Double Deciduous Azaleas

  • Bruce Clyburn
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
      I was browsing a bit this morning and located the attached snap from an album posted by a lady. It was the only plant photo of many from a holiday tour, I'm sure she didn't recognize the uniqueness of the plant she captured. A double deciduous azalea. Has anybody pursued this line of hybridizing? I know the late Al Smith of the Horticultural Research Institute of Ontario of  Guelph University, Vineland Ontario carried out a line of these crosses.He used R. Chelsea Reach (a double Knaphill) as the seed parent. Some other folks have used R. Homebush (Knaphill double also) ... photo is attached is my Homebush.

      Can anyone put a name on the azalea in this photo?
      Has anyone done similar crosses?
      Anybody suggest good seed parents that throw doubles, like R. Chelsea Reach and R. Homebush?

      Bruce Clyburn
      New Waterford, NS
      Canada, zone 6a
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
        Bruce,

        I can't answer your questions, but I can point you to a number of
        pictures of double deciduous azaleas -- go to
        http://www.pbase.com/azaleasociety and type "double" into the search
        box to see a bunch of hits.

        Also, Allen Cantrell from SC <racantrell@...> is into"odd"
        deciduous azaleas and might know about good seed parents for doubles.

        Regards,
        Bob

        At 12:22 PM -0400 on 3/1/08, Bruce Clyburn wrote

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
          Thanks Bob:

          Some interesting hits came up!

          Also, Allen Cantrell from SC <racantrell@chesnet. net> is into"odd"
[...]

        • Allen Cantrell
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
            Bruce,

            Try Double Pleasure,  I have seen some seedling from it that came out double.  But I don't know if Double Pleasure would be hard for you.

            Allen  Cantrell
            Fern Gully Nursery.
            Chesnee, SC

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 1, 2008
              Bruce,

              There are a number of doubles around. Narcissiflora is an old timer.
              Cannon's Double, Corneille are all double. There are a couple of
              double R. occidentale as well. Crescent City Double is registered.
              It's SM 28-2. SM 28-3 is similar. Page 83 of Azaleas lists a number,
              Rustica or Double Ghent. Also Rustica Flora Plena hybrids.

              My very first cross was of an R. occidentale X R. bakeri and I
              reinvented Homebush. I have 4 or 5 plants and all are small double, 1
              or 2 have some yellow flare and a couple are fragrant. However, I have
              never gotten them to take pollen. I find an occasional OP pod and have
              a few plants from that. Similar to their parents.

              Since that cross, doubles have been my goal. I want a large frilly
              fragrant double that flowers in June – July. I am getting there. I am
              in the 5th or 6th generation now. I have a number of plants that have
              Crescent City Double in their parentage that are consistently double.
              I have crossed these with August Sunrise and September Surprise
              (arborscens x prunifolium) and should see a few flower this year. Some
              of these crosses produce very little pollen and don't take it very
              well either. Usually a double will have a few single flowers with
              pollen. A second generation cross using a large flower crossed with a
              frilly and that with a double, all R. occidentale, produced a 3" double.

              Arnesons had a number of doubles but I don't think they are around any
              more. Briggs was not interested. I did get a bit of pollen once and
              have several nice doubles from them.

              Frank Mossman crossed a double R. occidentale with Cecile and produced
              a nice large double. It was never named but I have plants.

              Allen Cantrell has several doubles from the wild. He collected cutting
              of my plants some years ago and sent me several of his. I think they
              will flower this year. More fodder for crossing.

              I get the digest so did not see your photo. I have photos of many of
              mine. You are welcome to contact me off group if you wish and I would
              be happy to collect pollen if anyone is interested.

              Dick 'Red' Cavender, Sherwood, Oregon Zone 8