Re: [AZ] Garden culture of Rhododendron prinophyllum?

  • GruenUhu@aol.com
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 30, 2007
      Frank Abbott pic.                         Joe

      Joe Nemmer
      Mercer,Pa. zone 5a

    • sjperk5
      Message 51 of 51 , Jul 28, 2008
        Clarence wrote the following about this Vermont Life image of
        Rhododendron 'Margaret Abbott'

        Yes, this is it. If you will notice, all the tubes appear yellow on
        the outside due to the yellow pigment inside the tubes. For a yellow
        blotch to grow deep inside the tube is a most unusual trait. Sure
        hope you are able to locate the plant and get it propagated. Good
        luck!

        Clarence

        --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "sjperk5" <sjperk5@...> wrote:

        > Bill
        >
        > Sally sent the image of Rhododendron 'Margaret Abbott' from the
        > Vermont Life article to Clarence Towe.
        >
        > On inspection of this image, Clarence is positive the Vermont Life
        > article image shows the real Rhododendron 'Margaret Abbott'.
        >
        > We have reason to believe we can locate Rhododendron 'Margaret
        > Abbott' next year and hope to have an image to post on this forum.
        >
        > John Perkins
        > Salem, NH
        >
        > --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "sjperk5" <sjperk5@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Bill
        > >
        > > The image was taken at the Abbott's homestead as part of an
        article
        > > written about Frank Abbott where Frank was personally being
        > > interviewed about the 2 plants he had named and why.
        > >
        > > Clarence Towe once saw Rhododendron 'Margaret Abbott' and claims
        > the
        > > image in this article is the real deal. Clarence told us if we
        > could
        > > find the article then we would have an image of 'Margaret Abbott'
        > >
        > > The image matches what Frank describes in this article.
        > >
        > > The grandson who lives in Denver admits he knows very little
        about
        > > azaleas. He asked Sally and I to go visit the Abbott homestead in
        > > hopes of us learning about what is still there.
        > >
        > > Clarence looked at the image supplied by the grandson and stated
        > that
        > > there was no way that was 'Margaret Abbott'.
        > >
        > > We showed Clarence the web album we took at the Abbott homestead
        > and
        > > he stated that only 2 of the images could be 'Margaret Abbott'
        and
        > > one appeared to be too pink and the other image did not show the
        > face
        > > of the azalea well enough for him to decide one way or the other.
        > >
        > > These 2 plants were next to one another in the garden.
        > >
        > > Frank Abbott gave azaleas to the Arnold and we are attempting to
        > > track down what happened to them.
        > >
        > > Abbott's home town in Vermont is suppose to be littered with
        Abbott
> [...]
        > > grandson is wrong and the image in the article is correct as high
        > > very high.
        > >
        > > Frank Abbott was still alive when the article was published so
        the
        > > chances they got the images wrong for the only 2 plants he ever
        > named
        > > are low.
        > >
        > > Here is reprint of part of the article
        > >
        > > http://rosebay.org/chapterweb/rosebay/vol_4_no_1.htm
        > >
        > > John Perkins
        > > Salem, NH
        > >

        > > --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, "William C. Miller III" <bill@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > John,
        > > >
        > > > Help me out here --- a bunch of questions. I don't
        > know 'Margaret
        > > > Abbott', and my understanding of plant behavior needs
        improvement.

        > > > Item 1: What is the basis for your confidence in the accuracy
        of
        > > the
        > > > copyrighted image? The IRRC simply states: "white with lemon
        > > yellow
        > > > blotch." What are your limits for "acceptable variation"
        within
        > > > cultivar? Given that the seed parent typically shows forms in a
        > > full
        > > > range from extreme white (rare according to Galle) to a
        > respectable
        > > > purplish pink (as do canescens and periclymenoides) and the
        > pollen
        > > > parent shows forms from yellow through orange to red -- is it
        not
        > > > curious that such a cross would result in an extreme white so
        > > suggestive
        > > > of the seed parent? This suggests zero, zip, nada contribution
        > > from
        > > > calendulaceum with the possible exception of the yellow blotch
        > not
        > > > generally found in prinophyllum. Perhaps it would help if we
        > knew
        > > what
        > > > the parents looked like. Did the seed parent have a yellow
        > > blotch? How
        > > > does the cultivar 'Margaret Abbott' behave in terms of period
        of
        > > bloom,
        > > > plant habit, and fragrance. What are the characteristics
        > > in 'Margaret
        > > > Abbott' that point to prinophyllum over arborescens? You have
        > > ruled out
        > > > the possibility that the seed parent was actually arborescens?
        > > >
        > > > Item 2: You didn't elaborate on your concern about the ASA
        > image.
        > > I am
        > > > reading between the lines that you dismiss the image provided
        by
        > > the
        > > > grandson because there are other arborescens on the property
        and
        > > image
        > > > shows reddish stamens. Could not the color in the stamen be

        Abbott'

        > signs
        > > of

        The