images of American POWs a morale-booster for Arabs

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2003
      The following article, surprisingly objective for the Jew-media in time of
      war, appeared on page A8 of the monday 24 March 2003 edition of The Arizona
      Republic and is credited to Emily Wax of the Washington Post.

      --Kevin

      GRAPHIC TV FOOTAGE ROUSES UNEASY PRIDE IN ARAB WORLD

      Cairo--As the images of dead U.S. soldiers and shaken prisoners in Iraq
      flashed across Arab television Sunday night, reactions ranged from shame to
      tortured pride to uneasy happiness.

      This was a day, some said, that challenged the notion of U.S. invincibility.

      "Nobody wants war. Those children's parents don't want them to die,"
      Mosad Ahmad Osami said, leaning on his stool inside his sweet-smelling spice
      store and adjusting his glasses so he could watch his television more clearly.

      "I saw this and I thought, 'Good, President Bush knows his fancy missiles
      don't work,'" said Osami, 49, the father of three children. "We will win
      this war because God knows we are right."

      Then he shook his head and removed his thick glasses.

      "But it's all horrible. Look at me. How would anyone feel if their son was
      dead?" he said. "We all want to be happy because it's our enemy: America.
      This is what the world has become."

      The al-Jazeera network on Sunday repeatedly beamed footage of a number of
      dead U.S. soldiers, slumped over one another in an Iraqi morgue, and of
      another body in military uniform on a road behind a truck. The pictures,
      apparently recorded by Iraqi state television, were viewed in Cairo's
      noisy coffeehouses, in the lobbies of upscale hotels in Jordan and in
      living rooms in Beirut. The satellite channel also showed interviews with
      five U.S. prisoners of war.

      It was a contrast, almost a relief, some of those interviewed said, after
      three straight days of watching the video from Baghdad: U.S. missiles and
      bombs setting the night ablaze, wounded Iraqi children in hospital beds,
      heads wrapped in bandages, legs and arms broken.

      "Poor guys, poor guys. But what did they expect? The mother part of me
      is sad. But the Arab part of me is happy," said Maha Mahmoud, 46, a mother
      of three, who watched at a hotel in Amman, Jordan.

      "Sometimes, even as an Arab, I feel sad. But, my God, look at this, they
      came to die. Their hearts were broken when they came. Whenever I feel bad
      for them, I picture the images I saw of a seven-year-old Iraqi with half of
      his head blown off."

      "These images are not as cruel as the pictures of babies and civilians we
      have been seeing for the last two days," said Kazem Awaida, 28, a banker in
      Beirut who was spending time with friends when he saw the video. "This
      shows the U.S. is not untouchable."

      There was other news that provoked comment on the street. One report said
      that Americans had shot down a British plane, another that U.S. soldiers
      had been killed in fighting on the fiercest day of the war so far. People
      also heard that there was more resistance than expected in southern Iraq,
      that not all Iraqis were cheering for the liberation of their country.

      Political analysis on radio and television in Cairo and Beirut said that
      after a string of wars in which Arabs have felt powerless--two Palestinean
      uprisings, three Arab-Israeli wars and Israel's occupation of Lebanon in
      1982--Sunday's events were an emotional reversal.

      "The U.S. thinks it's all-powerful," said Rhama Ahmed, a waitress at a
      coffeehouse in Cairo. "But America has lost something today that's very
      important: it's confidence."