[Fwd: Re: Red Hills Azalea]

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2007
      Here is some additional information regarding R. colemanii from Robbie McCormac at Elachee Nature Science Center.

      Bill Miller
      Bethesda, MD

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 15, 2007

        Just to let everyone know, the plant I purchased did come from Lazy K nursery. I purchased another plant on Friday at the local nursery as the flower buds looked different than the one I had gotten earlier. This one had tighter, smaller flower buds, if that makes sense. I’m still curious whether these are seedlings or cuttings from a particular plant.

        Mark Wright

        bill@theazaleaworks .com

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 15, 2007
          Mark,

          If there was a tag with either of your plant acquisitions, what was written on the tag?  Was the tag manufactured or written on with a grease marker?  Include all punctuation (e.g., single quotes which would indicate a cultivar name, TM which would indicate a trademark name, or R which would indicate a Registered name.)

          I searched the Lazy K Nursery Web site for a list of their plants and located their mail order catalog.  Unfortunately, it was dated Fall 2004 - Spring 2005.  Further, there was no mention of Red Hills azalea, May Pink, or Rhododendron colemanii.  A second undated list was similar but it dropped a few cultivars, added a few cultivars, but there was still no mention of Red Hills, May Pink, or R. colemanii.

          Bill Miller
          Bethesda, Maryland
          www.theazaleaworks.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007

            Bill,

            I can’t say whether this is a tag produced by the local nursery or by Lazy K…..it’s a plastic wrap around, b/w, laser printed. It doesn’t really tell us much. Nonetheless here’s what it says:

            “RED HILLS AZALEA

            RHODODENDRON COLEMANII

            NEW SPECIES BLOOMS PINK

            TO WHITE IN MAY

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 18, 2007

              Ernest, at Lazy K, probably got the info from Clarence Towe. Clarence is very familiar with our naming of this new species.

              Steve Yeatts

              Athens, GA