RE: Hanging azalea

  • Linda Rose
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2007
      Can I bring my hanging azalea into the house during the winter
      months,? Or, can it be left outside to winter over. Do I have to
      prune if left outside?

      Thank you.

      Linda Rose
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 30, 2007
        IF your hanging basket azalea is a recently acquired
        greenhouse grown florist' azalea is it probably not
        winter hardy unless you are in hardiness zones 8, 9 or
        10. It is really too late in the season to prune
        outdoor growing azaleas since their new growth will be
        killed by frost, if you are in an area with winter
        frosts. If you have a good sunroom the azalea could
        survive the winter indoors, but it is not the best of
        house plants, since it requires good sunlight. Where
        do you live and what labels were on the azalea?
        Mike Creel, Lexington, SC