Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Iraqi Resistance Report: 15-17 January 2004.

Expand Messages
  • thekoba@aztecfreenet.org
    ================= Begin forwarded message ================= Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 15 January 2004 through Saturday, 17 January 2004.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17 4:46 PM
      ================= Begin forwarded message =================

      Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 15 January 2004
      through Saturday, 17 January 2004. Translated and/or
      compiled by Muhammad Abu Nasr, member, editorial
      board, the Free Arab Voice.

      Thursday, 15 January 2004.

      The Anglo-American occupation of Iraq was not able to
      hide the major attacks launched on Thursday by the
      Iraqi Resistance against them, but they were able, as
      usual, due to their control of the main sources of
      information on the ground to hide the results of those
      operations in an effort to make light of them,
      pretending that they were failed or fruitless attacks.

      On Thursday, Iraqi Resistance fighters directly
      attacked a base of the American military occupation in
      Kirkuk with Katyusha rockets. Two Katyushas landed
      with thunderous explosions inside the base, in an
      assault that was heard over a large area. Afterward,
      occupation forces raced about going on an elevated
      state of alert, deploying tanks and military vehicles
      around all major buildings in the area. The extent of
      material and human losses caused by the rocket attack,
      however, was not disclosed. Turhan Yusuf, puppet
      police commander in Kirkuk, said that on Thursday
      morning two Katyusha rockets struck the main
      headquarters of the American occupation forces in the
      city. At precisely 6:10am local time, the two
      Katyushas hit Kirkuk airport, 5km west of the city
      itself. The US occupation forces have turned the
      occupied airport into their local headquarters.

      Yusuf said that he had no information as to whether
      the rockets had caused any damage or casualties among
      the American invaders. The Agence France Presse (AFP)
      on the scene said that tighter security was imposed in
      the city after the attack and that sirens wailed in
      the early morning hours.

      In the southern Iraqi city of Karbala', the Iraqi
      Resistance attacked a security center with
      rocket-propelled grenades (RPGs) causing direct damage
      during the night of Wednesday to Thursday. Yet a
      spokesman for the Iraqi puppet police that was hired
      by the American occupation forces denied that there
      were any casualties. Rahman Mashawi, the press
      officer for the puppet regime in the province of
      Karbala', spoke to the AFP and said that two RPGs
      struck the police station of Nahiyat al-Harr, 5km
      north of Karbala' at about 10:00pm local time on
      Wednesday, but denied that there were any casualties.
      He said that the first rocket hit the outer wall
      surrounding the building and the second fell in the
      garden of a residence next to the station but that
      neither caused any human losses. Mashawi said that
      puppet police patrols tried in vain to arrest the
      Resistance fighters who attacked them, but the
      fighters eluded their grasp, having left behind a car
      which the puppet police confiscated.

      Thursday, a plane carrying Georgian Defense Minister
      David Tevzadze came under fire as it took off from
      Baghdad's occupied airport to return to Georgia. No
      one was reported injured.

      Tevzadze spent two days in Iraq with the former Soviet
      republic's 70-member peacekeeping contingent that is
      serving the United States as cannon fodder. The new
      government that recently forced its way to power �
      with US backing � in the Caucasian republic of Georgia
      is more subservient to Washington even than was the
      previous regime of Eduard Shevardnadze.

      The head of the Georgian National Guard, Koba
      Kobaladze, who was aboard the target aircraft, said
      that American occupation helicopters returned fire at
      the sources of the rockets. He said that Tevzadze was
      sleeping at the time of the attack and was unaware
      that anything had happened.

      US occupation forces committed more war crimes on
      Thursday, killing eight Iraqis in the area of Tikrit
      and Baaqubah. A military occupation spokesman said
      that the invader forces were responding to attacks
      against them and in the process killed eight attackers
      in various locations.

      In Tikrit the occupation army announced on Thursday
      that they had killed seven Iraqis in three separate
      incidents in the area. Sergeant Robert Cargie said in
      Tikrit that six of those Iraqis were killed near the
      city of Baaqubah, 60km north of Baghdad. A seventh
      died south of Tikrit. Cargie said that American
      soldiers of the 3rd Battalion of the 67th Armored
      Brigade on Wednesday were attacked by the Iraqi
      Resistance in Abu Khurma, 15km east of Baaqubah. He
      said that the US aggressor forces killed four of the
      Resistance fighters and wounded a fifth. Cargie said
      further that the battle occurred as the US invaders
      were pursuing members of Saddam's Fedayeen. He
      claimed that the occupation forces captured 31
      individuals among them eight who were being
      investigated. He said that the aggressors confiscated
      19 AK-47 Kalashnikov Assault Rifles and other
      automatic weapons as well as ammunition and three hand
      made bombs.

