Re: Re: [azsecularhumanists] families of soldiers demand their return

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 15, 2003

      >and prisons to ship off to
      >vietnam. luckly the war didnt
      >get that bad.
      >
      >and then when they had the
      >drawing for numbers i lucked
      >out and my number was something
      >like 360.

      Good for you, Mike!

      We can't dismiss the possiblity that there may be an attempt to
      reintroduce conscription as this war drags on. Convincing the
      authorities that one is more trouble than one is worth is a good
      way to get out of it, as you illustrated. Another good response
      would be, "You want to have your officers fragged and your troops
      shot in the back, by all means draft me. I'd be happy to serve
      the Iraqi people that way." :-)

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 17, 2003

        I still remember my draft "lottery" number was 254 and
        they didn't get that far so they never had to deal
        with me.

        Actually I was ready to just leave the country.

        I confined my protests, though to raising all sorts of
        irritating questions during the registration
        procedure. These days the young guys go online and
        fill in some online form or go to the post office and
        fill in a card. But then (at least in my case in
        Chicago) you had to go to the Selective Service
        office, pick a number and sit, under the portrait of
        Richard Nixon, and wait to talk with some clerk who
        would ask you questions and fill in a form (I guess
        that way you couldn't write nasty notes to them).

        I remember in particular that the woman asked me for
        the name, address, and phone number of someone who
        would know where to reach me 24 hours a day. I asked
        her if that person had to be a US citizen. That was
        another question she had to ask her supervisor, so she
        disappeared and mustn't have come back for 15 minutes.
        I realize I prolonged the process for myself, but it
        was some sort of retaliation.