Islamist site on Mugabe, Kerbala

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2003

      Here's an "issue" on the on-line Islamist "magazine"
      New Trend put out by the Pakistani I met at David
      Irving's conference last September. The two articles
      -- on Mugabe and the Shiite meeting in Karbala are
      both quite interesting.

      ----------------

      New Trend Magazine (www.newtrendmag.org) [Biggest
      Islamic web site in the U.S.]
      P.O. Box 356, Kingsville, MD 21087. Phone:
      410-435-5000.
      Disclaimer: Views expressed are not necessarily shared
      by editorial committee. Responses (positive or
      negative) to 250 words are welcome. Names will be
      withheld on request

      --------------
      Mugabe: A New Mandela from Africa Speaks out
      Calls Attack on Iraq "Grave, Criminal Act"

      ZIMBABWE
      Mugabe tells US govt to 'go hang'
      Posted Tue, 22 Apr 2003

      Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe on Monday told the
      US government to "go hang" and said the US-led
      coalition's operations in Iraq were "a grave
      criminal act".
      Mugabe, in an Easter interview broadcast on state
      television to mark the nation's 23rd anniversary of
      independence from British colonial rule, said
      Western countries described him as a dictator in the
      mould of Saddam Hussein.
      "When you stick to your principles they say you are a
      dictator.
      I am not a dictator," he said.
      In Iraq, "you have a death toll of children, you have
      people without limbs, you have in international crime
      that is being committed ... a grave criminal act,"
      Mugabe said.
      Mugabe accuses Bush of vote rigging
      Mugabe castigated the State Department's top official
      on Africa, Walter Kansteiner, and President George W.
      Bush over US criticisms of last year's presidential
      elections in Zimbabwe.
      Mugabe narrowly won a vote condemned by independent
      observers as swayed by political violence and vote
      rigging.
      "Who is Kansteiner to denounce the validity of our
      election? If he doesn't listen, let him go hang. Bush,
      of all people, is saying so. We stick by our
      election verdict. What happened in Florida? Who of the
      two of us cheated on elections? It was obviously
      Bush," Mugabe said.
      The United States and the European Union, along with
      Zimbabwe's oppositionMovement for Democratic Change,
      have refused to accept the results of last year's
      poll.
      The US government has imposed travel restrictions on
      Mugabe and officials in his government and ruling
      party.
      Mugabe acknowledges hardship but defends policy
      Mugabe acknowledged the southern African nation was
      facing its worst economic crisis since independence in
      1980 and had experienced "three years of suffering"
      since he launched an often violent program to
      confiscate thousands of white-owned farms. But he
      defended the land-reform policy.
      "We are delighted at last our land is now the people's
      land. The white man has been displaced by the black
      man. We are strong politically," he said.
      Mugabe described the opposition as "neo-colonialist
      extensions of Britain" and "agents of imperialism"
      nurtured by British Prime Minister Tony Blair and
      white farmers, the descendants of British colonial-era
      settlers.
      "Let it be known we are not totally independent until
      we take over our land.
      Now the land is in our hands, we have the capacity to
      improve the lot of our people. These hardships are
      going to go," he said.
      Zimbabwe suffers acute shortages of food, gasoline and
      essential imports.
      [Source not given by sender.]
      --------------------------
      [Report by our Iraq Monitor]
      U.S. Media's Coverage of the Karbala Gathering:
      Covering Up the Tragedy of Iraq

      There was something eerie about the U.S.
      media's three day coverage of the Shia gathering in
      Karbala. Muslims have always complained about the
      difficulty of getting their activities reported in the
      U.S. media.
      Historic anti-U.S., anti-Bush, anti-war rallies in
      Indonesia, Morocco and many other countries did not
      get more than passing reference in the U.S. media.
      Pakistan's unprecedented marches by millions in
      Karachi, Rawalpindi, Lahore, Peshawar, Quetta and
      Hyderabad got near ZERO coverage. [The only above
      zero report was negative, with the false claim that
      70,000 had turned up in Lahore.]
      Atrocities against Iraqi and Palestinian
      Muslims, even when reported by the Arab media, have
      been kept off the air in America. No one here saw
      what happened to Kurds of Ansar al-Islam or the people
      of Basra or to Baghdad's civilians owing to the U.S.
      bombing.
      Rachel Corrie, the sweet rose of America, a
      household name among people of conscience from San
      Francusco to New York, has yet to appear on U.S. TV.
      Why? She gave her life in trying to stop Israeli
      atrocities against Palestinians, crushed by an Israeli
      bulldozer intent on demolishing a Palestinian home.
      Then came the gathering in Kerbala. EVERY MAJOR
      TV CHANNEL, both cable and the evening network news,
      reported it for three days. Note the main points:
      1. The U.S. media were enthusiastic about the
      gathering. NOT ONE NEGATIVE WORD WAS SAID ABOUT THE
      GATHERING. No snide comments about Shi'ism!
      2. CNN, MSNBC and others insisted, REPEATEDLY,
      that there were at least a million people there. Some
      remarks were also made about TWO million being there.
      [Compare with how much difficulty anti-war marchers
      have had WITHIN the U.S. in getting the media to
      report marches of 100,000 or more people.
      CNN has tended to whittle down half a million people
      to one hundred thousand.]
      3. The photography, however, gave the lie to the
      figure of one million. The crowd at Kerbala did not
      appear to be more than 30 to 50 thousand.
      Not a million!
      4. The media insisted that THERE WERE AT LEAST
      SOME people calling for removal of U.S. troops from
      Iraq. These very few anti-U.S. banners, specially
      prepared in English for the media, were given extra
      high coverage.
      5. Just in case Americans really thought that
      these people were anti-U.S., there was an interview
      with the ayatollah in charge who made it very clear
      that he and his people were very grateful to the U.S.
      [6. CNN HEADLINE NEWS almost gave the game away by
      saying that in Saddam's time too such gatherings were
      held but then "people used to come in buses and
      cars and there was high security."]
      Our Analysis: A gathering in Kerbala is nothing
      strange or unusual. All Muslims honor the grandson of
      the Prophet (pbuh). However, the media gave it
      maximum coverage to create the impression that IRAQ IS
      NOW FREE. Thus, bleeding, torn, looted, pillaged Iraq
      was presented as "free and liberated" through this
      filming of crowds at Kerbala.
      People no longer have to think that B-52s and
      B-1s were used to bomb a crowded city like Baghdad,
      that thousands of civilians were killed and maimed,
      that Iraq was defenseless against American tanks, and
      fidayeen and mujahideen gave their lives trying to
      stop tanks with RPGs and AK47s.
      People no longer have to question the burning of
      the Qur'an library, the looting of museums, the
      desecration of the resting place of Shaikh Abdul
      Qadir Jilani, the attack on the mosque of Imam Abu
      Hanifa. All that is to be replaced with crowds
      celebrating in Kerbala.
      The extra touch by the organizers of the show
      were the handful of anti-U.S. banners to provide
      "authenticity" and give credence.
      The Shias are allowing themselves to be used,
      throwing salt on the wounds of the Ummah. They will be
      used and discarded but will have successfully aroused
      suspicion against themselves. [Compare with the
      situation in Mosul where U.S. troops fired on civilian
      demonstrators, killing 11 and wounding more than 100.
      The U.S. entered Mosul with a tremendous show of
      military power, tanks and Apaches, to quell the
      civilian opposition.]

      http://search.yahoo.com