[AZ] cut back azaleas

  • George Klump
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10 12:43 PM

      Susan,

      Do not cut your azaleas now, since this will remove all chance of flowers for next year.  Let them be as they are for now.  When they bloom next year, trim them back right after they have finished flowering.  New growth this year contains the flowers for next year.  If you do not care about the flowers for next year, then, you can go ahead and trim them now.  However, personally, I would wait until after they've bloomed next season.

      George Klump
      Southern California Chapter

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 11 6:38 AM
        "P Susan Busby" <mailto:s1061@...?Subject=
        Re%3Acut%20back%20azaleas>wrote:

        >I live in Columbia, SC (zone 8) and have many overgrown azaleas that
        >were not trimmed/cut back after the blooming season this year. Is
        >there a safe time for me to cut them back this Fall or Winter?

        Hi Susan,

        Thanks for writing to the azalea group.

        Azaleas produce the flower buds for the next season during the prior
        summer. So this summer, your plants were producing the flower buds
        for next year. If you prune them now it will remove some of those
        buds and reduce next years bloom. It is your decision as to which is
        more important, making them look well kept or two weeks or so of
        bloom next spring. You will probably get some bloom even if you
        prune them. If they bloomed mainly at the ends of branches, then you
        probably won't get any bloom. But if they bloomed uniformly over the
        plant, the part you don't remove will still bloom and will probably
        have bigger and better blooms.

        As far as hurting the plant, that is not a consideration. Azaleas
        can be pruned any time. The timing is normally determined by the
        desire to have more blooms. If the desire to have a good looking
        plant is more important, the go ahead and prune. Just don't expect
        many blooms next year. It is always good to remove any dead branches.
        --
        Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA Zone 6

        http://rhodyman.net/rasite.html

        http://rhodyman.net/rabooks.html