Re: more Pentagon technology to spy on citizens

    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003

      >Dear Kevin,
      >
      >It appears that the US government is keen to be able
      >to do at home what it did to the car carrying a group
      >of Islamic militants in Yemen - track them from the
      >air and shoot rockets at them.
      >
      >What a wonderful prospect! With this new system in
      >force, the authorities will know who is on the highway
      >just like "instant messaging" on the internet - as
      >soon as you pull onto the road a signal will tell of
      >your presence and so if they want to come to arrest
      >you, or better still, blow you to kingdom come, the
      >way the Zionists do to Palestinians in cars, they can
      >do so with the utmost efficiency!
      >
      >And people say that utopia is unattainable!
      >
      >Why, with such a system in place there will be no more
      >terrorism at all - just police helicopters everywhere
      >clearing the highways of suspected or possible
      >criminal dissidents.
      >
      >Isn't that comforting?!

      You are quite correct to point out that this system
      may soon mean more than mere surveillance and that it
      is not merely the criminals who need fear it. You
      illustrate the vital need to wake the comatose Americans
      to the tyranny being built all around them.

    • mike ross
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 2, 2003
        knowing how imaging software
        works the system probably
        doesnt work very well. well
        at least for now.

        mike
        >It appears that the US government is keen to be
        able
        >to do at home what it did to the car carrying a
        group
        >of Islamic militants in Yemen - track them from
        the
        >air and shoot rockets at them.
        >
        >What a wonderful prospect!  With this new
        system in
        >force, the authorities will know who is on the
        highway
        >just like "instant messaging" on the internet -
        as
        >soon as you pull onto the road a signal will
        tell of
        >your presence and so if they want to come to
        arrest
        >you, or better still, blow you to kingdom come,
        the
        >way the Zionists do to Palestinians in cars,
        they can
        >do so with the utmost efficiency!
        >
        >And people say that utopia is unattainable!
        >
        >Why, with such a system in place there will be
        no more
        >terrorism at all - just police helicopters
        everywhere
        >clearing the highways of suspected or possible
        >criminal dissidents.
        >
        >Isn't that comforting?!

        You are quite correct to point out that this
        system
        may soon mean more than mere surveillance and
        that it
        is not merely the criminals who need fear
        it.  You
        illustrate the vital need to wake the comatose
        Americans
        to the tyranny being built all around them.

        Shortcut URL to this page:
         http://www.onelist.com/community/azsecularhuman
        ists

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        ---- End Original Message ----

        When the government fears the people,
        that is LIBERTY. When people fear the
        government, that is TYRANNY.

        Thomas Jefferson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003

          >knowing how imaging software
          >works the system probably
          >doesnt work very well. well
          >at least for now.
          >
          >mike

          It is some comfort knowing that, and I do remember there were a few
          cases of mistaken identity when this technology was tested for crowd
          monitoring at a Superbowl game. We should definitely not be
          complacent, however, as technology is constantly changing and
          improving, and it is also possible that there may be classified
          versions of this that are better quality than that which is
          available to the public.

          Back when I was an undergraduate, I heard a rumour from a faculty
          member who was in a position to know (but for that person's
          protection, I will not reveal that person's identity), that the
          CIA had been able to find the location of one of the hostages
          held in Lebanon (an Englishman by the name of Terry Waite, if I'm
          not mistaken), because he was substantially taller than the people
          around him, and the satellite could resolve this. No satellite
          data available to civilian scientists had that kind of resolution
          at the time (and perhaps not now either), so if there is any
          truth to that report, it seems some capabilities are kept from
          public knowledge for a while.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 3, 2003

            I wouldn't take much comfort in the technology's
            inadequacies. Not only because it can be improved
            upon or because the military might have better
            versions (in fact, I'm pretty sure they must or else
            this would be top secret). No, there's another danger
            in that they can use this and regard mistakes as
            "collateral damage".

            Then if they do make a mistaken arrest or even rocket
            the wrong car, we will be told that the tech company
            is at fault, that the cops are faced with
            life-and-death situations every minute, that fighting
            terrorism to protect our liberty is not without a
            price, and all the other crap that they dish out when
            they shoot kids by mistake or arrest or convict people
            who just happen to be handy.

            I don't prefer that their technology be good because a
            lot of the so-called terrorists are really freedom
            fighters, so I'm not interested in their targetting
            the "right people" in the first place. But sloppy
            targetting isn't good for the people either. And
            either way, this is a serious threat.