Re: Re: [azsecularhumanists] charged dropped against anti-war protester arrested last march

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2003

      >>Interesting. I had thought the charges
      >>were dropped much earlier than that
      >
      >your right 5 of the 7 people arrested
      >had their charges dropped earlier.
      >these were the last two people
      >who were still charged. you have met
      >amy. she is one of the ladys that
      >went to the copwatch class you went
      >to in tempe.
      >
      >>Nonetheless, from having observed these black-clad
      >>protesters with their insistence on marching in
      >>the streets on other occasions, I don't think
      >>the cops were the only fools. I don't see how
      >>being confined to a sidewalk restricts anyone's
      >>free speech or why they feel they have to
      >>march in the streets. The law against this is a
      >>legitimate public safety measure. It's dangerous
      >>having pedestrians going at 5 kilometres per
      >>hour walking among cars going 50 or even bicycles
      >
      >again your right assuming they were protesting
      >in an area with a lot of traffic. and thats
      >what the pigs were saying.
      >
      >but it was saterday which means downtown
      >phoenix is usually deserted and the traffic
      >goes down to next to nothing.
      >
      >the arrests occurred on 2nd street and
      >roosevelt which is a dual residential
      >and business area with next to no traffic
      >about a 3/4 of a mile from downtown phoenix.
      >
      >at one point in the police video tape
      >the cops even talked about arresting
      >the protesters for picketing in a
      >residential area, which if your were
      >not there should indicate there probably
      >was not much traffic.

      That in itself is a case of the police
      misusing the law to intimidate people.
      Residential picketing is a class three
      misdemeanor in Arizona, but what it means
      is picketing a specific person's residence,
      not simply picketing in a residential area.
      For example, if a bunch of people went
      to the sidewalk in front of your house
      with signs saying, "Mike Ross is a so-and-
      so", that would be residential picketing.

      >the protesters were not blocking traffic.
      >yes they were in the street on the west
      >side of 2nd street but it was a minor
      >problem at the most.
      >
      >i was on the side walk and if i had been
      >a few feet closer to joel the pigs would
      >have busted me too. all i was doing
      >was COPWATCHing. it seemed like the pigs
      >just wanted to arrest people for the
      >sake of arresting protesters.
      >
      >mike

      Yes, that is often the case. I'm not
      saying what they did was right. I'm
      saying that we don't need to give them
      excuses. That wasn't the only demonstration
      where the anarchists were marching in the
      street. I've seen them do this several
      other times. That has to stop. There is
      no legitimate political purpose served by
      this unsafe and disorderly behaviour.

      --Kevin
    • mike ross
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2003
        >Yes, that is often the case. I'm not
        >saying what they did was right. I'm
        >saying that we don't need to give them
        >excuses. That wasn't the only demonstration
        >where the anarchists were marching in the
        >street. I've seen them do this several
        >other times. That has to stop. There is
        >no legitimate political purpose served by
        >this unsafe and disorderly behaviour.

        your probably thinking of the anti-war
        demonstration where the anarchists got
        out of hand at patriots square and
        were blocking traffic on washington,
        jefferson, central, and 1st avenue.
        (and amy was in that group too)

        yes they were causing major problems
        there.

        but at the arrest i orginally wrote
        about there was NO traffic on
        second street which is were the
        march was. and very minor traffic
        on roosevelt which is the cross
        street the people got arrested at.

        the trail was very interesting.

        the lawyer on our side was like
        an engineer designing a killing
        machine to kill the pigs testimony.

        while the pigs appeared to either
        lie or FORGET stuff it didnt matter
        with each question the lawyer asked
        it got them into a deeper hole saying
        the people were not blocking traffic.

        he drew a map on a chalk board in the
        court and made the cops draw X's where
        the horse cops were, where the arrest
        was made, where they parked their
        cop cars, and were the vans were that
        carted off the arrested people were.

        as the trial went on from the X's
        drawn on the board by the COPS it
        looked like the only people blocking
        traffic were the COPS. and that the
        people arrested were surronded by
        COPS and didnt have any where to go.

        also the video tapes shown didnt
        show any traffic. and when the lawyer
        asked the cops about how much traffic
        there was there answers were "they
        didnt remember". and he asked them
        did you hear tons of cars honking
        while traffic was stopped the cops
        answered NO.

        i couldnt see the photo the lawyer
        gave the judge which were from the
        web site http://arizona.indymedia.org
        but i suspec they shower that there
        were NO cars on the street, only
        the cops, cop cars, cops on horses,
        and the people arrested.

        the lawyer asked the cop who made the
        arrest. did you tell the protester
        to leave before arresting him.

        the cop said "yes".

        then the lawyer asked the cop if
        the protester who was arrested
        had any where to go.

        the cop said the protester could
        have crawled under one of the
        police horses to leave, but the
        cop said that would have been
        very dangerous.

        at about that time thats when
        the judge took a break, stopped
        the trail and came back and
        said the guy was not guilty.

        mike

        When the government fears the people,
        that is LIBERTY. When people fear the
        government, that is TYRANNY.

        Thomas Jefferson
        Premium Accounts for Legal Professionals
        http://1stcounsel.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 11, 2003
          Dear Mike,

          Fascinating stuff! It is amusing to