Iraqi Sniper fells occupation soldier

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 17, 2003

      Here's an encouraging US news bulletin. (I'm amused
      by the way that US officer identifies Iraqis opposed
      to the occupation as people opposed to "change".)

      By the way we've had two bad attacks by some sort of
      hackers on Arab Nationalist that force everyone off,
      basically. I just got my first Ibrahim message in
      about 24 hours now. If you opened the messages from
      the assailant, it installed some system-killing virus
      in your computer. Fortunately I didn't open any.
      They arrived looking like they came from legitimate
      addresses (including mine) but had unlikely titles and
      all had the same number of K. So I just deleted
      masses of them, but probably eliminated some
      legitimate things as well. The first day I suddenly
      found 400+ new messages, all of 2K or 5k or something.
      Though each virus-laden message was small there were
      enough of them to overflow my mail box.

      I keep correspondence with Arab Nationalist at another
      e-mail address, in part for such eventualities. If I
      need to close down one mail box, I still have others
      to fall back on. I also do that because these free
      yahoo mailboxes fill up pretty fast, but if you have a
      number of them, it isn't so big a problem.

      --------------------

      http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030617/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq&cid=540&ncid=716

      Sniper Kills U.S. Soldier in Baghdad
      38 minutes ago

      By CHRIS TOMLINSON, Associated Press Writer

      KHALDIYAH, Iraq - A sniper killed a U.S. soldier on
      patrol in Baghdad with a single shot, the military
      said Tuesday, while Iraqi officials in nearby towns
      were targeted by drive-by shootings likely designed to
      intimidate them against cooperating with Americans.

      The violence came as U.S. military officials announced
      that American troops had detained 371 people in three
      days of sweeps in Baghdad and northern Iraq (news -
      web sites) meant to "isolate and defeat remaining
      pockets of resistance that are seeking to delay the
      transition to a peaceful and stable Iraq."

      During the attack on the U.S. soldier Monday night,
      the sniper escaped as the soldier collapsed on the
      ground. He was hustled into a military vehicle and
      evacuated to a first aid station, but died shortly
      afterward, said Maj. Sean Gibson, a U.S. military
      spokesman.

      The identity of the soldier, from the 1st Armored
      Division, was withheld pending notification of
      relatives.

      Gibson said the soldier was shot in the chest, even
      though he was protected by body armor. The other
      troops on the patrol did not see the gunman, and it
      was not clear if they returned fire, Gibson said.

      On Sunday, insurgents ambushed two U.S. military
      convoys north of Baghdad, wounding 10 soldiers and an
      unknown number of Iraqi civilians traveling on a bus
      that was passing one of the convoys.

      About 50 U.S. soldiers have died in Iraq since major
      combat operations were declared over on May 1, either
      by hostile fire or operational accidents.

      In Fallujah, 35 miles west of Baghdad, suspected
      anti-American insurgents fired shots into the mayor's
      office and the courthouse. In the nearby town of
      Khaldiyah, more shots were fired into a police station
      overnight Tuesday. No injuries were reported.

      U.S. forces have restored the authority of local
      government agencies in the area, working closely with
      mayors to coordinate aid delivery, paying salaries for
      judges to resume trials and rearming Iraqi police and
      conducting joint patrols.

      The shootings were the first known attacks directed
      against Iraqi officials for cooperating with U.S.
      forces and represented a new front in the insurgents
      attempt to undermine U.S. forces in Iraq.

      "There is an element of society here that doesn't want
      change and they see the coalition forces as bringing
      change in the form of freedom and democracy," said
      Col. David Perkins, commander of the 3rd Infantry
      Division's 2nd Brigade. "Anyone they think is helping
      with that change they are going to try to intimidate
      and that won't work."

      The U.S. military entered its third day of a
      nationwide sweep dubbed Operation Desert Scorpion that
      aims to arrest anti-American insurgents and find heavy
      weapons.

      In the northern towns of Tikrit and Kirkuk, coalition
      forces conducted 36 raids and detained 215
      individuals, said a statement from U.S. Central
      Command.

      Troops in the Baghdad area staged 11 raids and
      detained 156 people, in addition to seizing 121
      rifles, two submachine guns, 19 pistols, 18
      rocket-propelled grenades, four machine guns, 31
      pounds of explosives, and some chemical protective
      masks, the statement said.

      The statement did not say how many of the detainees
      were released, but officers on the ground said many
      were set free after brief interrogations clearing them
      of suspicion.

      A U.S. officer familiar with the interrogation of the
      prisoners said they were supplying important
      information, but he declined to elaborate and spoke on
      condition of anonymity.

      After barging into a tough Sunni Muslim neighborhood
      and seizing 44 men for questioning, U.S. soldiers
      released all but 13 on Tuesday. Truckloads of medical
      supplies seized in the raids were to be donated to a
      local hospital.

      The Iraqis remaining in custody included three
      suspected of organizing and helping carrying out a
      June 1 ambush on U.S. troops in the Azamiyah
      neighborhood.

      All were being interrogated by Army
      counterintelligence officers, in hopes of gleaning
      leads to the dozen or so Iraqi irregulars who shot and
      tossed grenades at soldiers from the U.S. Army's 1st
      Armored Division. The June 1 ambush at the Abu Hanifa
      mosque in east Baghdad injured two U.S. soldiers and
      sparked a firefight that killed two Iraqis.

      A pair of raids Monday capped weeks of painstaking
      intelligence gathering from Iraqi informants who
      picked out suspects' houses, as well as surveillance
      photos from U.S. Special Forces and satellite imagery,
      said Maj. Scott Bisciotti, an operations officer with
      1st Armored.

      "We've been pursuing every lead, trying to connect all
      the dots and develop targets," Bisciotti said.

      ____

      AP correspondent Jim Krane contributed to this report.