      Cargie said that a patrol mounted by the American 1st
      Battalion of the 67th Armored Brigade killed two
      Iraqis in a separate operation in al-Khalis. He
      claimed that the two Iraqis had tried to flee from the
      aggressors. Two other men who had been with the
      deceased managed to elude the invaders' bullets and
      escaped. Cargie said: "It is unclear whether they
      were trying to plant an explosive device or not."

      Cargie said that on Wednesday an American occupation
      patrol was attacked south of Jalula', near Tikrit. He
      said that one of the Resistance fighters attacking the
      invaders was killed and another injured. Another
      Resistance fighter escaped, but was found later,
      wounded, in his vehicle, according to Cargie.

      The American occupation claimed that three civilians
      were killed and two others wounded on Thursday when a
      bus on which they were riding struck a land mine near
      Tikrit. Sergeant Steve Russell of the 1-22 Brigade, a
      part of the 4th Infantry Division, said that the bus
      probably drove over a mine.

      In an-Nasiriyah there were demonstrations by Iraqi
      soldiers demanding their pay and demanding to be
      allowed to work and begin to live their lives after
      the disbanding, shortly after the US invasion, of the
      Army of the Republic of Iraq. Some 300 unemployed
      people, most of them former soldiers, rallied
      peacefully to call for jobs outside the headquarters
      of the occupation forces in the city. Sattar Kazem, a
      former soldier in the Iraqi Army said, "I haven't
      received any pay for four months." Unemployment in
      the city hypertrophied after the American aggressor
      forces announced the dissolution of the Iraqi Army in
      May 2003. There have been repeated promises that pay
      for the veterans would be provided. Kazem said that
      the monthly pay, which he is supposed to receive, is
      75,000 occupation Dinars or US$75. He said "that's
      not enough to feed my family of seven."

      'Aziz 'Abed ash-Shahid said, "I'm disabled and I've
      tried to get work everywhere or to get assistance but
      nobody cares about my case."

      'Adel Turki said, "I went to the [puppet] oil
      protection services to look for work, but they asked
      for a bribe of 200,000 occupation Dinars (US$200)."

      A representative of the demonstrators read a
      declaration in which he demanded that government
      employees be allowed back to their jobs, that promised
      stipends be paid to veterans, and that jobs be
      provided for all Iraqis.

      In recent days similar demonstrations of the
      unemployed in the other southern Iraqi cities of
      al-'Amarah and al-Kut have ended in violent clashes
      and the deaths of several demonstrators from
      occupation troop and puppet police gunfire.

      In the south of occupied Iraq, tens of thousands of
      Shiite Iraqis came out in large demonstrations in
      al-Basrah in support of demands of AyatAllah 'Ali
      as-Sistani for the holding of elections before a
      planned transfer of power, and for the appointment of
      a temporary electoral committee. The demonstrators
      chanted their support for the Shiite "Hawzah" or
      committee of Shiite clerics and for its chief cleric
      as-Sistani, and carried signs in English saying "We
      want a constitution."

      Among the political parties that took part in the
      Shiite clerical demonstrations were the
      collaborationist so-called Supreme Council for the
      Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI) and the Da'wah
      Party, whose representatives sit on the puppet
      so-called Interim Governing Council run by American
      proconsul L. Paul Bremer. Although as-Sistani does
      not participate in the so-called governing council, he
      does not oppose the American presence in the country,
      but has begun recently to call for a transfer of power
      to Iraqis. As-Sistani has rejected all claims that
      holding elections under the present situation in
      occupied Iraq would be impossible, insisting instead
      on the election rather than appointment of members of
      the Transition Group provided for in official US
      documents regarding the "transition of power" planned
      by Washington for May 2004.

      No secular parties took part in the marches.

      Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
      Jordan, Friday, 16 January 2004.

      Friday, 16 January 2004.

