Re: Congratulations on 6 October!

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 5, 2003
      Dear Eric,

      Congratulations indeed. It was a minor victory. Egypt gained the east
      side of the canal an ultimately leverage for the Sinai, though Sadat would
      have done better not to sign that dishonourable peace. Given Zionist air
      superiority, it was probably about the best that could be expected.
      When the Egyptian Army ventured out of range of the surface-to-air missile
      protection, the Zionists had the upper hand.

      Now it seems the Zionists have bombed Syria, and neither the Syrian Air
      Force nor ground forces are doing anything about it. I hope there is some
      kind of retaliation, otherwise one wonders why Syria bothers to keep armed
      forces. As the Chinese say, "An army is maintained for 1000 days to be
      used on one." The Americans are hyperextended in Iraq. The Zionists are
      hyperextended in Palestine. If they want Syria involved, the more the
      merrier!

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 6, 2003

        Dear Eric and Kevin,

        The strike was indeed coordinated with Washington, and American responses on
        Syrian support for 'terrorist' groups highlights this. However, don't be
        alarmed at the lack of Syrian response. For one thing, the Syrian military
        is severely outdated, relying heavily on Soviet pre-Prestroyka hardware. So
        it would have been futile to launch a counter-raid or anything of that sort.
        For another thing, the Syrians are masters at playing brinksmanship. THE
        RESPONSE WILL COME INSIDE "ISRAEL" THOURGH ANOTHER HUMAN BOMB. And it will
        bear the name of a Palestinian group, so "Israel" will have to look like the
        aggressor again when it attacks deep inside Syria. Finally, most Arab
        armies are useless really, mired in corruption and internal politics and
        power struggles. During the siege of Lebanon in 1982, a combined force of
        Lebanese and Palestinian resistance fighters managed to keep Beirut
        International Airport against several Zionist attacks, when Syrian units
        besieged in Beirut took over the airport, they lost it in about three hours.
        The Syrian army lost about five thousand troops during the siege just
        trying to WITHDRAW from its positions inside areas in Lebanon being attacked
        by the Zionists. Regular PLO troops collapsed in a more humiliating way.
        On the other hand, a few thousand Palestinian, SYRIAN, and Lebanese
        irregulars managed to keep West Beirut for over months until Yasser Arafat
        struck a compromise to withdraw under American sponsorship, that is, the
        defeat was political, not military in essence. It's true that when Zionist
        troops approached the Syrian borders at a point between 40 and 60 miles from
        Damascus that the Syrians special units put up a fierce fight that stopped
        the Zionist encroachment in its tracks on that particular front only.
        However, if the Syrians are going to draw any lessons whatsoever from the
        aggression on Iraq, they must assign a great deal of trust and
        responsibility to the people (arming them and what have you). But that is
        something I don't see the gov't doing in the near future actually. So the
        alternative for the Syrian gov't is to rely on very flexible political
        maneuvaring and to play their cards well in Palestine, Lebanon, and Iraq
        through the resistance there (it's common knowledge now over here that at
        least some of the Iraqi resistance is supported by Syria).

        On the War of 1973, defeat was indeed snatched from the jaws of victory.
        After the initial advances, the cease-fire lines on the Syrian front were
        closer to Damascus than before the war started. And had it not been for the
        intervention of the Iraqi army at the time, Zionist troops would have ended
        up making deep incursions into Syrian territory. On the Egyptian front,
        Sadat's betrayals left a whole army under siege when he started negotiating
        from a weaker position. He could have gone on to improve the odds as his
        military commandars told him, but that is not something Sadat was likely to
        do. It's not his style!

        Having said all that, Eric's point about the how the 1973 showed there was
        great potential for victory remains very valid. That war also showed,
        nevertheless, that a prerequisite for that victory has to be a determined
        leadership willing to take the fight to the end. But that was not the case,
        especially on Egyptian front. We needed a Stalin for that war, but only got
        a Trojan horse.

        Later
        Ibrahim