chandler cop arrested for molesting children

  • mike ross
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2003
      http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/0711molest
      11.html

      Chandler officer accused of molesting girl, 14

      Chandler Officer Michael Picard

      Katie Nelson and Senta Scarborough
      The Arizona Republic
      Jul. 11, 2003 12:00 AM

      A Chandler police officer was arrested
      on child molestation charges Thursday,
      accused of having an inappropriate
      relationship with a 14-year-old family
      friend.

      Phoenix police arrested Michael Donovan
      Picard, 33, at noon at his Peoria home.
      He was booked into Madison Street Jail
      on one count of child molestation.

      Picard is suspected of inappropriately
      touching a 14-year-old girl on May 26,
      said Phoenix police Detective Tony
      Morales. Police believe that was the
      first and only time inappropriate
      contact occurred between the two,
      Morales said.

      "As I understand it, he took her to
      their house, where they were hanging
      out during the day," Morales said.

      Picard has been with the Chandler Police
      Department since 1998. He is a patrol
      and DARE officer who works with a youth
      drug prevention program. He has been
      placed on administrative leave.

      "We've notified the schools (where he
      worked)," said Chandler police
      Detective Robert Krautheim. "We don't
      have any information to believe this
      has occurred in the city of Chandler
      or in the DARE program."

      Phoenix police began their investigation
      after the girl's father became suspicious
      about his daughter's Internet
      communication. When he questioned her,
      she became evasive, amplifying his suspicion
      of an inappropriate relationship, Morales
      said.

      Krautheim said Chandler officers were
      "shocked" to learn of Picard's
      arrest. "Obviously, we are still in