dangerous for them. But also the collaborating Muslim Brotherhood and
      the connected parties are in great troubles. And the fact that some clerics,
      among them some high ranking ones, openly spoke against the occupation is a
      sign of the pressure from the people.

      But with the oil revenue they might be able to buy a significant section of
      a completely impoverished people?

      To do so you need a network, a social pyramid to distribute the wealth. But
      for the time being the Americans seem to simply steal our oil. That might be
      left goes right into the pocket of a tiny layer of collaborators. The
      incredible creed of both of them on the other hand helps the resistance as
      it radicalises the people.

      Are the Americans trying to re-instate the landlord Sheikhs in the South as
      the British once did?

      In the last decades Iraq has undergone irreversible changes. First of all it
      has become a highly urbanised country and the land reform broke the power of
      the landlord Sheikhs. But it is clear that the radical economic liberalism
      imposed by the occupants will have it effects. Without protection by the
      state the peasants will not be able to carry on, the spiral of dept and land
      concentration will get in motion. They will surely try to make us slaves
      again but I doubt that the Sheikhs are able to regain their old role and
      provide a significant pillar for a neo-colonial regime.

      The Kurdish question

      Are the Americans still welcome in Kurdistan?

      Unfortunately it is true that the collaborators with the strongest roots are
      the Kurdish leaders Barzani and Talabani. They used the situation to take
      control of Kirkuk, which is by majority a Turkmen town, and other places.
      Many Arabs have been expelled, their houses confiscated and resettled with
      Kurdish all under the excuse that the affected would be Saddam-loyalists.
      But also there the situation is changing. On one hand in the mountains of
      Kurdistan an extremist Islamist movement is growing, refusing any
      collaboration with the US. Today they still hold on to such ideas that TV
      sets are not allowed. But one can be sure that with the time, with their
      increasing popular support they will and must adopt more realistic views. On
      the other hand in the area of Kirkuk and Mosul where the population is
      completely mixed consisting of Arabs, Turkmen, Kurdish, Chaldeans and
      others, a moderate Islamic party is emerging comprising also Kurdish people.
      We hope that they will work with the political resistance front or even be
      part of it.

      Can you elaborate on the situation in Kirkuk?

      The population of Kirkuk will not accept the Kurdish rule over the town. It
      is consisting of many nationalities and they can only life together in
      equality in a free Iraq granting them their rights. It is for example not
      acceptable that most of the Arabic signs and inscriptions have been removed,
      also many of the Turkmen ones. The Americans have installed a completely
      disproportional system of �ethnic representation� as they call it consigning
      power de facto to the Kurdish factions. Kurdish, Arabs, Turkmen and
      Chaldeans have the same number of seats. But how can the Chaldeans with 2 or
      3% have the same weight as the Turkmens with more than 50%? Furthermore
      neither the Turkmen nor the Arabs accept their representatives. The recent
      demonstrations against American-Kurdish rule in Kirkuk are only the first
      sign.

      But isn�t there a reason for their pro-American stance?

      Nothing can justify such a collaboration and in the long run the Kurdish and
      the communists will heavily pay for it � even if it is wrong to condemn an
      entire people. But many Arabs think in this way when they are checked and
      searched by Kurdish soldier under US command. On the other hand it is true
      that also the Arab side committed mistakes in the past. We did not succeed
      in granting them de facto equal citizen rights allowing them to fully
      identify with Iraq and to consider themselves as loyal Iraqis of Kurdish
      nationality.

      The communist tragedy

      What you mean when you said the communists will pay for their collaboration?

      We have to bear in mind that the ICP was once by far the strongest party of
      Iraq and formed part of our best national tradition. In the first months of
      the occupation many people wanted to return to the party and had high hopes.
      They did not know which process of degeneration the ICP had undergone in so
      many years in exile. They claimed to be against the occupation. For most of
      their local supporters it was a shock to see them participating in the
      Governing Council. Nobody can deny that fact. Their office is within the
      green zone in Baghdad guarded by the Americans. Today they are nothing more
      than a tiny group of returned intellectuals who build what they call �civil
      society� for the occupants. In a certain sense they are even worse than the
      occupants. The Americans are foreigners, they understand nothing of our
      society. They are cheated even by those people they pay. But the communists
      have once been Iraqis, they know our people and are able to betray them.
      They led the hysteric campaign against all what they call Baathist which is
      actually directed against the entire resistance. In the same way they now
      try to uproot the resistance, they later will be uprooted by the victorious
      people. Nobody will cry if a collaborator will be killed even if he calls
      himself a communist.

      What are the reasons for that betrayal?

