Re: Kirkuk handed to Kurds in rigged election

    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2003
      >I wonder also about how many people refuse to go along
      >with "elections" that are patently in the hands of the
      >Americans. I suspect there are some who wouldn't
      >deign to be candidates or functionaries under the US
      >imperialists.

      Dear Eric,

      This is an important point that I neglected to mention.
      Glad you brought it up. President Hussein ordered Iraqis
      to boycott the occupiers in every way, and that would
      certainly include not participating in any "elections" the
      occupiers staged. Quite probably most citizens of Kirkuk,
      Arab and Kurdish, did not participate in this election.
      Further, it is noteworthy from the original article that
      all candidates were U.S.-approved, so obviously no candidate
      who would advocate resistance (even non-violent resistance)
      to the occupation would be among the candidates.

      >I would think that it would be in the interests of big
      >oil and Zionism to divide the oil areas of Iraq, so
      >that Kirkuk could go to Kurds, while the south could
      >go to the Shiites. The problem with the Kirkuk
      >settlement is that Turkey has been very adamant about
      >not letting the Kurds in Northern Iraq pick up any
      >ground or increase their power. Unfortunately for
      >Ankara, it looks like their big friends in Washington
      >and Tel Aviv have treated them like second-rate
      >partners again. Who would have expected??!! :-)
      >
      >One would hope they'd figure out what's going on, but
      >I think that the Turkish ruling classes have long ago
      >decided that being a second rate servant for America
      >is better than being a first rate rebel. Turkish
      >masses might have other ideas if they have the time
      >and freedom to use their own heads, but generally they
      >lack the one or the other or both, given that they
      >have to scrounge most humiliatingly just to eke out a
      >living wage while the wealthy live like Americans.

    • mike ross
      Message 2 of 3 , May 27, 2003
        i think the word "democracy" should
        mean an "american puppet government"