      A US aggressor soldier died from what US occupation
      sources said was a non-hostile gunshot wound south of
      Baghdad on Friday evening near ad-Diwaniyah south of
      Baghdad, the military occupation command said in a
      statement made on Saturday. No further details were

      The Iraqi Resistance carried out an attack in the
      northern city of Mosul on Friday seriously injuring
      two puppet policemen, according to an officer in the
      local puppet police, 'Abd al-Ghani al-Mulla Ghannun.
      The two puppet policemen were in a vehicle in front of
      the residence of the police commander in one of the
      neighborhoods of Mosul, 370km north of Baghdad.
      Ghannun said that Resistance fighters in a white car
      with no license plates drove past the puppet police
      car and opened fire on them with AK-47 Kalashnikov
      Assault Rifles, and then escaped. Dr. Ghassan Hamed
      'Abdallah of Mosul Hospital said that the two men were
      in serious condition.

      The commander of the puppet police in Kirkuk reported
      that a road block manned by the puppet police near the
      city came under an armed Resistance attack in which
      one of the attackers was seriously wounded, he said.

      The Iraqi puppet police and hospital sources report
      that a 15-year old youth was killed and five other
      persons wounded when a bomb exploded in a neighborhood
      in the center of Baghdad as US occupation soldiers and
      puppet police were trying to disarm it.

      The Iraqi puppet police reported that one Iraqi had
      been killed and two others wounded when a land mine
      belonging to the "former" Iraqi Army exploded.

      Two bombs found in the puppet so-called "Defense
      Ministry" were also being defused by US occupation
      troops Friday, Lieutenant Robert Cornetius said.
      Patients were evacuated from part of a hospital facing
      the ministry, said the hospital's deputy manager,
      'Imad Tareq.

      Hundreds of Iraqis marched on Friday to protest the
      American occupation's arrest of Khamis Sirhan Muhammad
      a member of the Regional Leadership of the Arab Baath
      Socialist Party whom the Americans listed as number 54
      of their list of "most wanted" persons in occupied
      Iraq. Demonstrators carried signs and Iraqi flags as
      well as pictures of Khamis Sirhan. One sign read "All
      the tribes of al-Fallujah demand that the invaders
      release Mr. Khamis Sirhan!" Another read: "The masses
      of al-Fallujah demand that the occupiers release
      Khamis Sirhan!"

      Muhammad Kamel, a nephew of Khamis Sirhan Muhammad
      said, "my uncle is innocent and did not commit any
      crime against the people of Iraq. He's one of the
      beloved and respected local people of al-Fallujah. He
      enjoys everybody's respect and he behaves according to
      tribal traditions, not political ones."

      Officials in Iraq's puppet police force said that they
      have taken intensified security measures around two
      mosques in the city of Baaqubah in anticipation of
      possible attacks. Haydar 'Abbas, a puppet police
      officer, explained that they had received information
      that an explosives-laden truck driven by someone in a
      police uniform had entered the city and was expected
      to strike a target before or after Friday
      congregational prayers.

      Meanwhile the Shiite cleric Ayat Allah 'Ali
      as-Sistani, who still does not advocate resistance to
      the invaders and occupiers of his country, threatened
      to issue a legal opinion (fatwa) calling for
      "opposition" to the American occupation if his demand
      for an election under the conditions of occupation are
      not met. The threat came as American Proconsul Paul
      Bremer was in Washington consulting with his bosses on
      how to handle the public relations show that they call
      a "transition of power" set for May this year when the
      puppet so-called Interim governing council is to be
      replaced by another puppet body while the military
      occupation remains in place as it has been. American
      occupation forces are fearful of the outcome of any
      kind of election, even one under conditions of
      occupation where the largest political party in the
      country has been made illegal and where enemies of the
      occupation are arrested and sent to concentration
      prison camps. American suggestions have provided for
      a transitional body to be selected by regional
      caucuses, but as-Sistani and a group of Shiite clerics
      close to members of the collaborationist so-called
      Interim Governing Council are demanding elections to
      chose the new puppet authority.

