Re: blackout

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 26, 2003

      >Dear Kevin,
      >
      >Everything was up and running yesterday -- even the
      >Iraqi websites.
      >
      >Today there's nothing. No Iraqi websites, AND no
      >al-Jazeera website either. In fact their new English
      >website
      >
      >http://english.aljazeera.net
      >
      >, which is still just a sort of dummy site, with a few
      >articles are down.
      >
      >Their Arabic site is:
      >
      >http://www.aljazeera.net
      >
      >The disappearance of the Arabic site could
      >theoretically be due to excessive traffic. But the
      >English site is almost unknown and very bare looking
      >(I first saw it the other day and it didn't look like
      >it was updated very well, and anyhow it said it was
      >"preliminary" or "sample" or something.)
      >
      >Anyhow, since it's down too -- a site that shouldn't
      >have much traffic -- either they have a massive
      >problem with their server or else they're being
      >punished by the Americans for broadcasting pictures
      >from Baghdad and of the AngloAmerican POWs.
      >
      >The site:
      >
      >http://www.jihadunspun.net
      >
      >has a generally good perspective but is updated every
      >few days so it is not an up-to-the-minute source.
      >
      >But these days it's very hard to pull up too, probably
      >due to traffic. Although I'm beginning to suspect
      >that there's some sort of electronic war against Arab
      >and Islamic sites because all of them are hard to pull
      >up or missing.
      >
      >Unless it's a campaign against my computer -- less
      >likely. You might try pulling up
      >
      >http://www.aljazeera.net
      >
      >just to see if this is a problem outside of my
      >computer.

      Could well be that the battle is not going well for the Americans and
      the New York-Jerusalem axis want strict control of what the world
      learns about it. Al-Jazeera was kicked out of Wall Street, so this would
      be in character for them. In any case, I can't bring up the Arabic-
      language website either, so it's not just your computer. We'll have to
      make do with the Russian websites for objective war news for now.

      I attended another peace vigil yesterday evening. It was a smaller event
      than the 48-hour vigil over the weekend. No pro-war protestors on the
      sidewalk this time. The comments from passing motorists appear to be
      increasingly hostile, however. Could be we're unnerving them. As the
      vigil concluded, we were summoned to the Quaker-style circle, and the master
      of ceremonies said, "I want everyone to introduce themselves except Kevin.
      Kevin, don't introduce yourself." I suppose I've gained some notoriety.

      I agree with your assessment that an Amnesty International-style letter
      writing campaign to King Abdullah II of Jordan is not likely to result in
      Dr. Alloush's release. I'm sure he's being held at George Bush's pleasure.
      Thank you for keeping me informed.