small azaleas

  • frank gicalone
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007
      What are dwarf azaleas? I bought some very small azaleas from a nursery this summer, They bloom constantly. They don't seem to be growing though. Can you tell me what they are? I planted them in the front of my house facing south. I live in Jacksonville, FL. Also It is now November. is it too late to fertilize them?

      Locie Gicalone
      Jacksonville, FL.
    • George Klump
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2007

        Locie,

        There are dwarf azaleas, azaleas which tend to stay under 1 1/2 feet or even 1 foot in height,  Some are even smaller than that.  Many of the Satsuki azaleas are this way.  There used to be a type called 'Gumpo' and another called 'Macrantha' both of which were very low growing azalea types.  In recent years it is my understanding that one or both of those names have seen less general usage.  And there are other varieties beyond these.

        If yours are always full of blooms, let them be.  I trust that you have some shade at least part of the day on the south side of your home, since full unadulterated sun all day in the summer may cause some leaf burn, if the root zones are not kept cool which means that there might not be enough water in the root zones to take care of the azalea during that kind of heat.  The reason I said "Satsuki" azaleas is because they tend to bloom all the time.  I have many in my yard and I can count on some of them somewhere in the garden always being in bloom at any given time.

        Since you are in Jacksonville, Florida, I would definitely hold up on any fertilizer at this time.  Wait until after your freeze time is past and, then, you may fertilize them with a high phosphorous fertilizer, e.g. 10-30-10 or some equivalent.  I don't have a "freeze time" here as such, so that it not really something with which I must contend every year.  Therefore I fertilize my plants at Easter, 4th of July and Labor Day, the latter with a high nitrogen fertilizer, e.g. 30-10-10. . . .like that.  The point is that you do not want new leaves growing on your azaleas just about the time you get a freeze overnight.  That will burn the plant unnecessarily and, if the freeze is hard enough, it will burn the plant fatally.

        Just be sure that the soil you have planted the azaleas in is a light one and on the acidic side.  Azaleas love a somewhat acidic soil and require excellent drainage.  That means that the water should drain through the soil almost as fast as it comes in.  Azaleas do not mind having their roots wet, but they are not aquatic plants.  Root rot can take place in soils with poor drainage.

        Thanks for your questions.

        George Klump
        Southern California Chapter, ASA

        What are dwarf azaleas? I bought some very small azaleas from a nursery this summer, They bloom constantly. They don't seem to be growing though. Can you tell me what they are? I planted them in the front of my house facing south. I live in Jacksonville, FL. Also It is now November. is it too late to fertilize them?

        Locie Gicalone
        Jacksonville, FL.

      • S. M. Henning
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2007
          Locie Gicalone wrote:

          >What are dwarf azaleas? I bought some very small azaleas from a
          >nursery this summer, They bloom constantly. They don't seem to be
          >growing though. Can you tell me what they are? I planted them in the
          >front of my house facing south. I live in Jacksonville, FL. Also It
          >is now November. is it too late to fertilize them?

          They are frequently cultivated to make Bonsai. The following
          websites have information for you:

          http://www.bonsaisite.com/satsuki.html

          http://www.rockymtnbonsai.org/html/azaleas.html
          --
          Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

          http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

          http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html