storage of azalea seed

  • Jim Willhite
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 17, 2008
      Is it better to store azalea seed in the refrigerator, or in the freezer? I
      keep mine in the fridge, but a friend says it is a mistake and I should use
      the freezer instead. I try to sow all seed within a year of acquisition, so
      I wonder if it matters? thanks for your input

      Jim Willhite
      West Chester, PA
    • Bruce Clyburn
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 17, 2008
        Usually the ARS and ARHS seed is received too late for me to sow and have reasonable sized seedlings to put outside by June. I put in in the butter comparment of the fridge door in a ziplock baggie. There it stays until the following November or December. I used to put a silca gel packet in with it when the seed was in glassine envelopes. Stopped doing that when it started coming in small heat sealed poly bags.

        If there is a deterioration in quality I'm not aware of it. I usually end up growing on only 5% of what germinates for me so I have no complaints. On the other handle any pollen I recieve from RSF is in gel capsules and these are in 35 mm plastic film canisters. This always goes straight into the deep freeze. When I use some and have more left it's retuned to the deep freeze.

        Bruce Clyburn
        New Waterford, NS
        Canada

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 17, 2008
          Jim,
          I've stored seed both in the fridge and the freezer for multiple years no apparent deterioration in germination or seedling quality in either case.

          I've grown azalea seed stored in the refrigerator for 10 years, and seen no decrease in germination rate.
          This year I started about 35 seed lots stored in the freezer for the past 5 years with similar results.  Whatever the maximum time for storage is, I haven't hit it yet.  Perhaps really long term storage is best done in the freezer.

          Out 35 lots, there are always a few lots that have little or no germination, but this is true whether the seed is sown right away or 10 years later - the seed is either good or bad right from the beginning.

          In both cases (freezer and refrigerator), I keep the seed in plastic snap top containers.  This may be important for insulating the seed from the automatic defrost cycles that could raise their temp, but I don't know for sure.

          Joe Bruso, Hopkinton, MA

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 17, 2008
            Jim,
            I have stored azalea, rhododendron, and Kalmia seed in both the fridge and freezer with similar results, no problem germinating. I do add a small pouch of powdered sugar to the Zip-Loc bag to reduce moisture and not the silica-gel since the latter tends to dry out the germ too much and reduce germination. For me, 7-10 years seems to be the lifespan of stored seed though others have gone further.

            With my collected pollen, I first collect it in 00 or 000 gel caps and dry it in a desiccant bottle in the fridge 72 hours prior to freezing it. Frozen pollen may be kept that way foerever I guess. I have some 20 years old.

            Joe Schild
            Hixson, TN Zone 7a

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 18, 2008
              Joe Schild, Joe Bruso and Bruce C, thanks for your responses to my Q on
              seed. I won't worry about keeping it in the deep freeze.

              Jim Willhite
              West Chester, PA

              > Jim,
              > I have stored azalea, rhododendron, and Kalmia seed in both the fridge and
              > freezer with similar results, no problem germinating. I do add a small pouch
              > of powdered sugar to the Zip-Loc bag to reduce moisture and not the silica-gel
              > since the latter tends to dry out the germ too much and reduce germination.
              > For me, 7-10 years seems to be the lifespan of stored seed though others have
              > gone further.
              >
              > With my collected pollen, I first collect it in 00 or 000 gel caps and dry it
              > in a desiccant bottle in the fridge 72 hours prior to freezing it. Frozen
              > pollen may be kept that way foerever I guess. I have some 20 years old.
              >
              > Joe Schild
              > Hixson, TN Zone 7a

            • Bev
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 19, 2008
                What are the exact links to get seeds/seedlings from ARS and ARHS, and what are the prices?? I would love to have something different from the same old double/triple dark pink color that is out here... I think I saw a purple once and finding anything else is like chasing a unicorn!!

                Oh, and I tried to propagate the bush I have just to see if I can or not... how long until they normally get roots, I read 10 days to 2 weeks, and just wanna know if I should throw them in trash... I'm more interested in snagging Camellia clippings this summer anyways. Already bought all except the dirt needed to do that. *Smiles*

                .~*~._.~*~.BEVERLY.~*~._.~*~.
                California... Zone 9
                http://360.yahoo.com/beverlyreed2002
                "This above all; to thine own self be true."
                -William Shakespeare

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 21, 2008
                  Here are a couple shots of the one and only azalea I own, and sadly the only kind I've seen grown here locally in yards, and the only kind I can find at nurseries... It said it was a "Red Bird Azalea" but looks nothing like the pictures I've seen online! Some blooms come out with double petals and some come out (bloom) with three sets compared to the single I've seen in pictures.

                  Any Ideas of where to find new ones, hopefully affordable? Would be for my own personal enjoyment and probably live in a pot while I yell at my 2 little ones to NOT touch it... hahaha! I saw some pics of lovely orange and light purple ones, and please forgive me for being a beginner??

                  California... Zone 9
                  http://360.yahoo.com/beverlyreed2002
                  "The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing."
                  -John Powell