Re: [azsecularhumanists] Re: The American Civil War

    Message 1 of 6 , May 22, 2003

      >i think thats correct kevin.
      >the north wanted to force the south to
      >buy goods from the NORTH which were
      >much more expensive then the same
      >goods made in england. and in my
      >stinking libertarian eyes this is
      >effectivelly a tax.
      >
      >>Perhaps Mike was refering to the tariff issue
      >rather than
      >>direct taxation. �That may have been a minor
      >issue, given
      >
      >also some of the things joel touched on
      >i remember reading about.
      >
      >for example slavery was an issued concerning
      >future states. im not sure but i think the
      >the south wanted all the new states to be
      >slave states. which included arizona.
      >
      >if you dig up the arizona terrortial constition
      >you will see some interesting references to
      >slaves which were legal back in the arizona
      >terrority. from when i read it a while back
      >the referneces seemed to refer to indian slaves.

      Arizona did not exist as a separate territory
      until 1863, and it was created, like the
      state of West Virginia, for purely political
      reasons, pursuant to the Emancipation Proclamation
      under the "designated part of any state" clause.
      Since by 1 January 1863, neither the region
      that became Arizona nor the region that became
      West Virginia were still "in a state of
      rebellion" against the United States, they
      were not to be included in the emancipation
      of slaves that would apply to the rest of
      New Mexico Territory and the rest of the state
      of Virginia. So technically slavery was legal
      in Arizona until the 13th Amendment passed in
      1866.

      The upshot is that there is no Arizona
      territorial constitution. The constitution
      that affected Arizona territory was the
      constitution of New Mexico territory, which
      passed in 1850. I seem to recall this
      constitution gave the franchise to any 21+
      year old white male. The language seemed
      to indicate that Mexican-American men were
      considered "white" and therefore could vote
      but that free Blacks and Indians were not
      eligible to vote. How it worked in practice
      I don't know. I don't remember the part
      about Indian slaves, but it's been a long
      time since I read the document. I'm given
      to understand that when the war began in
      1861, there were nine Negro slaves in the
      entire New Mexico Territory (which then
      included modern New Mexico, Arizona, and
      southeastern Nevada). Clearly existing
      slavery in Arizona wasn't a big issue.
      The Confederates may have anticipated that
      slavery would expand west from Texas with
      them.