Clear Channel Communications promotes war

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 27, 2003
      I was wondering why Tim and Willy of local station KNIX 102.5 seemed to have
      lost their objectivity on political matters months ago. Looks like they are
      paid whores of the Jew government. I call on all ethical employees of
      Clear Channel Communications to refuse to broadcast war propaganda. As for
      another of their whores, Glenn Beck, he doesn't sound like much of a
      Libertarian to me, and I'm sure Mike Ross would agree with me on that.
      The following article appeared on page A8 of the thursday 27 March 2003
      edition of The Arizona Republic and is credited to Michael Robinkam of the
      Associated Press.

      --Kevin

      RADIO HOST PROMOTES PRO-MILITARY GATHERINGS

      "Rallies For America" Drawing Thousands In Various Cities

      Philadelphia--Flag-draped "Rallies for America" across the country are
      drawing thousands of people to demonstrate support for U.S. troops in the
      Persian Gulf, a less visible counterpoint to the large crowds who have
      flocked to war protests.

      Many of the pro-military gatherings were originated by syndicated radio
      host Glenn Beck, whose Philadelphia-based show is heard in more than 100
      markets. There have been nearly 20 in recent weeks, with organizers
      estimating total attendance into the tens of thousands.

      Beck, 39, is careful not to call the rallies pro-war, although participants
      tend to support military action against Iraq. The conservative commentator
      said the point of the rallies is to boost troop morale.

      "I would find it obscene to be standing in a crowd saying, 'Let's kill
      Saddam,'" Beck said. "That's not what this is about. This is thoughtful,
      prayerful, decent human beings...there just to say, 'Whatever happens,
      we support these people in uniform.'"

      About 15,000 people attended a rally in Auburn, Indiana, on Saturday,
      cramming shoulder-to-shoulder in a hangarlike building with a capacity of
      16,000.

      Rallygoers in red, white and blue sang patriotic songs, waved signs and
      cheered at photos of President Bush, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and
      others. On the state was a giant American flag and a model of the Statue of
      Liberty.

      "It makes me feel really, really good to know this many people really
      support our children," said Kim Cook, 43, whose son, Ross, is a Marine
      lance corporal in Iraq. "It's been a big fear that they'd come home and
      be treated like when they came home from Vietnam."

      Other rallies have been held in cities including Houston, Atlanta, Cleveland,
      Oklahoma City, San Antonio and Nashville. Beck attended several of them.

      Beck, who went into radio as a teenager and spent most of his career in Top
      40 before debuting three years ago as a talk-show host, said he worried that
      American trops were hearing only about war protests.

      "When you're in the thick of things, you can feel awfully lonely if you don't
      see other people actively standing up for you," he said.

      Although Beck's Web site calls him a "Mormon whose politics lean toward
      libertarian," he said he shuns party labels.

      Beck voted for George W. Bush in the presidential election but also voted
      for Democrat Joe Lieberman in a Senate election when he lived in
      Connecticut.

      Beck is syndicated by an arm of Clear Channel Communications, the nation's
      largest radio station operator, with about 1200 stations.

      Most of the rallies are organized and paid for by local Clear Channel
      stations, with financial help from one of Beck's advertisers, clothing
      manufacturer Bills Khakis of Reading, Pennsylvania.

      Clear Channel has a reporter embedded with a Marine unit in Iraq, leading
      one expert to question whether the company's support for the rallies
      creates at least the perception that its news report is compromised.

      "When a media company takes an advocacy position on a significant public
      policy issue, it cna certainly undermine the credibility of that media
      company's journalists," said Bob Steele, director of the journalism ethics
      program at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Florida.

      But Amir Forester, a spokeswoman for Clear Channel subsidiary Premier Radio
      Networs, which syndicates Beck, said, "There is not hidden agenda here."

      For their part, rallygoers say that too much media attention has been given
      to war protests, which have attracted hundreds of thousands, despite polls
      indicating that a majority of Americans support the war.

      Salman Afsharpour, 54, who was born and raised in Iraq, moved to the United
      States in 1977 and attended a rally in Atlanta, said he suppors American
      military action against his homeland.

      "Those who talk about peace and don't support war don't know what they're
      talking about. They don't know the atrocities Saddam has committed," said
      Afsharpour, who was holding a sign that read, "Give war a chance. Support
      President Bush."
    • mike ross
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 28, 2003
        i dont even know who Glenn Beck is
        so i dont know if he is a libertarian.

        mike

> [...]

        director of the journalism ethics
        program at the Poynter Institute in St.
        Petersburg, Florida.

        But Amir Forester, a spokeswoman for Clear
        Channel subsidiary Premier Radio
        Networs, which syndicates Beck, said, "There is
        not hidden agenda here."

        For their part, rallygoers say that too much
        media attention has been given
        to war protests, which have attracted hundreds
        of thousands, despite polls
        indicating that a majority of Americans support
        the war.

        Salman Afsharpour, 54, who was born and raised
        in Iraq, moved to the United
        States in 1977 and attended a rally in Atlanta,
        said he suppors American
        military action against his homeland.

        "Those who talk about peace and don't support
        war don't know what they're
        talking about.  They don't know the atrocities

        Shortcut URL to this page:
         http://www.onelist.com/community/azsecularhuman
        ists

        Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to