Re: genetic testing shows Ashkenazim are Khazars

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      >Thanks for this. I seem to remember reading about it
      >several months ago, but that article had more detail
      >and more discussion about the genetic testing of Jews
      >in "Israel". Apparently it's important to them
      >because they want to tear down al-Haram ash-Sharif
      >mosque complex in Jerusalem and replace it with a
      >temple, but only some specially "pure" family or
      >something is supposed to officiate at services in that
      >temple. It might be that they have to be Levites. I
      >don't know; such garbage anyhow. For people to
      >believe such racist "blue blood" crap in the 21st
      >century boggles the mind.
      >
      >Anyhow, maybe their specially pure priestly line turns
      >out to be all a bunch of Turks and not "pure" at all.
      >Well, that's a good joke on them. Otherwise it
      >undercuts another one of their absurd "claims" on
      >Palestine, that based on genetics. Not that they have
      >a right to set up a Jewish state in Central Asia
      >either. But still it's good to see another myth of
      >that gutter religion debunked.

      Dear Eric,

      What I suspect may have happened is that when the Khazars
      converted to Judaism, some pagan priestly caste of theirs
      hijacked the role of Levites, so they maintained their caste
      identity while masquerading as an entirely differnet caste
      and having nothing to do with the Levites of the Bible.
      I'm just surprised that modern Jews would retain an identity
      as a member of the Levites, though I'm told that names like
      Coen, Cohen, and Kahn are usually indicative of that
      affiliation.