Libertarian lawyer expelled from judge position

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
      Mike Ross will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Marc Victor is something
      of the "attorney-general" for the Libertarians in Phoenix, representing
      Ernest Hancock and others in civil rights cases. He held a temporary
      judge post, but apparently his position on drugs laws caused him to lose it.
      The following article appeared on page B1 of the friday 28 March 2003
      edition of The Arizona Republic and is credited to reporter Jim Walsh of
      the Republic (no relation to me).

      --Kevin Walsh

      FILL-IN JUDGE FIRED FOR REFUSAL TO HEAR DRUG CASES

      A judge pro tem was fired Thursday, his first day on the job at a Mesa
      courthouse, for refusing to hear drug cases.

      Arizona Chief Justice Charles Jones fired Marc Victor, a Mesa defense
      attorney, saying Victor "expressly declared his inability to be impartial
      in the application of the law and the disposition of cases before him."

      But Victor, a marijuana legalization activist, said he recused himself only
      on drug cases, not all cases.

      "I thought it was the honest, up-front thing to do," said Victor, who
      brought a six-page proposed "minute entry" with him to Maricopa County
      Superior Court, outlining why he believes drug laws violate the U.S. and
      Arizona Constitutions.

      Victor is a member of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana
      Laws' legal committee. NORML supports legalization.

      Victor's document stirred a hornet's nest when it reached Chief Presiding
      Criminal Judge Thomas O'Toole and Presiding Superior Court Judge Colin
      Campbell.

      After conferring with Campbell, O'Toole called Victor at the Mesa courthouse
      and dismissed him, saying "we're not happy with your performance," Victor
      said.

      Pro tem judges are unpaid attorneys who fill in for full-time judges.

      "It made me feel there is no room for dissent on the bench," Victor said.
      "That's what shocked me, how quick they threw me off the bench."

      he said the incident shows there is a litmus test that bars judges who oppose
      drug laws.

      J.W. Brown, a Superior Court spokeswoman, said pro tems "serve at the pleasure
      of the court, and his services were not needed."

      Jones rescinded Victor's appointment as the judge pro tem at Campbell's
      request, according to a brief court document.

      Commissioner Elizabeth Ariola had agreed to handle the court's drug calender
      and the seven drug cases on Victor's routine morning calender.
    • mike ross
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003
        marc victor is just another libertrarian
        lawyer. and what he did was planned in
        advance as a protest against the stupid
        drug war. the minute entry was made up
        at least two weeks ago.

        while i do know that marc victor and
        ernie hang out together i dont know
        anything about their releations other
        then that.

        mike

[...]

        Shortcut URL to this page:
         http://www.onelist.com/community/azsecularhuman
        ists

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        ---- End Original Message ----

        Sent by 1stcounsel Mail
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 28, 2003

          >marc victor is just another libertrarian
          >lawyer. and what he did was planned in
          >advance as a protest against the stupid
          >drug war. the minute entry was made up
          >at least two weeks ago.
          >
          >while i do know that marc victor and
          >ernie hang out together i dont know
          >anything about their releations other
          >then that.
          >
          >mike

          Thanks Mike. I seem to recall Mr. Hancock mentioned his name as his
          counsel at the Arizona Department of Revenue protest last summer.

          --Kevin
        • mike ross
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 30, 2003
            yes marc victor was one of the speakers