myth and reality in Iraq clashing

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 2003
      The following letter to the editor appeared on page B10 of the Wednesday, June
      11, 2003 edition of The Arizona Republic. In some ways it is extremely
      stupid, particularly to those not familiar with the myths of American popular
      ideology. It must seem absurd to any objective foreigner to expect people
      to be happy and grateful when their country is invaded, but Americans have
      been taught to expect that this is the result when American troops invade
      other countries. What we see in this letter is an attempt to make sense
      out of a clash between myths about Iraq and reality, and the conclusion,
      while stupid, may be useful in applying pressure to the imperialists.

      --Kevin Walsh

      LET'S PULL TROOPS FROM NASTY IRAQ

      The daily reports of the killing and maiming of our soldiers in Iraq are
      heartbreaking.

      I could possibly understand their deaths if there were just one ounce of
      gratefulness on the part of the Iraqis for our efforts to deliver them from
      an evil dictator. However, the opposite seems to be true.

      There is glee and delight when our GIs get killed or wounded, and outward
      displays of downright hatred and malice toward them at every turn. Let's
      face it, the people over there are taught to hate us when they are still in
      the cradle, and they always will wish us harm even when we are not physically
      located in their region.

      Let's get our troops home and give that ungrateful nation what they wish for.
      Our soldiers are too precious to be offered up to hateful people in the
      interests of political manipulations.

      --Dietrich Buczko
      Mesa [Arizona]