new site for Iraq satellite channel

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 27, 2003

      >Dear Kevin,
      >
      >Somebody has written to tell me that one can view
      >Iraqi TV at or via the following sites:
      >
      >http://slate.msn.com/id/2080681
      >
      >http://www.webcamsue.demon.nl/
      >
      >I've tried both of them and neither seems to work.
      >The second one came close, however. It is POSSIBLE
      >that the reason was the hour. It's not yet 7:30 AM in
      >Baghdad and their TV may not come on air until later.

      Dear Eric,

      I tried also. For brief moments I received an audio
      signal but no video. It may be that due to cruise
      missile attacks they are down to audio also. Transmission
      wasn't good at all, but then I've had problems in peacetime
      as well.

      >One of those sites has an elaborate suggestion for
      >getting a proxy server. I didn't try that either.
      >
      >I tried a proxy server once to do e-mail anonymously,
      >but first of all it slowed everything down just
      >terribly. Second of all, it wouldn't pull up some
      >sites. It seemed to have some sort of built-in child
      >protection or something or maybe virus protection that
      >made it freak at Arabic (which sometimes shows up as
      >"virus" to these programmes).
      >
      >I mentioned that long interview with Bashshar al-Asad.
      > Down below are two questions and answers that I've
      >translated containing his expectations on the
      >direction of events.
      >
      >Syria has not been nearly as militant as I would like,
      >but it's clearly the best regime after Iraq's and they
      >have been moving closer to Baghdad. In fact it's not
      >impossible that Damascus and Baghdad have worked out
      >that Damascus should do diplomatically what is
      >necessary to keep open and un-sanctioned and
      >un-invaded so as to allow Iraq a window to the outside
      >world through which to get supplies from Russia,
      >China, etc. The Iraqi foreign minister recently
      >attended the Arab league summit in Cairo, and since he
      >stopped in Damascus on the way to Cairo (and nobody in
      >the west expected he would get out of Baghdad) it is
      >clear that Damascus is the way in and out.
      >
      >Bashshar's words are just words, of course, but if we
      >use the analogy of a party, if some members are
      >illegal and underground, it doesn't hurt to have
      >others who are functioning legally.
      >
      >And what Bashshar says is extremely important. He
      >doesn't "dis" the Iraqi regime. Also, notice that he
      >didn't answer the part of the question having to do
      >with Iran. (And the next question in the interview
      >changed the topic.)
      >
      >Next, have you read the latest Russian intelligence
      >report? Much better news than yesterday. It seems
      >the Iraqis made good use of the sandstorms:
      >
      >http://www.aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news080.htm
      >
      >I don't know quite what the deal is with that site.
      >Normally countries aren't eager to share their
      >intelligence, even the third-rate stuff and some of
      >this is presumably from electronic intercepts.
      >
      >So it might be an attempt by Moscow to help Iraq
      >indirectly, at least on the level of propaganda. The
      >Russians stand to be totally displaced from Iraq if
      >the US takes over. The French too, but they are
      >sleazy and might squeeze in somewhere. The Russians
      >would have a worse time and meanwhile NATO has
      >slithered further east. Even Tsar Nikolai wouldn't
      >like the looks of this scenario.
      >
      >So maybe Yura was right to hail the sailing of a
      >Russian naval vessel to the waters near Iraq. That
      >ship might be the source of some of the electronic
      >spying. (Quite possibly Syria too.)

      I have checked it out. If this is good intelligence,
      American and British casualties must be in the thousands
      now! This is going to be hard for Bush to cover up!

      >On Saddam Husayn's florid style -- I think it appeals
      >to tribal and Islamic types. I can't make it clear in
      >my translation, but there are many turns of phrase
      >that are reminiscent of the Qur'an and so forth.
      >
      >Right now the Arab left is useless. But if there are
      >any groups that have mass following AND some sort of
      >organization (which is necessary if you want to go
      >beyond protest to overthrowing regimes) they are the
      >Islamist groups. So Saddam Husayn is right to tune
      >into their wavelength, in my opinion. The tribes in
      >Jordan are the power base of the King, if he can steal
      >that away AND appeal to the Palestinians And the
      >religious (which is a large percentage of the
      >population) the chance that slogans and fist waving
      >can turn into a mass revolution is that much higher.
      >
      >Contrary to what the western media report about
      >Saddam's "oppression" and "fear of his people" he has
      >for a long time made a practice of delivering weapons
      >to the tribes, even the Shiite ones in the south.
      >That makes tribal shaykhs like him and empowers them,
      >and the tribes as well -- as long as they stay loyal.
      >The tribes have already been doing some fighting
      >apparently.
      >
      >There is now talk about "sleeper divisions" (like
      >sleeper agents) that don civilian clothes and lie low
      >until they can strike from the rear.
      >
      >Tonight al-Jazeera has come back. Evidently it was
      >"hacked." I suspect it was US government "computer
      >guerrillas".

      As always, many thanks for your translations and other
      sources of information!