Re: [AZ] Interspecific Hybrid Question

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007
      Both accidental and intentional crosses between
      deciduous and evergreen azaleas are VERY uncommon. I
      have been hand pollinating between deciduous and
      evergreen azaleas for several years now and as yet
      have had no seedlings to bloom yet (the results of
      which could confirm a cross) though I do have
      seedlings growing from such hand-polllinated crosses.

      If you think the plant with opposite leaves in your
      pot is an azalea, I think you are mistaken. I know of
      no azalea or rhododendron that has opposite leaves. I
      think the opposite-leaved seedling with hairy leaves
      is probably an herbaceous perennial or annual plant,
      but not an azalea. The seed must have dropped into
      your pot from another plant nearby. It looks a bit
      like a Rhexia, Meadow Beauty, to me. The
      opposite-leaved plant may be killed back by frost if
      outdoors.

      Mike Creel

      --- Angela Mckinney <tnangela1969@...> wrote:
      [this is from the ASK US page, so please send me a CC]

      > How common are interspecific hybrids between
      deciduous azaleas and evergreen azaleas? I have
      several seedlings from an attempt at such a cross (I'm
      fairly sure of the parents) and one seedling looks
      unlike any of my deciduous or evergreen azaleas...in
      fact it looks unlike any azalea I've ever seen.

      I have some other small seedlngs from the same seed
      pod (deciduous mother) and they are looking much more
      deciduous like...and in fact I only planted the seeds
      from this lone deciduous azalea seed pod and no
      evergreen azaleas this year. Would this cross be
      considered an azaleodendron?

      http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/tncamellia/azalea/aza03018.jpg

    • Sandra McDonald

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 12, 2007

          Yes, I think you are right Sandra.

          It looks like a weed, and Mike is correct that it could not be a rhododendron with opposite leaves.

          Harold

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 13, 2007
            --- In azaleas@yahoogroups.com, Sandra McDonald <sfmcdonald@...>
            wrote:

            > The photo looks a lot like the weed mouse ear chickweed to me. You
            > should know for sure before very long!
            > Sandra
            >

            > >How common are interspecific hybrids between deciduous
            > >azaleas and evergreen azaleas? I have several
            > >seedlings from an attempt at such a cross (I'm fairly
            > >sure of the parents) and one seedling looks unlike any
            > >of my deciduous or evergreen azaleas...in fact it
            > >looks unlike any azalea I've ever seen. I have some
            > >other small seedlngs from the same seed pod (deciduous
            > >mother) and they are looking much more deciduous
            > >like...and in fact I only planted the seeds from this
            > >lone deciduous azalea seed pod and no evergreen
            > >azaleas this year. Would this cross be considered an
            > >azaleodendron?
            > ><http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/tncamellia/azalea/aza03018.
            jpg>http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m85/tncamellia/azalea/aza03018.
            jpg

            After looking at mouse ear chickweed...I have to agree with you also.
            Thank you.