DomePots of interest, 3 different media

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2007
      This season and last I have been expanding the types
      of media I use in domepots, and I am always trying new
      and different containers to convert into domepots.

      One of the most successful pots (shown in photos) has
      been a very small hanging basket (drilled to increase
      drainage) with half of a 2 liter drink bottle as the
      humidity dome. The mini-hanging basket has rooted a
      high percentage of Camp's Red cumberlandense (6 or 7
      cuttings rooted in a pot of 10) year before last and
      most recently some Yaffle calendulaceum stuck in late
      October 2006.

      I have been buying $1 plastic colanders (check out the
      photos) from the dollar store and using them as
      domepots for cuttings filled with long-fiber sphagnum
      moss (prefer live moss), medium coarse perlite and a
      pinebark mix.

      The colanders have a short pedestal that keeps them
      upright, level and off the ground. I sometimes make
      hanging baskets from colanders. Colanders need no
      extra drain holes, they drain perfectly with a wide
      variety of media. I use my pocketknife awl to make a
      second hole on the side for attaching a hold-down wire
      to the humidity dome.

      I can gather sphagnum moss from along a creek behind a
      friend's house here in the country or from the edge of
      the large pond on our family farm about 3 hours away.

      I use fresh green and store-bought long fiber sphagnum
      moss for propagation and in the floating pots that I
      grow carnivorous plants in within my garden pond.
      Today I found some California Cobra Plant pitcher
      plant growing with another pitcher plant that I bought
      from a nursery in Cullowhee, NC, Darwin Thomas at
      Darwin's Backyard.

      Mike Creel, Lexington, SC