      An aide to as-Sistani, Ayat Allah Muhammad Baqer
      al-Mihri, on Friday conveyed as-Sistani's threat and
      explained that if as-Sistani issues the legal opinion
      (fatwa) for Shiites to oppose the occupation, the
      Shiite population of Iraq "will come out in protest
      marches and demonstrations against the occupation
      forces." Al-Mihri urged Proconsul Bremer to take
      as-Sistani's threat seriously if he wants to avoid
      "problems." Al-Mihri said that it was the Shiite
      clergy who had prevented a "confrontation" between
      Iraq's Shiites and the occupation forces.

      The Associated Press reported on Friday that despite a
      Pentagon investigation into alleged overcharging for
      fuel delivered to Iraq, the US army had nevertheless
      awarded US Vice President Dick Cheney's "former"
      company Halliburton a contract to rebuild Iraq's oil
      industry, an industry devastated by the 30-nation
      aggression of 1990-1991 when Cheney was US imperialist
      Secretary of Defense, and by the 13-year embargo on
      Iraq imposed when Cheney was Secretary of Defense, and
      by the invasion of Iraq in 2003 when Cheney was Vice
      President. According to the AP, the investigation
      into overcharging will concern government officials,
      not Halliburton executives.

      According to a statement issued by the US Army Corps
      of Engineers, Halliburton won a competitive bid to
      rebuild the oil industry in southern Iraq, a contract
      worth up to US$1.2 billion over two years. The US
      Army gave Halliburton's subsidiary Kellog, Brown &
      Root (KBR) a no-bid contract to rebuild the oil
      infrastructure in Iraq shortly after the US occupation
      of the country last March. Then, after controversy
      among moneyed interests, the US army opened that
      contract for competitive bids last fall and split it
      into one for northern Iraq and one for southern Iraq,
      perhaps in keeping with plans by some Washington
      strategists eventually to split Iraq into separate
      statelets. However that may be, the northern Iraq
      contract, worth up to US$800 million went to a joint
      venture of California-based Parsons Corporation and
      the Australian company Worley Group Ltd.

      The commander of US occupation forces in Iraq has
      ordered a criminal investigation into reports of abuse
      of prisoners at an occupation detention center. A
      military statement Friday gave no indication about the
      scope of the alleged abuse, saying simply that
      Lieutenant General Ricardo Sanchez ordered a probe
      "into reported incidents of detainee abuse at a
      'coalition forces' detention facility." The statement
      did not specify the facility.
      The release of specific information concerning the
      incidents could hinder the investigation, which is in
      its early stages," the statement said, thereby further
      hiding the beatings and torture reportedly used by the
      aggressor forces against captives held in the
      occupation's many concentration camps.

      In Washington, Lawrence Di Rita, spokesman for Defense
      Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld, said it is a criminal
      investigation and that the reports of abuse were
      deemed "very serious and credible." Di Rita declined
      to provide details other than to say the alleged abuse
      happened at detention centers in Baghdad. The
      Associated Press observed that "the announcement
      followed allegations by Amnesty International and
      former prisoners of harsh treatment of detainees"
      captured by US occupation forces after their
      occupation of the country began last March.

      Some 60 Iraqi prisoners were set free by the
      occupation on 8 January. That release was supposed to
      be the first batch of a whole series of prisoner
      releases, but so far there have been no further
      reports of other groups of captives being set free.
      Many of those who came out of the Abu Ghurayb prison
      on that day complained of torture and extensive
      imprisonment of individuals for no apparent reason.
      They also reported that prisoners were shot in the
      course of an uprising during the summer. See the
      Iraqi Resistance Report for Thursday, 8 January 2004.

      According to the AP, the occupation is believed to be
      holding about 12,800 prisoners in its various
      concentration camps. Earlier this month, three US
      occupation army reservists were discharged for abuse
      of prisoners at the so-called Camp Bucca detention
      center in southern Iraq.

      Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
      Jordan, Saturday, 17 January 2004.

      Saturday, 17 January 2004.

      The Iraqi Resistance inflicted direct casualties on
      the American occupation forces on Saturday in northern
      Iraq. In addition, a number of positions of the
      puppet police that collaborates with the occupation
      were hit.

      A roadside bomb in the agricultural community of
      al-Mushahadah, 30km from Baghdad, three American
      occupation soldiers and two Iraqi puppet so-called
      civil defense force members were killed in a roadside
      bomb blast. Those killed and wounded had been part of
      US occupation patrol looking for roadside bombs on
      which the American aggressors brought along puppet
      forces to serve them. MacDonald claimed that three
      men who were leaving the scene of the attack in a
      white truck were detained, and aggressor soldiers
      claimed they found bomb-making material in the
      vehicle, he added.

