Re:Azalea Question

  • S. M. Henning
    Message 1 of 33 , Oct 10, 2007
      Karen Gamber of Detroit wrote:

      >My boss received an azalea plant for her new office. Will it eventually
      >have to be planted outside? Is an office a good place for these plants?

      Hi Karen,

      These are called Greenhouse Azaleas. There is an excellent posting
      on this very subject at:

      http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/h144azalea.html
      --
      Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

      http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

      http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html
    • Joe Schild
      Message 33 of 33 , Apr 15, 2015

        Mike,
        Many years ago I learned that the hybrid azaleas like Formosa and GLT will reduce  the bud blast if planted in a northernly orientation. It seems that southern or eastern exposures allow the soil and air temps to rise more and push blooms into swelling sooner. I guess that everyone has seen the lack of azalea blooms at the Agusta golf match. Most of the azaleas there are the Southern Indica group.

        Joe Schild--Hixson, TN  7a