Attending ASA National Meetings

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2008
      Folks,

      I lack the eloquence to adequately convey to you the importance and the
      benefit of attending ASA National Meetings. Hosting a national meeting
      is a resource and time consuming commitment, but one which is personally
      satisfying on the sponsoring side as well as the attendee side. In many
      cases, it is the primary opportunity that one has to see old friends
      from all over the country who you otherwise cannot keep track of. The
      ASA National meeting provides the opportunity to meet new friends, to
      renew old friendships, to hear interesting speakers, to see world class
      gardens, to get garden design ideas for potential implementation back
      home, and to acquire rare, unusual, or new azalea introductions
      unavailable elsewhere. The learning opportunities abound. Invariably,
      the person next to you is an expert on something that you desire to
      learn how to do better.

      The level of hospitality is always high and covers the full spectrum of
      a small core group of high motivated individuals to, in some cases, a
      vast community wide effort (see the attached image), which demonstrates
      that everyone can be part of the plan. The attached image depicts two
      of the Tyler, TX, locals who turned out to do their part to greet
      attendees at the 2007 ASA National Meeting in Nacogdoches.

      The 2008 ASA National Meeting will be May 2-4, 2008 in Asheville, NC.
      Complete information is available on-line at:

      http://www.azaleas.org/convention08.html

      and details were also published in the Winter 2007 AZALEAN (Vol. 29, No. 4).

      Do yourself a favor and plan to attend the 2008 ASA National Meeting in
      Asheville. Be good to yourself. You deserve it.

      Bill Miller
      Bethesda, Maryland
      www.theazaleaworks.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2008
        I think you were very eloquent, Bill, and I thank you for your
        inspiring message. If you've been to a convention before you know
        what Bill said is all true. If you haven't been, it 's hard to
        imagine how much fun it is.

        Here are a few facts to urge every would-be attendee to go ahead and
        fill out your registration form NOW and mail it to me.

        "first-28-only tours" -
        - the Friday tour to Pilot Mountain* to see R. vaseyi in the wild now
        has 23 signups
        - the Saturday tour to Pilot Mountain* now has 3 signups
        - the Sunday tour to Southern Highlands Reserve now has 20 signups

        registration dates -
        -your registration date is the postmark date or the PayPal receipt date
        - if you register by March 1 the early registration fee is $40
        - from March 2 to April 1 the regular registration fee of $55 applies
        - we have to order and schedules the tour buses on April 1, so after
        that you *might* be able to still register if we have space on the
        buses, and the late registration fee is $80

        bottom line?
        - register by the end of next week -- and save yourself enough money
        to buy a convention t-shirt and/or some plants at the plant sale

        Regards,
        Bob Stelloh, 2008 Convention Registrar
        65 Sierra Drive
        Hendersonville NC 28739
        __________
        *To tie it all together, follow this link
        <http://www.pbase.com/image/1122600> to see a picture of Augie Kehr
        enjoying the view on Pilot Mountain back in 1981 -- the same view you
        can see 27 years later!

        At 8:26 AM -0500 on 2/1/08, William C. Miller III wrote

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 21, 2008
          I should have added to my earlier message that I was slow in
          processing the registration forms received to date, and am delinquent
          in acknowledging them. So far I have processed 34 forms (58
          attendees) and acknowledged none.

          I will be acknowledging them in a day or so, by email if you see this
          message, to let you know I got your registration form, and what my
          computer thinks your choices were -- to be looked over carefully by
          you so we can correct my mistakes before you get to the registration
          desk!

          Regards,
          Bob Stelloh Hendersonville NC USDA Zone 7

          At 12:11 PM -0500 on 2/21/08, Bob Stelloh wrote