Re: [azsecularhumanists] making heros out of losers?? u.s. propaganda

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2003
      >i always thought heros were people who
      >did great things for their causes.
      >
      >while the media and goverment is treating
      >lori piestewa and jessica lynch as great
      >american warrior heros it seems to be 100
      >percent BS on the hero part.
      >
      >lori piestewa was a cook, jessica lynch
      >was a file clerk who handed out pencils
      >and tolit paper. neither had the job
      >as a trained military killer. nor did
      >either fight against the iraqis
      >
      >they both failed their mission. their
      >convoy got lost in the desert and
      >ambushed. do we make heros out of
      >dummys that get lost?
      >
      >neigher fought the iraqis when they
      >were ambushed. both of their machine
      >guns jammed. probably because they
      >didnt clean them enought. are dummys
      >who dont clean their weapons heros?
      >

      >jessica lynch said she curled in a ball
      >and hid in her military vehicle.
      >during the ambush. are these people
      >heros for not fighting?
      >
      >lori piestewa was shot and killed while
      >driving their military vehicle.
      >jessica lynch passed out from her injuries
      >and was captured with out a fight. heros
      >for the american empire? certainly not
      >in my eyes.
      >
      >mike

      John McCain, if I recall correctly, became
      a "hero" simply for having been shot down
      while dropping napalm on Vietnamese children
      or some such heroics. Part of the problem
      is that the long-distance push-button war
      the American imperialists practice just
      doesn't seem all that heroic to most people.
      It would be a bit hollow for the media to
      tout someone on a ship at sea who said, "I
      pushed a button from hundreds of kilometres
      away and sent a missile into Baghdad that
      helped win the war."

      Winston Churchill observed the technological
      progress in warfare in his own era and
      lamented the loss of personal heroics.
      He opined, "War was once cruel and glorious,
      and now it is cruel and squalid. That is
      the fault of democracy and science."

      Even where the warfare does get up close
      and personal, as it is largely a counter-
      insurgency, it involves taking actions that
      would leave a bad taste in the mouths of the
      American public, like burning down homes
      and cutting down orchards in areas suspected
      of supporting guerrilla activity, or opening
      fire into crowds of demonstrators. Such
      soldiers probably wouldn't sell well as
      heroes, even if the public believed their
      actions to be justified.

      Strangely enough, as Mike pointed out, now
      the badge of honour is to have been a prisoner
      of war and allegedly mistreated, as with John
      McCain in Vietnam and Jessica Lynch in Gulf
      War II. Traditionally being captured alive was
      considered the ultimate shame. The Spartans
      would admonish their warriors, "Return either
      with your shields or on them." During the
      Second World War, the Soviets made it a crime
      for a Red Army soldier to surrender, and many
      were imprisoned after they were liberated from
      the German camps.

      Now such people are touted as heroes, simply
      because they suffered for being on the side of
      the American government (though I think in both
      cases they were treated far better than they
      deserved by their captors). As heroics go,
      that's scraping the bottom of the barrel, but it
      looks like that's the best the imperialists can
      do to make their despicable mercenaries look
      heroic.

      Piestewa (and to some extent Lynch) is a hero for
      the sake of political correctness, simply because
      she's supposedly the first American Indian woman
      killed in combat (and in Lynch's case, just because
      she was a woman soldier who was captured). As a
      matter of fact Piestewa was not the first American
      Indian woman killed in combat. There were thousands
      of them in the 19th Century, but they were on the
      other side, and most of the time the combat was
      pretty one-sided. Piestewa must surely have known
      that history and that she was part of doing that to
      others. They have renamed Squaw Peak in Phoenix
      Piestewa Peak. Ordinarilly I don't care for the
      epithet "squaw", but that's good enough for her.
      I sincerely hope she does not represent the sentiments
      of most American Indians. If she does, they will find
      that supporting the Jew government will get them the
      same fate as the Jews and that the 21st Century will
      be harder on them than the 19th was.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2003

> [...]
        >there were television pictures of other US captives,
        >including a large Black woman from Texas, none of whom
        >we have heard much about. And at they time they were
        >in the news but fleetingly.
        >
        >So even then, I felt that they were doing something
        >with Jessica Lynch, preparing her specially for
        >something.
        >
        >I suspect that part of it was just that she looked
        >reasonably pretty and they thought "Aha! We have our
        >poster girl!" - a role that the large Black woman
        >soldier was ill fitted for (sorry for the pun).
        >
        >And it occurs to me that in this kind of war, where
        >the US portrays itself as a fighter for altruistic
        >causes like "democracy" and the "liberation" of the
        >Arabs, etc., that the best kind of poster "hero" is
        >not a Sergeant York who kills and captures lots of
        >"the enemy", but a pretty little "defenseless girl"
        >whom Americans, particularly males, will sympathise
        >with and want to "protect."
        >
        >In other words, most Americans are luke warm about
        >this war. Let's not kid ourselves. The American
        >"masses" are not against the war, even though it is
        >decidedly against their interests. But the "masses"
        >are not for the war either. The "masses" basically
        >could care less about it as long as it doesn't affect
        >them personally.
        >
        >The monopoly imperialist media bend over backwards not
        >to link lay-offs, budget cuts, unemployment, and the
        >rise in crap jobs with no benefits, to the imperial
        >drive for world conquest - just so people getting laid
        >off or evicted from their homes don't blame
        >imperialism for their problems.
        >
        >But since people don't care about the war, and since
        >there's a risk that morale will sag if domestic
        >problems grow (as they likely will), what US imperial
        >propaganda needs is some sort of sympathetic image,
        >even an "underdog" with which people can identify and
        >sympathise.
        >
        >Pretty little Jessica Lynch curled up on the floor of
        >her APC as bullets whizz overhead is a classic "damsel
        >in distress". She's a brilliant "hero" for the public
        >relations contractors because she, more than any gung
        >ho, grenade tossing, super soldier makes people in the
        >US sympathise with the troops and therefore with
        >America's "best intentioned" effort "over there."
        >
        >In fact it's a major part of the American imperialist
        >mythos that Americans are the victims, always being
        >put upon by other people, and always naively trying to
        >do good for an ungrateful world. However laughable
        >that might seem to victims of depleated uranium,
        >carpet bombing, napalm, killer sanctions, and economic
        >enslavement, this "nice guy" image is probably the
        >predominant self-image that Americans have of US
        >foreign policy.
        >
        >In that sense, the pretty little blonde being shot at
        >by Iraqi brutes is a golden girl for Madison Avenue -
        >the best possible hero one could imagine for an
        >imperial establishment trying to put a pleasant face

        Dear Eric,

        Many thanks for your analysis and for the Iraqi
        Resistance Report.