the Hadith

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2004

      >>I'll run this by Eric, but I suspect this is per
      >>the Hadith rather than the Quran.
      >
      >just what the hell is "the Hadith"?
      >
      >sorry im not as up on my muslim mytholgy
      >as i am on my christian mythology.
      >
      >mike

      The Hadith is a collection of oral traditions about
      things Muhammed allegedly said and did that were not
      written down until substantially after the fact and
      are not included in the Qu'ran. Christianity doesn't
      really have anything similar on that scale, though there
      were some gospels that were not included in the Bible
      by the Council of Nicea (like the Gospel of St. Thomas),
      and there was the legend of St. Christopher, that isn't
      included anywhere in the Bible, who supposedly helped
      Jesus and his family ford a river while they were fleeing
      from King Herod.

      It's also possible that this wife-beating advice isn't
      in there either but is simply based on what Medieval
      scholars concluded from reading and interpreting the
      Qu'ran and the Hadith. That would be rather like
      the theology of St. Augustine or St. Thomas Aquinas:
      not Biblical in itself but based on reasoning and
      interpretation of the Bible.

      "The social emancipation of the Jew is the emancipation of society from
      Judaism."
      --Karl Marx
      "On the Jewish Question", 1843