professor invokes Somali heroism to protest Iraq war

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 29, 2003
      The following article appeared on page A10 of the Saturday 29 March 2003
      edition of The Arizona Republic and is credited to the Associated Press.
      Many of us remember the lame excuses the Bush and Clinton administrations
      used for their invasion of Somalia, particularly the one about claiming to
      be feeding famine victims. The heroic resistance of the Somali people
      quickly shattered that myth. Now an American professor calls upon the
      people of Iraq to show similar heroism, and the people of Iraq are showing it.

      --Kevin

      COLUMBIA PROFESSOR CALLS FOR DEFEAT OF U.S. FORCES, A "MILLION MOGADISHUS"

      New York--A Columbia University professor told an anti-war gathering that he
      would like to see "a million Mogadishus"--referring to the 1993 ambush in
      Somalia that killed 18 American servicemen.

      At Wednesday night's "teach-in" on the Columbia campus, Nicholas De Genova
      also called for the defeat of U.S. forces in Iraq and said, "The only true
      heroes are those who find ways that help defeat the U.S. military." And he
      said Americans who call themselves "patriots" are White supremacists.

      De Genova's comments about defeating the United States in Iraq were cheered
      by the crowd of 3,000, Newsday reported. But his mention of the Somali
      ambush--"I personally would like to see a million Mogadishus"--was largely
      met with silence.

      A call Friday to De Genova, 35, an assistant professor of anthropology, was
      answered with a recording that said his voice mailbox was full.

      The university said in a statement that De Genova "was speaking as an
      individual at a teach-in.

      "He was exercising his right to free speech. His statement does not in any
      way represent the views of Columbia University."

      History Professor Eric Foner, who helped organize the teach-in and spoke after
      De Genova, said Friday, "I disagreed strongly and I said so. If I had known
      what he was going to say I would have been reluctant to have him speak."

      He said De Genova was a last-minute invitee, was just one of about 25 speakers
      and "did not represent the general tone of the event..."
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 2003
        Eric certainly brings up some good points here, and this shows the
        weakness of political correctness. It may be within the confines of
        political correctness to oppose imperialist wars of conquest, but it
        is politically incorrect to advocate inflicting the casualties needed
        to do this. I had a similar struggle with Jim Bronke over language
        and semantics, and for that reason he is no longer accepting my posts.
        Just as well, I was sick of his cringing call to "support our troops".
        They aren't my troops, just because they are American citizens. They
        are the mercenary troops of the Jew government, and for this invasion
        to end, many of them have to die. To "support" them would be to hinder
        our goal. This notion that whatever Americans think of the war, they
        have a patriotic duty to "support our troops" is a stealth tactic by
        the enemy to try to convince the anti-war elements to objectively support
        the war.

        Eric Foner is supposed to be a progressive, maybe even
        a CPUSA member/supporter. I find his lack of
        solidarity with De Genova outrageous. Even if he
        disagreed he should score a point against the
        aggression on the way, not just say, "I really didn't
        know this guy, I wouldn't let him say that."

        First, I don't know how one is supposed to defeat an
        army other than by inflicting casualties. I don't
        suppose the Foner would have liked it better if De
        Genova had called for "decapitating the US regime" by
        "taking out Bush and blowing up the Pentagon."

        So attacks on the men are what is left.

        I don't suppose De Genova's calls for a million
        Mogadishus was meant to be a precise mathematical
        calculation meaning a call for killing 18 million
        American soldiers -- one would certainly hope the
        Americans would be sensible enough to give up long
        before that.

        I guess the lesson is that you must speak in abstract
        terms.

        "I hope the US sustains a telling military defeat."
        is ok;

        "I hope lots of American troops get killed on the
        battlefield compelling the US to pull up and go home."
        is not ok. Though both mean the same thing.

        I guess this is the etiquette of revolutionary
        rhetoric in an academic environment.