Re: conductor chided for performing Wagner in "Israel"

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 17 6:08 PM

      >Dear Kevin,
      >
      >I don't have the exact reference now but many years
      >ago I read a book, I think by lwft-wing writer Edgar
      >Snow, from the World War II years about the Soviet
      >Union and its battle against the fascist hordes.
      >
      >At one point I was struck by the author referring to
      >concerts by the Moscow Symphony, because he casually
      >mentioned that some works of Richard Wagner were among
      >the things performed. This, mind you, was in the
      >Soviet Union while the Nazis were occupying part of
      >that country and killing millions of Soviet citizens.
      >
      >Soviet musicians and the Soviet cultural establishment
      >were not so chauvinist as to prohibit music by German,
      >in fact German nationalist, composers even at the
      >height of the Nazi invasion.
      >
      >The Jews in occupied Palestine clearly are products of
      >a totally different, totally chauvinist mindset.

      Dear Eric,

      Fascinating! Do you know if Hitler ever banned
      Tchiakowsky or other non-Jewish Russian composers?

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18 7:45 PM
        >The Nazis banned or anyway didn't play any Jewish
        >composers like Mendelssohn or Offenbach (I think) and
        >of course criticized Jazz as being "Jewish and Negro"
        >but then, rather hypocritically, the Nazis put
        >together a jazz band to play for foreign consumption
        >at the behest of Goebbels.

        Dear Eric,

        Was that the same band that did parodies of existing
        American jazz songs for propaganda broadcasts, or
        am I thinking of something else?

        >I don't know if the Nazis banned Russian or other
        >music, though I have read that Nazi soldiers trashed
        >the house museum of Pyotr Il'yich Chaikovsky (usually
        >spelled Tchaikovsky as if we were French) in the town
        >of Klin, west of Moscow.
        >
        >In general, Hitler seems to have had no respect for
        >Russian culture whatsoever inspite of the fact that,
        >in my opinion at least, Russia's musical heritage and
        >that of Germany's are the absolute greatest in Europe
        >(and personally I prefer the Russian, but that's a
        >matter of taste.)
        >
        >Back in the 1950s all Chinese musicians seem to have
        >studied in the Soviet Union, where they learned
        >orchestration with the absolute best teachers in the
        >world. As a result, the old Chinese marching and
        >patriotic music of the 1950s, 1960s and early 1970s
        >shows strong Russian influence, even though it is
        >mainly Chinese sounding, but in the orchestration and
        >arrangement it is strongly Russian influenced.

        Yes, I definitely noticed that on the tape of Chinese
        military music you sent me a couple years ago (I
        still get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to it;
        many thanks!)

        >More recently, unfortunately, the Chinese have sent
        >students to the west (or maybe the Russians have
        >changed) and the result is that Chinese music is
        >coming more under the influence of cheap and
        >degenerate trends like rock and roll and therefore is
        >much less stirring.

        I haven't heard any Chinese rock and roll yet, though
        what I have heard of modern Chinese music sounds
        rather like some of our easy-listening pop.

        >Russians influenced other musical schools as well.
        >The famous Italian composer Respighi who wrote the
        >Pines of Rome and Appian Way that are well known
        >orchestral pieces studied in Russia before the
        >revolution. So although he wrote Italian national
        >music while living in Fascist Italy in the 1920s, his
        >powerful orchestral style too shows strong Russian
        >influence, ironically.
        >
        >But it must also be said that in their day the
        >Russians were influenced by German music too. Richard
        >Wagner's operas based on Teutonic mythology were
        >really very innovative in their time - both musically
        >and also conceptually - and sparked a wave of
        >orchestral and operatic works by Russian and Czech
        >composers in the late 19th century as they drew on
        >folktales and myths of the Slavic peoples and on folk
        >themes to produce stirring works like Mlada, Boris
        >Godunov, Prince Igor', P. I. Chaikovsky's and Antonin
        >Dvorak's superb symphonies and many, many more.
        >
        >Apparently the outstanding musical heritage in Russia
        >is now being washed away by American-style cheap pop
        >and rock junk that money-grubbing companies in Russia
        >are pushing all over the place. But maybe Yura could
        >fill us in on this.

        I recently read an account by a Russian on the internet
        that hip-hop music and clothing are becoming popular
        in Russia but that the skinheads regularly attack
        those indulging in it.

        >I would hope that the Russian people can withstand
        >this poisoned wind of globalism, but it seems to be a
        >very difficult battle. Even in the Soviet period
        >there was a marked deterioration, I believe, after
        >20th Century greats like Sergei Prokof'yev, Dmitry
        >Shostakovich, and Aram Khachaturiyan died and left the
        >stage to people who increasingly turned out, well
        >"modern stuff" which was often atonal and abstract and
        >- to me - unattractive, while the variety stage surged
        >forward as classical music retreated into atonal,
        >technical nonsense that the people could not relate to
        >at all.
        >
        >Sorry, but I have a rather Stalinist musical taste.

        Nothing wrong with that, NOTHING AT ALL!