Cardinal Nimrod addresses the faithful

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2003
      [The following address is entirely the product of Kevin's distracted mind
      and does not represent any real person, living or dead. It is a lampoon
      presented in a spirit of seeking understanding rather that one of
      sacrelige. --Kevin Walsh]

      My dear faithful Catholics,

      I must speak to you today about a topic that has been much talked about in
      the media and among the faithful, yet which is very painful to discuss.
      That topic is how so many of the clergy abused their positions in the church
      to harm innocent children and how so many in the church hierarchy shielded
      them from prosecution and transfered them to assignments that allowed them
      to continue to harm innocent children.

      I have thought long and hard about it, dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
      and I have come to one inescapable conclusion: I blame you. We the bishops
      and archbishops did the dirty work of covering it up, but ultimately you are
      to blame. We did it on your behalf and because of your neglect of your duties
      to the church and your refusal to answer God's call to Holy Orders.

      Over the decades, particularly in the twentieth century, we have had to make
      do with fewer and fewer priests, overworking them, having them serve more and
      more parishioners, have them overwork themselves to serve you, and why?
      Because so few of our best and brightest young men answered God's call to
      vocations, and we had to take what we could get and tolerate what we got,
      transfering them elsewhere if there was trouble, because we weren't getting
      many decent young men who wanted to be priests.

      And from a strictly worldly point of view who could blame the best and
      brightest young men for shunning the priesthood. What do we offer? A
      life of sacrifice: vows of poverty, chastity and obedience. During the
      Middle Ages most common people endured lives of grinding poverty and
      forced obedience, so it didn't seem so bad back then. Chastity was the
      only real sacrifice. Further, back then advancing in the church hierarchy
      was a ticket to real power and influence in society.

      Nowadays an ambitious bright young man can find power and influence by
      being a lawyer, politician, businessman, and there are certainly options
      for most to escape poverty and have less rigid obedience. Who then are the
      few who still seek the seminary? Idealistic young people who would rather
      serve God than enjoy worldly riches? In some cases, yes. Increasingly,
      however, they are the dregs of society, seeking some sort of stability
      in their lives, unable to relate to society as a whole and seeking to
      retreat from it, and some of these people are sick enough to harm the young.

      You wanted us to screen these people? Like fun you did! You'd have
      screamed at least as loud as you are screaming now if you couldn't get into
      mass or have Catholic weddings or funerals or baptisms because there
      weren't enough priests to do it! You can lie to me. You can lie to each
      other, but God knows the truth of what's in your hearts.

      Each of you look into your hearts and ask yourselves if you turned away
      from God's calling because you wanted a bigger paycheck or if your
      access to the church was worth some child's suffering as long as a bishop
      would take the fall or it, and not you. You despise me and all everything
      I've done, and you are satisfied that I'm an old man who will be looking
      up at you from Hell soon. Don't be so smug. Many of you will be joining
      me.

      --Cardinal Nimrod

      [Cardinal Nimrod is obviously quite a bad fellow, but does he have a point?]
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 21, 2003
        >My only observation is that in the Middle Ages and
        >Renaissance, chastity seems to have been honoured in
        >the breech quite commonly -- apparently then with
        >women. Some Popes had kids. I don't know why there
        >has been this turn to children and boys particularly.

        Dear Eric,

        In the Middle Ages one imagines sex with the same sex
        was seldom revealed in public, particularly given that
        both offenders would go to the stake (hence the term
        "faggot") or the gallows. I imagine that the priesthood
        held at least the same attraction to homosexuals as it
        does in modern times, as it provided a respectable
        facade for a man who didn't want to marry a woman.
        The same could be said for pedophiles (though homosexuality
        and pedophilia are very different conditions).

        In modern times, a priest fooling around with an adult
        woman excites less commentary, and unlike pedophilia
        is not generally punished by the civil authorities.
        There have, however, been cases that became public in
        recent years. Archbishop Sanchez of Santa Fe had
        several adult female lovers and was forced to resign
        in 1993.

        I suppose heterosexuals were often attracted to the
        priesthood in the Middle Ages, because the church was
        an institution of great political power. Back then the
        vow of poverty was also often honoured in the breach,
        and the church was a ticket out of poverty for some.

      • mike ross
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 22, 2003
          if you ask me the IDEAL place
          for male homosexuals to hand out
          is somewhere where there are only
          boys. which makes the preisthood
          and military real good places for
          gays to find their vocations in.

          and probably explains why their
          are so many gays in the priesthood.

          mike

          >My only observation is that in the Middle Ages
          and
          >Renaissance, chastity seems to have been
          honoured in
          >the breech quite commonly -- apparently then
          with
          >women.  Some Popes had kids.  I don't know why
          there
          >has been this turn to children and boys
          particularly.

          Dear Eric,

          In the Middle Ages one imagines sex with the
          same sex
          was seldom revealed in public, particularly
          given that
          both offenders would go to the stake (hence the
          term
          "faggot") or the gallows.  I imagine that the
          priesthood
          held at least the same attraction to homosexuals
          as it
          does in modern times, as it provided a
          respectable
          facade for a man who didn't want to marry a
          woman.
          The same could be said for pedophiles (though
          homosexuality
          and pedophilia are very different conditions).

          In modern times, a priest fooling around with an
          adult
          woman excites less commentary, and unlike
          pedophilia
          is not generally punished by the civil
          authorities.
          There have, however, been cases that became
          public in
          recent years.  Archbishop Sanchez of Santa Fe
          had
          several adult female lovers and was forced to
          resign
          in 1993.

          I suppose heterosexuals were often attracted to
          the
          priesthood in the Middle Ages, because the
          church was
          an institution of great political power.  Back
          then the
          vow of poverty was also often honoured in the
          breach,
          and the church was a ticket out of poverty for
          some.

          Shortcut URL to this page:
           http://www.onelist.com/community/azsecularhuman
          ists