Another Arizona serviceman "accidentally" shot dead in Iraq

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2003
      The following article, not attributed to any specific source other than the
      newspaper in which it was printed, appeared on page A27 of the Saturday,
      October 4, 2003 edition of the Arizona Republic. A few weeks ago a soldier
      from Flagstaff, Arizona died in Iraq of a "non-hostile gunshot wound". Now
      it seems this has happened to a seaman from Kingman, Arizona. Tsk, tsk,
      they really should teach soldiers to be more careful with firearms. Otherwise
      they'll be inflicting more casualties on each other than the enemy has
      inflicted on them. Well I know a Naval aviator who was accidentally shot by
      a Marine, so I suppose this may be more common than is commonly thought.
      Funny how the announcement of this death took more than three months, though.

      --Kevin Walsh

      KINGMAN GI'S DEATH ANNOUNCED BELATEDLY

      The Pentagon belatedly announced Friday that a seaman from Kingman died
      June 26 in Karbala, Iraq, from a non-hostile gunshot wound.

      A Navy spokeswoman said no details were available on the death of 22-year-old
      Joshua McIntosh, a hospitalman with an E-3 rank, or why an announcement was
      not made earlier.

      The incident is under investigation, Lieutenant Commander Brauna Carl said.

      McIntosh entered the service in Phoenix in June 2001, she said, and was
      assigned to the Third Battalion, Seventh Marine Regiment, at Twentynine
      Palms, California.

      Carl said she had no information on family members and would be unable to
      release it in any event.
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 4, 2003

        >Dear Kevin,
        >
        >HA! There it is! The guy dies in June and they just
        >get around to announcing it now (October). I wonder
        >how many other belated announcements are going to come
        >trickling back in coming months (and years?).
        >
        >They keep such "careful count" of their dead, how do
        >you suppose any of them could die and not be counted?
        >Particularly since the numbers aren't all that high:
        >even a math dunce like me can count up to a few
        >hundred.
        >
        >Maybe they weren't they sure if he was dead yet?
        >
        >Or maybe they lost his body in June and just now found
        >it in a broom closet?
        >
        >Of course, we mustn't suspect that the Pentagon would
        >intentionally hide these things! :-)
        >
        >No wonder they have no information on the family, and
        >wouldn't release it if they did. They don't want
        >anybody looking for them to ask how they feel about
        >this. I wonder if they got any letters from him that
        >he "wrote" after he died. I suppose that would take
        >too much of the Army's time, though.
        >
        >And I'm sorry if this is hopelessly politically
        >incorrect and in nasty taste, but what kind of girl's
        >name is "Brauna"??!! I guess being a Lt.Cmdr. in the
        >Navy is one appropriate place for a girl named Brauna.
        > I'll bet she's good at boxing and weight lifting.

        Well I've never known any lady named Brauna, so I'm not
        in a position to know. As for delayed reports, I am
        reminded of a letter to the editor published in the
        Arizona Republic sometime in May or June, I think, in
        which the author complained that her husband was in Iraq
        and she hadn't heard from him since March and didn't know
        where he was. She also complained that in his absence
        she was having difficulty with the household expenses.
        I suspect her husband is among the "missing casualties"
        that must eventually be revealed. Families are so
        inconvenient for the Pentagon! They tend to miss members
        who get killed in foreign wars and make trouble about it
        if there's no accounting. Well perhaps we'll see a
        movement like Las Madres de la Plaza de Mayo in Argentina,
        with pickets at the Pentagon saying, "Where is my son?"
        or "Where is my husband?"