      Two American invaders also were wounded when a Bradley
      Fighting Vehicle hit the explosive device and caught
      fire on a road near Taji, about 20 miles north of the
      Iraq capital, said Lieutenant Colonel Bill MacDonald,
      a spokesman for the 4th Infantry Division. MacDonald
      said the remote-controlled bomb, planted on an access
      road, was made up of two 155 mm artillery rounds and
      other explosives. 'Abed 'Ali, who lives nearby, told
      AP that he rushed to the scene after hearing the loud
      explosion and saw the Bradley burning. The explosion
      left a large crater. Young Iraqi men could be seen
      picking through the wreckage of the destroyed vehicle.

      Local people delighted in the attack rushing in to
      brandish parts of the destroyed Bradley vehicle in
      celebration of the Resistance victory, as they chanted
      slogans in favor of the Resistance and against the

      Iraqi Resistance fighters attacked the General
      Headquarters of the occupation forces that covers the
      five provinces supervised by the so-called
      multinational forces under Polish command. Occupation
      sources would not disclose information about possible
      losses in the attack which took place in the town of
      al-Hillah. They did announce, however that one Iraqi
      had been killed and others injured in the Resistance

      In al-Huwayjah, the comander of the puppet so-called
      civil defense force that collaborates with the
      occupation said that four of its members were wounded
      in a Resistance attack, two of them seriously. Major
      General Anwar Muhammad Amin commander of the puppet
      so-called civil defense forces in Kirkuk said that the
      four Iraqis were guarding a checkpoint at the entrance
      to al-Huwayjah when explosives were thrown at them.

      A spokesman for the occupation forces announced that
      two Iraqis were killed and six others captured in an
      attack that targeted an border outpost in the province
      of al-Anbar. No aggressor losses were reported for
      the attack.

      In Karbala' a spokesman for the puppet police said
      that the body of a puppet policeman who had been
      abducted nine days ago had been found. 'Ali Isma'il
      Habib left his home heading for work nine days ago, an
      occupation spokesman said, indicating that he was
      abducted and killed yesterday. His body was then
      thrown into the street, the spokesman said.

      US occupation forces found and disarmed a bomb that
      had been put together out of four surface-to-air
      missile warheads (SAM-3s) which were connected to 20kg
      of explosives. The bomb had been planted near

      The Iraqi puppet police announced that the occupation
      forces in Baaqubah had said that they had arrested
      three persons who, they said, had been smuggling and
      cooperating with the Resistance. The sources said
      that the puppet police and puppet civil defense forces
      had strengthened their presence in checkpoints on the
      60-kilometer long highway be Baghdad and Baaqubah
      where many Resistance attacks take place.

      In Washington sources have been saying that US
      President George Bush might alter the occupation plan
      for the sham "transfer of power" scheduled for later
      this year in light of criticism by Shiite clerical
      leaders who have been cooperating with the occupation.

      In Paris it was announced that France, which has not
      strongly supported the American aggression against
      Iraq, said it wants to help to train Iraq's next
      generation of puppet police officers - once power is
      transferred to a sovereign Iraqi government. But
      Foreign Minister Dominique de Villepin said Friday
      that the question of sending in French troops is "not
      a current topic." American occupation talk about a
      "transfer of power to Iraqis" has all been very clear
      about the fact that the so-called transfer of power
      would not affect the American occupation of the
      country which is slated to continue into the
      indefinite future. "Transfer of power" is therefore
      clearly a convenient cover whereby western imperialist
      states can save face as they swing behind the US
      occupation of Iraq and give it a more "international"
      veneer, relieving pressure on the United States and
      seeking to benefit from the colonial plunder of the
      Iraqi people.

      Sources: al-Arab al-Yawm daily newspaper, Amman,
      Jordan, Sunday, 18 January 2004.

      Do you Yahoo!?
      Yahoo! Hotjobs: Enter the "Signing Bonus" Sweepstakes

      "The social emancipation of the Jew is the emancipation of society from
      --Karl Marx
      "On the Jewish Question", 1843
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.