      The party was always depending on the USSR. They did not dare to take their
      own decisions. In the time of Quassem they would have been able to take
      power within two minutes. But Moscow said no so they kept quiet. When Saddam
      took power they fully co-operated with him against the left Baathists and
      the anti-imperialist communists which both where put to prison or killed.
      They accommodated to the life style of the ruling class going from one
      congress to the next and residing in five star hotels. It is not by accident
      that their straight collaboration dates as far back as in 1991 when they
      supported the aggression led by the US. As soon as the USSR collapsed they
      looked for the remaining power, the USA. They just exchanged the KGB by the
      CIA.

      But there are opposition currents inside the party.

      Yes, but they have the habit of waiting. Since 1991 we urge them to take
      action also against the party. However, they are running behind a miracle
      that they will be able to take over the party again. What other prove they
      need to see that the party has definitely passed over to imperialism? Can
      there be something worse that the support of two wars, the embargo and the
      occupation? I fear that they are going to wait forever.

      What about the ICP (Central Command)?

      They are the only ones who can save the big tradition of the Communist
      Party. Already in the 60s they opposed the line imposed by Moscow to form a
      Socialist Unity Party with the Nasserist president Arif according to the
      Egypt model. They took up arms in 1967 and the majority of the party
      membership followed them while the majority of the Central Committee later
      created the National Front together with Saddam. At that time we met in the
      prisons. Both of us the anti-imperialist communists and us left Baathists
      lost our struggle. But since then we appreciate each other and they have
      taken the same position in the main questions. They defended the homeland in
      1991 and 2003, they fought against the embargo and now they resist the US
      occupants. Although they have been very much weakened they will soon
      outnumber the official ICP. We hope that they will be able to gather the
      real communists.

      What you think of the Workers� Communist Party (WCP)?

      They are fully backed by the US and the Zionists. They are not a real Iraqi
      party. This strange sect is only comparable to the protestant missionaries
      following the US army. They completely violate our cultural heritage. They
      declared that English should become the official language of the country.
      They attack and want to destroy the history and culture of the people in a
      situation where Islam serves as identity to fight a foreign invader. Western
      people must understand one thing: If the Iraqi women turn back to wear en
      masse the veil, it is not for conservative or reactionary reason. Recently I
      met a female engineer with whom I used to study forty years ago and who
      never wore the Hijab but now did so. I asked her why and she simply replied
      as a sign of resistance. Furthermore the WCP seems to have plenty of money.
      They run a broadcasting service and in the South even a local TV station.
      Rumours say that they pay their group leaders and activists and provide them
      with prestigious accessories like satellite phones and cars. For them the
      resistance is the main enemy. Although communism is a part of our history �
      and not the worst one � they have been sent to destroy the remnants of this
      heritage at least that part which could not yet be destroyed by the ICP
      (Central Committee).

      Anti-globalisation movement

      What you think of the movement against the war?

      Which movement against the war? The war is over, now there is occupation and
      resistance. If they would be serious they did not hesitate to take side with
      the resistance. But we know that in Europe Zionism has become wide-spread
      not only within the governing powers but also within the left. For them
      Israel and America are sacrosanct. What we need today is a movement against
      the US, an Anti-American movement.

      But the European opposition against the war, which was due also to the
      public opinion against the war, is still a factor complicating the situation
      for the US, isn�t it?

      There is a big game going on behind our backs. Because of the aggressive
      posture of the US they are unable to convince some wavering forces of the
      resistance to join their puppet regime. Eventually they will need some
      European operation to cut a deal and to buy a fraction of the resistance. We
      have no doubt that the European powers will betray us. So we depend only on
      our own forces and refuse any negotiations. Concerning the movements I want
      to give just as an example of an Iraqi who spoke at the recent Cairo
      conference as well as on the ESF in Paris and the WSF in Mumbai. He claimed
      to oppose the occupation but we know that he was in Japan meeting the prime
      minister and welcoming the Japanese soldiers who are hardly camouflaged as
      humanitarian aides. Such a ridiculousness. The organisers must have been
      well aware of his ambiguous role. And furthermore why did the street
      mobilisation stop exactly when the war started? Their task would be to fight
      their governments and finally to topple them and not to accept their
      subordination to the US war drive.

      Nevertheless you spoke of an international front you want to found?

      Yes, we know that your struggle is an international one regarding the fate
      of entire humanity. We call upon all forces in the world to join hands in a
      common front to liberate Iraq and Palestine and to destroy the American
      Empire. We will be ready to work with everybody who supports the liberation
      struggle against imperialism and Zionism. When the resistance will have been
      stabilized, we will sponsor an international conference to build such an
      Anti-Zionist, Anti-American and anti-imperialist front.

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      --0-1160474617-1075852688=:34344--

      --
      "We are 50 or 100 years behind the most advanced countries. We must make good
      that distance in ten years. Either we do it or we go under."

      --Josef Stalin, August 1931