Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: DomeBed question

Expand Messages
  • Mike Creel
    The domes were actually a 58 quart and I believe a 60 quart translucent office storage box. The smaller box was actually quite successful (but the media was
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      The domes were actually a 58 quart and I believe a 60
      quart translucent office storage box. The smaller box
      was actually quite successful (but the media was
      somehow different in and around the larger box/dome).
      I regularly checked the wicking (to the center) of
      water applied to the outsidd margins of the box. The
      media I used was natural, half and half site local
      sand and site local pine humus.

      I was trying to duplicate the principles of a nurselog
      in the wild. Among the several errors I made, one was
      improper media. I should have use a uniform,
      soil-free media that extended 2 feet or so beyond the
      dome. A pulverized fully rotten log would have been
      perfect media or something of that sort. Also I
      needed a taller, wider shade enclosure to prevent
      overheating of the dome in all seasons.

      It would also be wise to dig out the media area for a
      domebod first and line it with a sheet of black
      plastic perforated to provide drainage and increase
      moistness. A liner would prevent the natural soil
      outside of the domebed from stealing moisture from the
      bed. I wish that perforated drain pipe were made in
      large sizes so I could cut it in half lengthwise and
      use that as an inground domepot with a series of
      domes.
      A critical aspect of any and every domepot, also a
      domebed (which is still experimental) is to have a
      wide enough perimeter of open media (the same
      consistency of the media under/inside the dome)
      outside of the dome to provide for water entry and the
      wicking of water from outside the dome over to the
      center.

      Did you see my earlier photos of the two domebed?
      Also did you read my message explaing what went wrong
      and proposed solutions?

      I am glad that DomePots are working for you. Large
      plastic colanders and hanging baskets (drilled to
      increase drainage) work great to hold media in a
      domepot device. You just center a clear dome over the
      media and wire it down.

      Mike Creel, Lexington SC

      --- Landon Davis III <lld3@...> wrote:

      > Hi Mike:
      >
      > I have in the past not been very successful with
      > cuttings, but this year I seem to be having success
      > using your dome pot method and one gallon clear
      > plastic water jugs. Thanks for your
      > experimentation.
      >
      > I wonder if the reason you had mixed success with
      > the 55 gallon domes was that the distance was too
      > far from the water source (sidewall) to the middle
      > where the plants were. Perhaps the water did not
      > migrate that great a distance.
      >
      > Landon Davis
      > Richmond, Virginia
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.