Iraqi expatriates return for war

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2003
      The Jew-media had predicted a massive wave of refugees fleeing Iraq at
      the start of the war. Thus far this has not happened. Apparently Iraqis
      prefer to stay and fight. Moreover the net flow of Iraqis is back into
      Iraq from abroad with the motive to join the fight against the Americans
      and the British. The following article appeared on page A5 of the Wednesday,
      26 March 2003 edition of The Arizona Republic and is credited to Margaret
      Coker of Cox News Services.

      --Kevin

      IRAQI EXPATRIATES RETURN TO BATTLE U.S.

      Amman, Jordan--Clothes stuffed into carry-on suitcases, furry synthetic
      blankets rolled like sleeping bags, packages of cookies and stout hearts.
      They are the motley supplies of hundreds of Iraqi expatriates leaving Jordan
      on buses bound for Iraq.

      The men are returning as volunteers to defend their homeland against the U.S.-
      led invasion.

      Jordan, Iraq's neighbor to the west, has served as a haven for at least
      300,000 Iraqis who over the past 15 years have fled their country's wars,
      repression and economic hardships. Now, with a military conflict
      intensifying, many feel a patriotic urge to go home.

      "I called my father last night in Baghdad. He told me come home right
      away. He said I am needed to fight the aggressor," said Ali Latoush, a
      21-year-old tailor who has worked in Jordan for 15 months. "I'm ready to
      become a martyr to keep the Americans out."

      Jordan has kept its borders open for civilians who have wanted to leave
      Iraq. As of Tuesday, few refugees had appeared on the border.

      The stream in the other direction, however is strong. From March 16 to
      24, 4330 Iraqis have returned to Iraq from Jordan, according to the Jordanian
      Foreign Ministry.

      Bus drivers who have traveled the road from Amman to the border town of
      Ruashiyeh since the start of war report an increase of traffic, saying about
      eight buses leave Amman for the Iraqi border each day. The vast majority
      of their passengers are men of fighting age who have traveled with only a
      few personal items, they said.

      The U.S. military warned Iraqi civilians Tuesday against using roads. A U.S.
      warplane intending to destroy a bridge dropped a bomb Monday that also hit a
      bus filled with Syrians evacuating Iraq. The Pentagon expressed regret.

      The 50 males aboard a packed Greyhound-size bus Tuesday that left downtown
      Amman, the fifth departure of the day, expressed more bravado than fear.

      Several men interviewed in the drizzling rain as they waited for the driver
      to load their blankets and small bags said they are experienced soldiers
      and want to take up guns against U.S. troops.

      "Whether we are Shiites or Sunnis, we are prepared to fight. The invaders
      made a big miscalculation if they thought otherwise," said Hussein Sharif,
      an accountant who said his older brother is fighting the allied forces at
      An Nasiriyah.

      In the Iraqi community in Jordan, pressure to return and fight is strong,
      with honor and dignity at stake.

      "How can I be happy when our country is under bombardment?" asked Zeid
      Ismail, 26. "If we (my family) are going to die, we are going to die
      together. If we are going to be saved, then I am going to be needed to
      help protect them. We don't want America or Britain to control our lives."