Mr. Fulmer Vs Mr. Paine, Liberty vs forced Atheism

  • katie jones
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2003

      Mr. Fulmer,

      Better to let people think you foolish than to prove that you are.

      Witness Mr. Paine:

      From "Common Sense"

      As to religion, I hold it to be the indispensable duty of every government, to protect all conscientious professors thereof, and I know of no other business which government hath to do therewith. Let a man throw aside that narrowness of soul, that selfishness of principle, which the niggards of all professions are so unwilling to part with; and he will be at once delivered of his fears on that head. Suspicion is the companion of mean souls, and the bane of all good society. For myself, I fully and conscientiously believe, that it is the will of the Almighty, that there should be a diversity of religious opinions among us: it affords a larger field for our Christian kindness. Were we all of one way of thinking, our religious dispositions would want matter for probation; and on this liberal principle, I look on the various denominations among us, to be like children of the same family, differing only, in what is called, their Christian names.

      Further in "The American Crisis"

      I have as little superstition in me as any man living, but my secret opinion has ever been, and still is, that God Almighty will not give up a people to military destruction, or leave them unsupportedly to perish, who have so earnestly and so repeatedly sought to avoid the calamities of war by every decent method which wisdom could invent. Neither have I so much of the infidel in me, as to suppose that he has relinquished the government of the world, and given us up to the care of devils �

      Mr. Paine spoke out against the evils of government of abusive religion and "priestcraft". Mr. Paine believed in the liberty of the mind from all tyranny including liberty in forms of philosophy and tyrannies in the form or forced religions. Mr. Fulmer (whose ravings can be found elsewhere in these groups) believes in an intolerant Atheism and brooks no disagreement or dissent nor does he seek peaceful coexistence. His "religion of no religion" rivals the most intolerant and radical form of Christianity, Islam or Zionisam.

      Mr. Fulmer, you have the right to any belief or to a belief in nothing. Your right to hold that belief, to change it and to express it has been defended to the death for more than 225 years by those who disagree with you. It will continue to be protected by those same people whom you so despise.

      I would be most interested in hearing why you wish to deny the freedoms you enjoy to others and why you are willing to take no action or risk anything to assist those who desire them?

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Do you Yahoo!?