Re: conductor chided for performing Wagner in "Israel"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18 7:45 PM
      >The Nazis banned or anyway didn't play any Jewish
      >composers like Mendelssohn or Offenbach (I think) and
      >of course criticized Jazz as being "Jewish and Negro"
      >but then, rather hypocritically, the Nazis put
      >together a jazz band to play for foreign consumption
      >at the behest of Goebbels.

      Dear Eric,

      Was that the same band that did parodies of existing
      American jazz songs for propaganda broadcasts, or
      am I thinking of something else?

      >I don't know if the Nazis banned Russian or other
      >music, though I have read that Nazi soldiers trashed
      >the house museum of Pyotr Il'yich Chaikovsky (usually
      >spelled Tchaikovsky as if we were French) in the town
      >of Klin, west of Moscow.
      >
      >In general, Hitler seems to have had no respect for
      >Russian culture whatsoever inspite of the fact that,
      >in my opinion at least, Russia's musical heritage and
      >that of Germany's are the absolute greatest in Europe
      >(and personally I prefer the Russian, but that's a
      >matter of taste.)
      >
      >Back in the 1950s all Chinese musicians seem to have
      >studied in the Soviet Union, where they learned
      >orchestration with the absolute best teachers in the
      >world. As a result, the old Chinese marching and
      >patriotic music of the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s
      >shows strong Russian influence, even though it is
      >mainly Chinese sounding, but in the orchestration and
      >arrangement it is strongly Russian influenced.

      Yes, I definitely noticed that on the tape of Chinese
      military music you sent me a couple years ago (I
      still get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to it;
      many thanks!)

      >More recently, unfortunately, the Chinese have sent
      >students to the west (or maybe the Russians have
      >changed) and the result is that Chinese music is
      >coming more under the influence of cheap and
      >degenerate trends like rock and roll and therefore is
      >much less stirring.

      I haven't heard any Chinese rock and roll yet, though
      what I have heard of modern Chinese music sounds
      rather like some of our easy-listening pop.

      >Russians influenced other musical schools as well.
      >The famous Italian composer Respighi who wrote the
      >Pines of Rome and Appian Way that are well known
      >orchestral pieces studied in Russia before the
      >revolution. So although he wrote Italian national
      >music while living in Fascist Italy in the 1920s, his
      >powerful orchestral style too shows strong Russian
      >influence, ironically.
      >
      >But it must also be said that in their day the
      >Russians were influenced by German music too. Richard
      >Wagner's operas based on Teutonic mythology were
      >really very innovative in their time - both musically
      >and also conceptually - and sparked a wave of
      >orchestral and operatic works by Russian and Czech
      >composers in the late 19th century as they drew on
      >folktales and myths of the Slavic peoples and on folk
      >themes to produce stirring works like Mlada, Boris
      >Godunov, Prince Igor', P. I. Chaikovsky's and Antonin
      >Dvorak's superb symphonies and many, many more.
      >
      >Apparently the outstanding musical heritage in Russia
      >is now being washed away by American-style cheap pop
      >and rock junk that money-grubbing companies in Russia
      >are pushing all over the place. But maybe Yura could
      >fill us in on this.

      I recently read an account by a Russian on the internet
      that hip-hop music and clothing are becoming popular
      in Russia but that the skinheads regularly attack
      those indulging in it.

      >I would hope that the Russian people can withstand
      >this poisoned wind of globalism, but it seems to be a
      >very difficult battle. Even in the Soviet period
      >there was a marked deterioration, I believe, after
      >20th Century greats like Sergei Prokof'yev, Dmitry
      >Shostakovich, and Aram Khachaturiyan died and left the
      >stage to people who increasingly turned out, well
      >"modern stuff" which was often atonal and abstract and
      >- to me - unattractive, while the variety stage surged
      >forward as classical music retreated into atonal,
      >technical nonsense that the people could not relate to
      >at all.
      >
      >Sorry, but I have a rather Stalinist musical taste.

      Nothing wrong with that, NOTHING AT ALL!