an unexpected price increase

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2003
      Last week I fueled up my car at the local ARCO station for $1.48 per gallon
      (39 cents per litre)--a price higher than before the war in February but
      the lowest it has been since then. Just yesterday I saw an article in
      The Arizona Republic confirming that overall prices for petrol were at
      their lowest level since the war in Iraq began (and let's not pretend Mr.
      Bush was telling the truth that it is over!)

      This afternoon I took my car to the same filling station and though my
      eyes were deceiving me. The lowest price listed for low-octane petrol
      was $1.72 per gallon (46 cents per litre)--a 24 cent increase from only
      a few days ago! Prices didn't rise this fast even in the weeks before
      the war.

      Something strange is going on, and I don't see any news reports about it.
      The oil companies must know something that they haven't told us yet.
      I think perhaps the Iraqi resistance or al-Qaida have done some serious
      damage somewhere. So much for my taking exercise in the highlands this
      weekend! Oh well, in war sacrifices must be made. Perhaps I can walk along
      the streets late at night when the heat isn't so extreme.